Notre Dame Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I edited your post. Calling anybody names will be ya banned. So I cleaned it up for ya.

And yes, I was being snarky. Your follow up post about his form is fair.

But to say he is not a shooter and everybody who thinks he is (which would include the coach), is always gonna make people a bit snarky in their response.

Some players have been great shooters with less than ideal form. Hos track record says he can shoot, and his current coach sees it daily. That simply carries more weight.

unless, like i said, miller is trying to boost his confidence. he absolutely should. and as i said, i usually did the same. time will tell who is right and who is wrong

8 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I edited your post. Calling anybody names will be ya banned. So I cleaned it up for ya.

And yes, I was being snarky. Your follow up post about his form is fair.

But to say he is not a shooter and everybody who thinks he is (which would include the coach), is always gonna make people a bit snarky in their response.

Some players have been great shooters with less than ideal form. Hos track record says he can shoot, and his current coach sees it daily. That simply carries more weight.

there is more than one way to insult someone than to call "names" as you put it. what you said, in my opinion, is far more insulting than saying smarta$$ (i have noticed changing the dollar signs to "s" makes it ok), which was factual. saying that as a coach, i have no idea what i'm talking about, is worse. like calling it snarky makes it ok. in fact, i have several times been called worse on here and no such editing or admonition took place. also, i have never seen a place where the mods like to instigate so much animosity. i'm not sure the moderators know what the word means. 

7 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Personally I do not see that.  There is not one way to shoot, all shooting coaches will say that.  I know we look for rotation and if the ball is on line.  We TWEAK form based on if the ball is to the right, left, always long, short or what type of rotation. I think DA is going to be a scorer and he can shoot the ball.  Game like situation is more mental than anything.  

As a coach, you can have your philosophy and won't argue with that because its your program.  However, it is not one size fits all.  And, athletes are the same.  

we will see eventually. for now, i have been vindicated in my opinion. i will say that i know an uncomfortable shooter when i see one

6 hours ago, Shooter said:

Do you watch college basketball? Have you seriously never seen a kid shoot well in high school, struggle initially in college, then find his level as the game slows down for him?

I don't know for sure if Damezi will get better but to write him off as a shooter after less than 1.5 seasons of spot minutes and DNPs is crazy.

no, i never watch college basketball. are you the real shooter?

15 minutes ago, coachv said:

there is more than one way to insult someone than to call "names" as you put it. what you said, in my opinion, is far more insulting than saying smarta$$ (i have noticed changing the dollar signs to "s" makes it ok), which was factual. saying that as a coach, i have no idea what i'm talking about, is worse. like calling it snarky makes it ok. in fact, i have several times been called worse on here and no such editing or admonition took place. also, i have never seen a place where the mods like to instigate so much animosity. i'm not sure the moderators know what the word means. 

Not going back and forth. We have rules. Abide by them. I tried to handle.it nicely.

You do not like lhow we moderate, there are plenty of other sites you can go to.

You post here, you follow the rules. You do not make them. 

I am.asking.you to let this go.

43 minutes ago, coachv said:

That's big talk from someone that doesn't know how to capitalize letters. 

5 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am not sure about the others who aren't really happy with where we are but for me, here is what I think/feel.

I feel like we struggled against to many of the easy early games.

I feel like we are not a better team than last year.

I feel like we have played terrible but somehow have gutted out wins against decent teams.

I feel like losing to Wisconsin is a precursor to a below average season in the B1G

And my biggest thing is that I am waiting for the long losing streak to start.  Much like last year

I just can't seem to get myself to watch this team and like them.  I like several peices of this team but overall I just don't like this them.  I don't have faith in our coach or administration to bring us another title regardless of how much time we give them.

It makes me pessimistic and makes it hard to see the upside when watching them play.  All I really is their flaws and lack of [insert what here].  All this might make me a bad fan in the eyes of guys like IUScott but I just can't find it on myself anymore to overlook all the bad and cheer the good.

So I apologise for any future posts that might/will have a negative tone.

