Notre Dame Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Almost every shot he takes is bad. Smith has no shot and he has bad hands. His plus/minus yesterday had to be awful and it doesn't take into account the times he was not hustling. 

You would think either he or the coaching staff would of worked on his shot during the off season. If he couldn't dunk he would have zero offensive skills.

Every outside shot he takes is bad, I thoroughly agree. But, I don't think he took any of those yesterday. Even with yesterday's performance, he is shooting 57% on 2 point FGs - I'll take it.

Do you honestly think he didn't shoot over the off-season? Hopefully they just reached the conclusion that he still isn't great at it, so he should stick to other things.

22 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

I disagree, this team does several things better than last year's team...We had a bad ten minute stretch because we were poor around the rim. They were executing offense and not finishing what they produced...we are better moving without the ball, moving the ball, and receiving the coaching being given...

all this with a team that is actually quite young...Two freshmen playing a ton of minutes (a third who is a redshirt freshman) Three sophomores playing minutes...one senior, two juniors, and one transfer playing minutes....

we were much better defensively in the half court and got burned in transition for about ten minutes

If they finish half of the good looks around the rim the lead never disappears...

EDIT: I will say that we were stagnant for about four possessions in a row right with ND took the lead, but before that it was just missing shots 

in consideration of the multitude of missed shots inside five feet, do the kids think you are a nerd for using the backboard? i always encouraged my players to use it. of course, i also was an advocate of the 7-8 foot pull-up, banked if shooting from anywhere other than straight on. that shot lives only in my imagination now

5 minutes ago, coachv said:

in consideration of the multitude of missed shots inside five feet, do the kids think you are a nerd for using the backboard? i always encouraged my players to use it. of course, i also was an advocate of the 7-8 foot pull-up, banked if shooting from anywhere other than straight on. that shot lives only in my imagination now

The art of any mid range game has died.  D-wade was probably the last basketball player to bank a shot in.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The art of any mid range game has died.  D-wade was probably the last basketball player to bank a shot in.  

I agree to a point but there are still players out there with a consistent mid range. Idk if they use it as their staple but they can go to it consistently. I’m a Bucks fan so I speak to a player that I watch a lot and Middleton often uses a shot fake for a three to then dribble in and take mid range jumpers fairly consistently and he also has a go to fade away mid range game that is solid for a player of his level.

22 hours ago, HoagieRoll said:

Hate to agree with dbm but I’m not seeing much difference between this 11-1 start and the 12-2 start last year. We continue to squeak out wins over inferior opponents and overall it doesn’t bode well for conference season. I think there’s a higher chance we finish with 18 wins than 22, but we’ll see 😕

we have actually dominated inferior opponents. not ready to call notre dame and uconn inferior at this point

19 hours ago, Reacher said:

The first one looked like perfect D. I didn't see any contact. Didn't see the second as well. Think he may have touched the guy, rather than fouled him.

Regardless, I think he might lead the country in fouls per minute.

I went back and re-watched several times. 

On the first one, I'm not sure that he actually made physical contact, but he did bring his arms down - that gets whistled all the time.

The second one was the lightest of touches, but it was just stupid. He was hedging against a screen and kept his arm out against his man. He gained nothing from it, so why do it?

Tough calls, but unwise plays. 

23 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I mean you just said it. " if we hit our bunnies,  we win by 14"  Yet, its Archies fault.  

You obviously understand what the downfall of this or any team is, and thats guard play.

Archie definitely needs to secure some shooters, which he hasnt been able to do yet. Thats on him, but not for lack of trying

galloway and leal?

23 hours ago, HoagieRoll said:

Never said we played bad defense, I just think it’s unfair to credit our defense with their overall 3 point numbers today. At least to me, watching live, they missed more than a handful of open threes that first half. It’s also irrational to intimate that in the second half they made some “lucky threes”. I think we were luckier with their first half misses than they were with their second half makes. 

overall the talent gap shouldnt result in this close of games vs UConn and ND and to me this feels a ton like last year. But I’d be happy just getting into the tourney so every win counts! That said, there’s a reason even at 11-1 we likely won’t be ranked 

while i agree with you about nd missing a bunch of open threes, i am trying to figure out where this talent gap is. outside of trayce, who is still a spring chicken, who specifically do you think on our roster is heads and shoulders better?

