Athlon picks IU 9th in conference

Madison22

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of these preseason IU predictions aren’t surprising. We are coming off an NIT season and lost our 2 best players. 

We have a lot to prove and I can’t wait for games to start. 

I’m more surprised by all the love Illinois is getting. That program has been a disaster with transfers, late signings of unranked players, and one guy ruled ineligible. But I have to admit their core is fairly solid. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I have been angry with the prognosticators the last 3 years.  Turns out they have been right.  I won't let my crimson glasses fool me again.

If you read in the comments (under the linked ITH article), Athlon has been very wrong both directions for IU.

I just get the feeling that Athlon bases a lot of their predictions based on the previous season's performance.  IU this season is chock full of unknowns. Partly due so many games lost last season due to injury.  We even had one guy who many felt would have been one of our best players, lose the entire season, due to a condition. Even a sensation freshman, would played was hampered with a wrist injury.

Knock on wood.  IU won't get hit by the injury bug, like last year.  And in that respect, IU could surprise.  Personally, I think they will.

Being ranked 9th and 10th, I  hope would motivate, to prove the predictions wrong.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

All of these preseason IU predictions aren’t surprising. We are coming off an NIT season and lost our 2 best players. 

We have a lot to prove and I can’t wait for games to start. 

I’m more surprised by all the love Illinois is getting. That program has been a disaster with transfers, late signings of unranked players, and one guy ruled ineligible. But I have to admit their core is fairly solid. 

Regarding Illinois, saw that Underwood offered 54 players for 2020. So far, no commits. 30 have either committed elsewhere or dropped Illinois from their lists

17 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Regarding Illinois, saw that Underwood offered 54 players for 2020. So far, no commits. 30 have either committed elsewhere or dropped Illinois from their lists

That just reeks of desperation.  I'll bet recruits notice that pretty quick.

Out of curiosity, how many has Archie offered for 2020?  Seems like a bunch although surely not even half of Illinois' number

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

That just reeks of desperation.  I'll bet recruits notice that pretty quick.

Out of curiosity, how many has Archie offered for 2020?  Seems like a bunch although surely not even half of Illinois' number

No idea on CAM offers, but humorous how Illini beat writer spins it as a positive 

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/good-morning-illini-nation-updates-on-all-class-of-stars/article_b9e15459-af53-57a0-98ed-206b722e8495.html

25 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Sounds like Iowa State in football. Feel like they offer everyone. 

I live in Ames, but don't follow ISU football recruiting.  That seems odd since Matt Campbell seems like a hot commodity right now.  Also, it is funny that you mention ISU, because many of them make fun of IU football and how bad they are.  I have no retaliation.  

I think one great thing about Coach Miller's ability to get three talented 2020 recruits committed at a relatively early date, is that he can now hone in on guys he feels he needs to complete this class.  More recruits committed now. Means more time he can allocate and concentrate on other priority targets.

32 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Top 5. Book it. 

If Hunter and everyone else is and stays healthy, I think it will happen.

People tend to forget we were 12-2 and looking pretty damn good before the wheels fell off, which coincided with multiple injuries / missed games by key players, and the loosely reported locker room issues. And Rob is now an experienced point guard. I think we're going to be pretty good -- health depending. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If Hunter and everyone else is and stays healthy, I think it will happen.

People tend to forget we were 12-2 and looking pretty damn good before the wheels fell off, which coincided with multiple injuries / missed games by key players, and the loosely reported locker room issues. And Rob is now an experienced point guard. I think we're going to be pretty good -- health depending. 

Who knows how we will do this year, but that 12-2 start last year heavily involved 2 guys who moved on to pro careers.

We don't know what we are going to get this year.  Everything could fall into place and we do really well, or past could be prologue and things don't go so well.  I frankly could see either happening.

Archived