The 2019-20 College Basketball Season (non-IU)

5fouls

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

I think it's hilarious when fans are blamed for program incompetence 

They are part of it and if our fans would just take their heads out of the sand they would see it.  I have heard Ryan Phillips on Assembly call who now works for the Athletic talk about the fan base perception nationally.  He said our reputation nationally is not good and that they see us a spoiled fan base who are irrational.

1 hour ago, mchenry34 said:

haha! YES!

Watching a football game with OSU fans is a completely different experience than watching a basketball game with them...

I am glad you come back and pointed that out.  I got some Buckeye friends.  And I don't like being around them during football season...

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They are part of it and if our fans would just take their heads out of the sand they would see it.  I have heard Ryan Phillips on Assembly call who now works for the Athletic talk about the fan base perception nationally.  He said our reputation nationally is not good and that they see us a spoiled fan base who are irrational.

First off their are idiot fans everywhere, no sports team is devoid of them.  And I'm not defending the idiots, there will be idiots regardless of circumstance.  The problem with a fan base like ours is impatience not an inordinate amount of idiots.  And it's easy to understand why the general sentiment of Hoosier fans is impatience.

We've spent 2.5 decades as a mediocre power 5 program.  Yes, even with a few big 10 championships and a final 4 it's been overall very mediocre on a scale which weighs power 5 programs.  I've seen data to back this up but I cant take the time to find it and link it.  Though its hard to argue we've been one of the top 20 or so programs over that timeframe.  And IMO if you arent a top 20ish program, you're mediocre.  

Obviously, Indiana experienced a dominant stretch with Knight in the 70s and 80s.  This was "your father's Hoosier Basketball" era.  At its core Indiana is a basketball state and IU has historically been the centerpiece surrounded by legendary high schools and Indiana-bred players.  

So impatience amongst the fans is inevitable when an historically elite program, with seemingly every inherent advantage, has a prolonged mediocre stretch as we have.  The impatience is associated with the mediocrity, obviously.  But to say the fans' impatience is, in part, causal is misplaced.  I dont think you have to dig much deeper than the IU administration to find the root cause. 

6 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

First off their are idiot fans everywhere, no sports team is devoid of them.  And I'm not defending the idiots, there will be idiots regardless of circumstance.  The problem with a fan base like ours is impatience not an inordinate amount of idiots.  And it's easy to understand why the general sentiment of Hoosier fans is impatience.

We've spent 2.5 decades as a mediocre power 5 program.  Yes, even with a few big 10 championships and a final 4 it's been overall very mediocre on a scale which weighs power 5 programs.  I've seen data to back this up but I cant take the time to find it and link it.  Though its hard to argue we've been one of the top 20 or so programs over that timeframe.  And IMO if you arent a top 20ish program, you're mediocre.  

Obviously, Indiana experienced a dominant stretch with Knight in the 70s and 80s.  This was "your father's Hoosier Basketball" era.  At its core Indiana is a basketball state and IU has historically been the centerpiece surrounded by legendary high schools and Indiana-bred players.  

So impatience amongst the fans is inevitable when an historically elite program, with seemingly every inherent advantage, has a prolonged mediocre stretch as we have.  The impatience is associated with the mediocrity, obviously.  But to say the fans' impatience is, in part, causal is misplaced.  I dont think you have to dig much deeper than the IU administration to find the root cause. 

Was not my fathers era but I grew up with RMK as the coach.  I don't think they have been patient with Archie at all since there have been many fans on other sites and social media already calling for his head.  I am not one of those who were even for the hire but any coach needs at least 4 years before making any kind of judgment unless of off court problems.

16 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Not saying this is gospel, but here's a relatively reliable source that puts us at #18 since 1997: https://kenpom.com/programs.php

Edit: For those that want the summary, that puts us at 3.5-ish in the B10.  MSU is #6, OSU #11 and Wisconsin #16.  Maryland is #13, but half that time they were in the ACC, and that's what I'm accounting for the 0.5. 

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

unless of off court problems.

