foodies thread, and other food lists!

3 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Another each state list, this time "The most famous local sandwich"

Good list and pretty close to what I've seen...except...

I've lived in Illinois on 2 separate occasions and I've never even heard of "a horseshoe sandwich." Should be an Italian Beef...

And a breakfast sandwich for New Jersey? Are you kidding? Jersey Mike's aside, that state has more great sub sandwiches in Mom and pop places than anyplace I know... a visit to White House subs alone is worth risking life and limb in that craphole Atlantic City... 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Tastiest Grilled cheese in each state.

Lot's of options besides just cheese!

The best grilled cheese I ever had was the Quechee Gorge sold at the Woodstock Farmers' Market in Woodstock VT. Sadly it appears to be no longer on the menu. It does get mentioned in a number of articles just like this one, though, and the internet says it had smoked Vermont cheddar, provolone, parrano cheeses, along with tomatoes and honey cup mustard, grilled on roasted garlic parmesan bread. My wife spent a couple months trying to recreate the recipe at home, after trying the sandwich on a family trip to Killington.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Tastiest Grilled cheese in each state.

Lot's of options besides just cheese!

My wife and I go to the Union Kitchen in Kingwood for lunch sometimes... Their 2 grilled cheeses are both killer...Lobster grilled cheese and a beef short rib grilled cheese... I tried to post a pic, but kept getting an error... 

Look under sandwiches

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My wife and I go to the Union Kitchen in Kingwood for lunch sometimes... Their 2 grilled cheeses are both killer...Lobster grilled cheese and a beef short rib grilled cheese... I tried to post a pic, but kept getting an error... 

Look under sandwiches

They look great, I like bacon jams, but man I'm having a tough time with the price of eating out anymore! Yesterday, I went through a fast food drive thru, ordered a number 1 and it was $11???

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 4

On 8/18/2022 at 10:05 AM, IUFLA said:

Good list and pretty close to what I've seen...except...

I've lived in Illinois on 2 separate occasions and I've never even heard of "a horseshoe sandwich." Should be an Italian Beef...

And a breakfast sandwich for New Jersey? Are you kidding? Jersey Mike's aside, that state has more great sub sandwiches in Mom and pop places than anyplace I know... a visit to White House subs alone is worth risking life and limb in that craphole Atlantic City... 

Agree with Italian beef. Wife grew up in Illinois and every time I go there it’s the local ❤️ On the menu….pizza place we eat at and it’s the only sand which on the menu. Down here in Florida all the Chicago shops/diner/pizza places has a Italian beef on it…and delicious.

Also living in Kentucky for way way longer than I care to admit…the hot brown is not a “thing”. I’m sure it’s a big deal in Louisville but the rest of the state it isn’t. Never seen it on a menu anywhere. Probably say a pulled pork bbq sandwich is the most popular “non-burger” or would go with a “nashville” style or Buffalo chicken sandwich because they are on every menu.

Ps…open faced is not a sandwhich…anything you have to eat with a fork should be disqualified.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

In my opinion cheeseburger is far too low and there is a buffalo chicken(maybe its new?) not on the list that's really good. Otherwise not a bad list and fully agree with the top 2. 

Hot Pockets ranked

Anything with just cheese or any that contain broccoli sinks to the bottom for me... And meatball, while good, doesn't stack up to pepperoni or pepperoni and sausage... I'm not real high on the Philly Cheese steak Hot Pockets either... Make one with just onions and Cheese Whiz and maybe I'd convert... 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Anything with just cheese or any that contain broccoli sinks to the bottom for me... And meatball, while good, doesn't stack up to pepperoni or pepperoni and sausage... I'm not real high on the Philly Cheese steak Hot Pockets either... Make one with just onions and Cheese Whiz and maybe I'd convert... 

I agree. No broccoli in a hot pocket. Also would have put the bbq beef higher and pepperoni and sausage above meatball. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Korean is at the top of my list of favorites. Kimchi is a fridge staple. 

I love kimchi too... I buy the one they have in Costco... Jongga I think is the brand...