You are not alone & I fear this take will be the majority of this great Nations opinions but I ask one simple request!  That is to let this season play out before we all abandon ship & get our axes out.  Yes, we play ugly & most of the time look like we have no game plan but this yr just seems different than past.  This team is still figuring out their identity and CAM still hasn’t dialed in a consistent rotation.  Let’s not let a 1 ugly road loss lead to a witch hunt of a fanbase.  After watching many top tier teams struggle so far just maybe this ugly IU team isn’t so bad after all??  

1 hour ago, coachv said:

we will see eventually. for now, i have been vindicated in my opinion. i will say that i know an uncomfortable shooter when i see one

As a shooter myself all I can say is Demezi still is not confident in his shot which is the secret ingredient.  You can tell he still is hesitant and must gain that let it rip mentality that it takes for great shooters.  Kind of like a golf swing or bowling release, if you don’t have confidence it’s ugly but once you do there is great results!  I believe Damezi is like most, and that is low confidence in himself until being the older kid on the block.  Kid is gonna be special come upperclassmen.

10 hours ago, coachv said:

what damezi was known for in high school has little relevance to his tenure at iu. he is not a shooter. people need to realize that

Coach, I’m with you on Demezi doesn’t look the part of a real shooter but I think he has the potential and just needs to adapt his shot at this level.  Eye test says he’s the second best option behind Devonte and once he gains Devonte’s confidence it could mean all the difference.  As a shooter myself, I agree his form doesn’t pass as a shooter just yet but confidence has a long way of making any form a good one!  Agree?

8 hours ago, Shooter said:

Do you watch college basketball? Have you seriously never seen a kid shoot well in high school, struggle initially in college, then find his level as the game slows down for him?

I don't know for sure if Damezi will get better but to write him off as a shooter after less than 1.5 seasons of spot minutes and DNPs is crazy.

Great analysis Shooter!  HS defenders vs B10 defenders is an entirely different level and as a shooter can really frustrate you.  We all witnessed this on the playground, it’s so much easier to shoot an open look shot vs a hand in your face.  In D1, you have zero separation which means you must pull the trigger off the bounce pass or dribble, dribble release to create your own shot but it all comes down to confidence.  Your correct, once this D1 level game slows down for him, he will find his stroke!

11 hours ago, coachv said:

what damezi was known for in high school has little relevance to his tenure at iu. he is not a shooter. people need to realize that

Curious, do you personally call Franklin a shooter?  I mean 16% for the yr, eye test says he’s broke and couldn’t hit water if he fell out a boat but somehow someway was our most important player going 4-5 from deep?  What made him have such success that day?  I will tell you, he had such confidence that day you could just see by his release it was going in.  First time all yr I saw great form from him & hope it is consistent.  Damezi imo is a better shooter than Franklin and just needs to find his comfort zone so to speak.  He needs 100 bounce passes a day while shooting in rhythm & releasing his shot as he catches the pass.   

17 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe with "Archie's guys" we have the upper class leadership and consistency to NOT give away 17 point leads to middle of the pack Power 5 teams.

I hope Armaan's performance helps the upper classmen see that they need to not only step up their game, but their leadership as well. 

And I'd take a consistent 15 point per Devonte over 30 one game and 5 the next any day...

Amen, but do you realize what it takes to avg 15 pts per game?  I mean we’re talking All Big Ten or an All American type of player.  AF ceiling is 15 pts vs DG’s 30 but I’m with you I’d rather see consistency!  

Good thoughts on the game likely needing to slow down for DA more..

Anderson almost reminds me of C Wat pre-Junior year or even Hartman early on from a confidence standpoint. Similar non overwhelming athletes with defensive question marks likely playing a part/ affecting confidence on the other end at similar stages too,   perhaps? My guess/observation anyway, as of now.

C Wat was once being called "cookies." Folks were eating those cookies by the time he was done at IU.Took time.

Hartman was all but written off , especially by the time he suffered his first season ending injury at IU.