Of which there have been basically zero.  One failed weed test with a 3 game suspension in 2.5 years.  CAM is building the right culture.  So long as everyone stays, next year is a top 15 team.  Had this team added a surefire starting guard or perimeter player, this would be a surefire top 15 team.  I will beg for an immediately eligible transfer shooter or once again the team will be limited.  I get it Leal and Galloway can shoot.   Demezi was a shooter out of high school and similarly ranked.  I'm not down on them and they will get a few minutes next year but they aren't surefire B1G starters as freshman.  

Idiot fans aside, and yes every program has them, does every arena have loud audible gasps every time a free throw is missed?  With adults yelling "COME ON" every time?  You would think that would subconsciously put increased pressure on our players.  I certainly don't think that fans can be blamed for program incompetence, but would anyone else consider Assembly Hall a difficult place to play for both away AND home players?  Especially a younger team who does not have the experience of winning under their belts?

31 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Not saying this is gospel, but here's a relatively reliable source that puts us at #18 since 1997: https://kenpom.com/programs.php

Edit: For those that want the summary, that puts us at 3.5-ish in the B10.  MSU is #6, OSU #11 and Wisconsin #16.  Maryland is #13, but half that time they were in the ACC, and that's what I'm accounting for the 0.5. 

That's fair and I trust kenpom's assessment because it sticks to the numbers.  I'll concede that.  It is hard to quantify inconsistency though and we've had more than our share of it. 

Wasn't sure where to put this. Kentucky and Michigan ink new deal for playing each other. 3 games. Sounds like 1 on campus for each and one neutral game in London. Oh John.....now you see why we don't believe a word you say.

Edit-Guess this was released Friday so maybe already been discussed.

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this. Kentucky and Michigan ink new deal for playing each other. 3 games. Sounds like 1 on campus for each and one neutral game in London. Oh John.....now you see why we don't believe a word you say.

So....Cal wants to recruit in England?

52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Aside from a game in England. Exact same offer Mr. Glass proposed at one time.  Let's face it.  Calipari wants nothing to do with IU.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

England was more for Michigan side. They wanted an international game because of their worldwide alumni.....or at least the press release suggested that.

I think Michigan thought it was London, Ontario....for their worldwide alumni.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Aside from a game in England. Exact same offer Mr. Glass proposed at one time.  Let's face it.  Calipari wants nothing to do with IU.

This isn't directed at you Mile just a general sentiment about the "kentucky doesn't want to play us refrain". I'm probably going to ruffle some feathers by saying this but we arent the program Michigan is right now (and weren't then either).  I can understand why Kentucky doesn't feel the need to play us right now.  Think about it, our program was propped up by the WatShot win (and the subsequent 1.5 years after).  As unforgettable as that was for IU fans, myself included as I remember it like it was yesterday, Kentucky plays Duke, MSU, UNC, etc on a regular basis in nonconference showcases on neutral courts.  They dont need us and I dont blame them.  If roles were reversed we'd feel the same way.  We have bigger issues to address than playing a home and home with Kentucky.  We need to win lots of basketball games and start earning our credibility back as a program. 

In a similar vein, I remember when the Crossroads Classic started.  A lot of IU fans were saying, "what's in it for us?"  No win situation to play Butler and ND every other year.  If we win - well we should because we are Indiana.  If we lose - jokes on us.  But honestly we are closer to those programs than we are to Kentucky right now. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Michigan's home game will probably somehow end up in Detroit. See: Baylor and Utah vs. UK. 

6 hours ago, madmax said:

Jordan Bohannon out for the year with hip surgery. Will be eligible for a grad transfer next year. No clue if he would try to leave Iowa City, but damn, would love to have a reverse Luke Recker situation. That dude can shoot. 

That's......crazy enough to work.

55 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Will Wade coached a stellar game at home against ETSU tonight, but hey...he sure knows how to make a strong-@ss offer...

Also, it's early, but Kensucky looking like dog puke against Utah.

Kentucky struggling down 14 with 15 minutes left.  Brooks with 2p 1r.

Archived