When I was a young airman living in the dorm, a coworker who was married to a Korean lady would bring it in for lunch... Shared some with me, and she started making me a jar every so often...

Killer stuff... Almost all Air Force bases will have a good Korean Restaurant near them... 

• Like 2

On 9/7/2022 at 11:25 AM, IUFLA said:

I love kimchi too... I buy the one they have in Costco... Jongga I think is the brand...

When I was a young airman living in the dorm, a coworker who was married to a Korean lady would bring it in for lunch... Shared some with me, and she started making me a jar every so often...

Killer stuff... Almost all Air Force bases will have a good Korean Restaurant near them... 

not a Kimchi guy at all…but anything Ramen is a huge winner for me. Not talking Top Ramen but rather restaurant quality. The only home ramen I eat is Nongshim Shin Black Noodle…add my own chicken or pork to it and a soft boiled egg and it’s a huge winner for me.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

not a Kimchi guy at all…but anything Ramen is a huge winner for me. Not talking Top Ramen but rather restaurant quality. The only home ramen I eat is Nongshim Shin Black Noodle…add my own chicken or pork to it and a soft boiled egg and it’s a huge winner for me.

I am such a fan of good Ramen. Because of Top Ramen/Cup o' Noodles, it's gotten a bad rap in the US for far too long.

I was in Tokyo a few years ago for work and was lucky enough to get introduced to Tonkotsu and it completely hooked me. Like anything, using the best ingredients and cooking the elements to 'layer' the flavors is an absolute must.

I had it for my most recent birthday dinner. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I am such a fan of good Ramen. Because of Top Ramen/Cup o' Noodles, it's gotten a bad rap in the US for far too long.

I was in Tokyo a few years ago for work and was lucky enough to get introduced to Tonkotsu and it completely hooked me. Like anything, using the best ingredients and cooking the elements to 'layer' the flavors is an absolute must.

I had it for my most recent birthday dinner. 

No doubt. Home ramen is pretty bad…Shin Black is only I consider edible…again only with added ingredients…but we have a few korean and Thai restaurants that are pretty good. One near me I like to grab dim sum from for lunch with a co-worker once a week. Just love the variety.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just want White Castles in Texas... At least in the Houston area... More specifically off the Texas Highway 242 exit on I-69... 

Wow. I just assumed that chains had no boundaries anymore. No White Castle in Texas? I would think it's a perfect match for at least somewhere in the state. We'd come down from Chicago to Indy for Christmas for family get togethers and they would always involve at least 100+ White Castles.

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow. I just assumed that chains had no boundaries anymore. No White Castle in Texas? I would think it's a perfect match for at least somewhere in the state. We'd come down from Chicago to Indy for Christmas for family get togethers and they would always involve at least 100+ White Castles.

The nearest White Castle to me is in Cape Giradeau, Missouri...650+ miles away...

As far as the 100 White Castles, back in the day when my aunt would give me and Dad her Indy 500 tickets (she worked at Human and Co. In Terre Haute) we'd stop at the White Castle in Greenwood and get 100. They were like 17 ¢ a piece back then, so $17 bucks.

The distinctive smell of a Slider would get to people sitting around us. They'd pay $1 a piece to get some... Pretty good return on Dad's investment 🙂

I can get the frozen ones here, but it's not the same... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The nearest White Castle to me is in Cape Giradeau, Missouri...650+ miles away...

As far as the 100 White Castles, back in the day when my aunt would give me and Dad her Indy 500 tickets (she worked at Human and Co. In Terre Haute) we'd stop at the White Castle in Greenwood and get 100. They were like 17 ¢ a piece back then, so $17 bucks.

The distinctive smell of a Slider would get to people sitting around us. They'd pay $1 a piece to get some... Pretty good return on Dad's investment 🙂

I can get the frozen ones here, but it's not the same... 

The track and White Castles go hand in hand.

I've got plans to be around people all weekend with football parties,etc....so I won't run over and get any but man I'm craving some sliders at 945am. Amazing the things we take for granted when it's close by.

• Like 1