CH didn't have the same fortune with health as Watford enjoyed -which I feel never recovering from the last one muted his Senior season considerably-  but I never doubted either of them being able to pull it together and win a lot of folks over prior to that for a lot of the same reasons I feel with Damezi's chances of eventually thriving at IU.Defending at the D1 level can be part of the equation and just acknowledging that as well..

Not writing Anderson off either despite having saw a few comments on various boards where I get the feeling it is being implied(and even a couple specifically stating)  that he won't improve dramatically if he has not already by now.

In a system where I think he is set up better(than the former two players were playing in) to do so on defense, no reason to conclude it won't eventually benefit the offensive end-  as of now while he is still relatively inexperienced and still devoping..

Too many fans expect polaroid pictures these days IMO..Lol 

Great post 13.  Nobody really knows how DA career will play out & it’s up to him to make the adjustments.  It’s not fair for others to say he won’t just like it’s not fair for me to say their wrong.  Time will tell but an educated guess says he will thrive as an upperclassman as he gains confidence.  It was well known he was a 4 yr player from the start so why are fans writing him off after 1.5 yrs?  I will put my 44 yrs of life experience to the test & say HN will love DA during his Jr/Sr yr at BTOWN!  Kid will be a star once he realizes he belongs

12 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am not sure about the others who aren't really happy with where we are but for me, here is what I think/feel.

I feel like we have played terrible but somehow have gutted out wins against decent teams.

I feel like losing to Wisconsin is a precursor to a below average season in the B1G

And my biggest thing is that I am waiting for the long losing streak to start.  Much like last year

I just can't seem to get myself to watch this team and like them.  I like several peices of this team but overall I just don't like this them.  I don't have faith in our coach or administration to bring us another title regardless of how much time we give them.

It makes me pessimistic and makes it hard to see the upside when watching them play.  All I really is their flaws and lack of [insert what here].  All this might make me a bad fan in the eyes of guys like IUScott but I just can't find it on myself anymore to overlook all the bad and cheer the good.

You can feelhow ever you would like but to me that must be a miserable way to go through life at looking at all the negative and never seeing the positive.  also if this team makes you so miserable and you dislike this team so much why do you keep watching them.  Sports are for entertainment and if you are not being entertained then I would find something else to do.

16 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Here is a solution. Don't watch them. I don't know how many years I've passed on watching the Pacers or Colts when I know that it is just going to give me indigestion. First couple years of the Crean regime same thing. Great thing about that is then the rest of us don't have to hear someone be negative day after day even when we are winning. I'm a member on the Colts forum and most years I post more than I do here. However this year when Luck retired I knew this team was going to be average. Have more downs than ups. Sure I watch a game here and there when it's on where I am (I didn't buy Sunday Ticket) but I don't post or even go on there because it's just going to be negative. Why bother to get that worked up over it? I don't know what your expectations are...I get the feeling you are waiting on the second coming of the 76 Hoosier team. If that is the case you can probably just write off college basketball altogether. I mean if you are going to judge the whole season on the month of December in college basketball then I can tell you right now....NOBODY would be happy with where their team is. I just think maybe have some patience....give the kids a break and let them grow up. Let them make some dumb mistakes, let them lose some games...but in the end it's the journey that is the special part...because only 4 teams make it to the destination and only 1 gets to hang a banner each year. I am excited about the journey I think this team is undertaking. It's going to have a lot of pot holes in it but in the end I think we are going to have some pretty special memories along the way....ala the game winner by Franklin the other day.

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Here is a solution. Don't watch them. I don't know how many years I've passed on watching the Pacers or Colts when I know that it is just going to give me indigestion. First couple years of the Crean regime same thing. Great thing about that is then the rest of us don't have to hear someone be negative day after day even when we are winning. I'm a member on the Colts forum and most years I post more than I do here. However this year when Luck retired I knew this team was going to be average. Have more downs than ups. Sure I watch a game here and there when it's on where I am (I didn't buy Sunday Ticket) but I don't post or even go on there because it's just going to be negative. Why bother to get that worked up over it? I don't know what your expectations are...I get the feeling you are waiting on the second coming of the 76 Hoosier team. If that is the case you can probably just write off college basketball altogether. I mean if you are going to judge the whole season on the month of December in college basketball then I can tell you right now....NOBODY would be happy with where their team is. I just think maybe have some patience....give the kids a break and let them grow up. Let them make some dumb mistakes, let them lose some games...but in the end it's the journey that is the special part...because only 4 teams make it to the destination and only 1 gets to hang a banner each year. I am excited about the journey I think this team is undertaking. It's going to have a lot of pot holes in it but in the end I think we are going to have some pretty special memories along the way....ala the game winner by Franklin the other day.