23 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I didn't see too many, if any, uncontested 3s. Saw a bunch that were contested or pushed beyond their comfort zone 3s...and I saw them make a few with a hand in their faces as well...

once the shooter is near release, a late hand in the face is little detriment 

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

You are on quite a Justin rampage lately.  Haha

I get the frustration. But Justin did not take more than one bad/forced shot yesterday. He did miss several easy ones. I typically dont hammer a player who misses good shots. I get more upset with bad shots, and he really has not taken many bad shots this season.

With that said, he had a huge block when he hustled the floor and stuffed Mooney at the rim, on a break.

He does a lot for this team imo. So I do not love 2 for 10. But I do not think Justin played a bad game. He contributed  imo.

Quilty. I will try and watch my tone towards him. 

23 hours ago, BEKA said:

Watching the Butler/PU game. I really wish we could land a pure shooter like Sean McDermott. Would totally change the complexion of this team. Hoping that someone like Leal can fill that need sooner rather than later. Also, I've been high on Armaan since he popped for us last year. There's something about this kid that tells me he's going to be a special player by the end of his IU career. A freshman hitting that shot. Ice. Cold. And it's got to be a great confidence builder. 

11-1. I can't believe some folks can't just enjoy nice things when we actually have them. 

that's exactly what i tell my wife when she complains about driving her 24 year old lexus

23 hours ago, Reacher said:

My biggest gripe from the game was even though ND was probably told to play off Justin so he could receive the in bounds and then foul him, why did we not get the ball to a better free throw shooter and try to run of an extra second or two?

justin should have immediately chucked the ball toward the roof and the team should have casually walked off the floor

Just now, coachv said:

justin should have immediately chucked the ball toward the roof and the team should have casually walked off the floor

The play probably had different read and reactions.  Justin being one of the quicker taller and kid with the best jumping ability - he probably had a route to the middle or down the floor as an outlet on centerfield.  At that point, you want to first and foremost get the ball in and not stolen.  You can't put 4-5 guards in who might not break free.  

I get the strategy, and honestly it worked.  If Justin missed the free throw it is a half court chance.

Maybe I would of spread the floor a little more to not pinch the corners and middle.  However, this is a physical wrestling match with 3 seconds left and they wanted to get the ball in and to strength to hold on.  

22 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Funny point as I was yelling, slamming and cursing once ND took the lead that eve the dogs decided to leave the room. I was cursing Archie’s 11 man rotation as I think the Offense would be in better rhythm with a 7-8 man rotation.  I still believe that to be true but at the end of the day a victory gives CAM a pass from what could’ve been a complete MELTDOWN from HN!  I think CAM has a system in place to be very successful, RMK successful but I pray that HN including myself has the patience to let it all play out!   

archie did play an 8 man rotation

22 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

Notre Dame did an outstanding job of contesting shots in the paint without getting whistled. Really took away a lot of the easy points we usually get and need. 

If Franklin is a shooter, we are a whole new team. I'm impressed that he had the confidence to shoot those given his results prior. 

I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the 2 calls against Davis - I didn't see either of them as fouls.

If phinisee learns to hit a mid range jumper, he is going to be deadly. 

the first on davis was. for some reason he stupidly continued to walk into the shooter on his fade away

20 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Oh I’m with you believe that but DG is the only player on this roster that can call themselves a “shooter” and that I feel confident even taking a “jump” shot!  I cringe when any other player shoots the ball and usually ends in a 🧱!  TODAY, a Frosh shooting 16% from deep defied the ODDS by hitting 4-5 from deep and thank GOD but prior was 16%!  Demezi, known for being a marksman = not so much today.  Haven’t we learned to accept bad DG because we all know that a good DG is a must to have?  Today, his critical jump shots were key to this victory.

what damezi was known for in high school has little relevance to his tenure at iu. he is not a shooter. people need to realize that

Archived