I for one am eagerly awaiting the 2nd coming of the '76 team!  :D Damn the whole  "I missed it by two years"- thing too!!! 

Still watching this team with a ways to go to get anything near that level though .I enjoy the journey as much if not more than the destination .Highly flawed team or not.

I have to say I prefer posters going primarily negative to keep venting it / calling it how they see it or whatever it is referred to as -in posts for one reason.:

They vent on the team I vent on the crowd doing it .

Everyone feels better and keeps participating Lol .Huge fan of mutualism symbiosis in nature by the way.

10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Curious, do you personally call Franklin a shooter?  I mean 16% for the yr, eye test says he’s broke and couldn’t hit water if he fell out a boat but somehow someway was our most important player going 4-5 from deep?  What made him have such success that day?  I will tell you, he had such confidence that day you could just see by his release it was going in.  First time all yr I saw great form from him & hope it is consistent.  Damezi imo is a better shooter than Franklin and just needs to find his comfort zone so to speak.  He needs 100 bounce passes a day while shooting in rhythm & releasing his shot as he catches the pass.   

i have hope for franklin. as you said, mechanically, everything looks solid. damezi need to raise his release, among other things

10 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Good thoughts on the game likely needing to slow down for DA more..

Anderson almost reminds me of C Wat pre-Junior year or even Hartman early on from a confidence standpoint. Similar non overwhelming athletes with defensive question marks likely playing a part/ affecting confidence on the other end at similar stages too,   perhaps? My guess/observation anyway, as of now.

C Wat was once being called "cookies." Folks were eating those cookies by the time he was done at IU.Took time.

Hartman was all but written off , especially by the time he suffered his first season ending injury at IU.

CH didn't have the same fortune with health as Watford enjoyed -which I feel never recovering from the last one muted his Senior season considerably-  but I never doubted either of them being able to pull it together and win a lot of folks over prior to that for a lot of the same reasons I feel with Damezi's chances of eventually thriving at IU.Defending at the D1 level can be part of the equation and just acknowledging that as well..

Not writing Anderson off either despite having saw a few comments on various boards where I get the feeling it is being implied(and even a couple specifically stating)  that he won't improve dramatically if he has not already by now.

In a system where I think he is set up better(than the former two players were playing in) to do so on defense, no reason to conclude it won't eventually benefit the offensive end-  as of now while he is still relatively inexperienced and still devoping..

Too many fans expect polaroid pictures these days IMO..Lol 

i'm not writing anderson off as a player. he has the size and strength to be a ferocious defender and rebounder. i think he may be a nice piece in the long run

21 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Don't think I've ever seen someone have more than half the posts on a single page before! Well played coachv!

that's because of the weird set up here, of course. start on page one of a long thread and all your responses get lumped together on the last page

21 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

decades of disappointment will do that to a guy. no need to apologize. 

34 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

I for one am eagerly awaiting the 2nd coming of the '76 team!  :D Damn the whole  "I missed it by two years"- thing too!!! 

Still watching this team with a ways to go to get anything near that level though .I enjoy the journey as much if not more than the destination .Highly flawed team or not.

I have to say I prefer posters going primarily negative to keep venting it / calling it how they see it or whatever it is referred to as -in posts for one reason.:

They vent on the team I vent on the crowd doing it .

Everyone feels better and keeps participating Lol .Huge fan of mutualism symbiosis in nature by the way.

i missed it by two years also

Archived