Notre Dame Postgame Thread

KDB

A win is a win. I can't imagine how some of you would be acting if we lost. If this was an NCAA tournament game we'd be moving on to the next round. 

Kenpom's luck rating could also be called clutch, grittiness, etc. Winning more games than you should by the numbers is a positive to me. Basketball is a game of runs so losing a lead isn't abnormal. Pulling out the win after blowing a lead is impressive character building stuff. 

B1G is tough top to bottom so it's going to get mighty ugly around here once we start losing games.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IU878176 said:

I agree. The improvement from as recently as last year has been good to see. Always room to improve but much less “weave from 25 feet out” and standing around.  Ball movement is also much better except when it sometimes gets “stuck” with Green.

PS...In regards to Roberts. I was at the FSU game and thought he was going to have an aneurism in the first half. He is very engaged.

I don’t know if this is true or not but I wouldn’t be shocked if Roberts has helped with the offense, especially the ball movement.   I know a lot of people think the modern game is more geared to dribble drive, but I’m decidedly not in that camp. I think having the ball move with the pass and not the dribble more resembles good basketball. It’s much harder on the D in my mind.  

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Yep, a win is a win...

As far as the "Crean guys" argument goes, I think the point is Archie wouldn't have recruited guys like Devonte and Justin...or Troy Williams for that matter. Crean didn't mind recruiting high risk flashy kids. Archie tends to lean more toward solid basketball skills and basketball IQ.

Not to say Justin or Devonte are bad kids or basketball players. But they're wildly inconsistent and try to make the spectacular play when the proper basketball play would do.

As far as Al goes, I said before the season started that if he's a starter for us, we're no better than middle-of-the-pack B10 material...

And I stand by that...

IU doesn’t win this game w/o those clutch pull up jumpers late from DG you know!  IU loses w/o those crucial 30 pts from DG gainst FSU you know!  I’m scared that once CAM gets “his” guys, we don’t have these clutch shots that help win games.  Time will tell but Crean knows which players that can put the ball thru the hoop.  Imagine THIS TEAM TODAY w/o Devante Green??

For those who only want a seven (7?!) or eight man rotation, you lose today.  Not only are you ignoring the impact depth can have on out conditioning the opponent—and we’ve seen that in other games where we are just fresher late in the game—but Franklin wouldn’t have played today.  He was struggling in recent games and wouldn’t make your top eight, let alone seven.  

This team has some nice parts but we don’t have a superstar type of transcending talent who just takes over like a Cheaney.  We can win, though, by wearing out the opponent and if we get a couple of guys who get hot or otherwise play above their norms.  Today, Franklin and Brunk were lights out.  Anderson was excellent late in the last game.  Hopefully, we will continue to have different guys emerge game in-game out.  

6 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

IU doesn’t win this game w/o those clutch pull up jumpers late from DG you know!  IU loses w/o those crucial 30 pts from DG gainst FSU you know!  I’m scared that once CAM gets “his” guys, we don’t have these clutch shots that help win games.  Time will tell but Crean knows which players that can put the ball thru the hoop.  Imagine THIS TEAM TODAY w/o Devante Green??

giphy-downsized-large.gif

11 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Hi Joni. Do you like Athens?

20 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

You do realize that none of DGs “clutch” shots would’ve mattered without the most clutch shot of the night that was hit by a freshman, one of CAMs guys. Don’t get me wrong, I love DG, but man he makes a lot of dumb passes and takes quite a few questionable shots.

19 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Agree to a point but you’re looking at it in a vacuum. If he wasn’t there others would do things they’re not doing now. Anyone can admit that a lot of shots he takes, even the ones that go in, are BAD decisions.

I’m thankful we have him but won’t lose sleep when he’s gone. He’s not a sound player.

23 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

For those who only want a seven (7?!) or eight man rotation, you lose today.  Not only are you ignoring the impact depth can have on out conditioning the opponent—and we’ve seen that in other games where we are just fresher late in the game—but Franklin wouldn’t have played today.  He was struggling in recent games and wouldn’t make your top eight, let alone seven.  

This team has some nice parts but we don’t have a superstar type of transcending talent who just takes over like a Cheaney.  We can win, though, by wearing out the opponent and if we get a couple of guys who get hot or otherwise play above their norms.  Today, Franklin and Brunk were lights out.  Anderson was excellent late in the last game.  Hopefully, we will continue to have different guys emerge game in-game out.  

Never understood that either. Having 11 guys that may contribute on a given night isn't a bad thing.

1 minute ago, Hoosrnight said:

You do realize that none of DGs “clutch” shots would’ve mattered had the most clutch shot of the night was hit by a freshman, one of CAMs guys. Don’t get me wrong, I love DG, but man he makes a lot of dumb passes and takes quite a few questionable shots.

Oh I’m with you believe that but DG is the only player on this roster that can call themselves a “shooter” and that I feel confident even taking a “jump” shot!  I cringe when any other player shoots the ball and usually ends in a 🧱!  TODAY, a Frosh shooting 16% from deep defied the ODDS by hitting 4-5 from deep and thank GOD but prior was 16%!  Demezi, known for being a marksman = not so much today.  Haven’t we learned to accept bad DG because we all know that a good DG is a must to have?  Today, his critical jump shots were key to this victory.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

I have fleeting thoughts sorry...

when we lost that lead and went down 4 I really questioned whether we had what it took to fight back. They shouldn’t have let it get to that but once they did they responded REALLY well. Their body language and unity looked GREAT.

And given that we're a relatively young team, that's a very positive sign.

That's actually one thing I love about this team so far. They seem to keep both positive and negative emotion in check. Nobody gets too excited for too long (well....Roberts being the exception...but hummingbirds on crack don't have that level of energy), nobody gets down for too long. Cool and steady.

2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

I have fleeting thoughts sorry...

when we lost that lead and went down 4 I really questioned whether we had what it took to fight back. They shouldn’t have let it get to that but once they did they responded REALLY well. Their body language and unity looked GREAT.

I agree, last year we probably lose this game by 10 once we lost the lead. I loved seeing us get it back together the last 3 min. It shouldn’t have been that close, but we found a way to win!

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Never understood that either. Having 11 guys that may contribute on a given night isn't a bad thing.

I agree but only concern is the players on the court really don’t get a chance to flow together due to all the substitutions.  Some rotations play great together & some not so much as we seen today and it’s critical that CAM takes note of this as you can’t have 4 straight stops in critical moments.  That period was how ND got back in this game, no flow from the rotation and everyone could see it from their couch.  It’s time to tighten it up a bit IMO.

22 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Agree to a point but you’re looking at it in a vacuum. If he wasn’t there others would do things they’re not doing now. Anyone can admit that a lot of shots he takes, even the ones that go in, are BAD decisions.

I’m thankful we have him but won’t lose sleep when he’s gone. He’s not a sound player.

Maybe it’s just me BadVol but right now DG is the only player i feel comfortable shooting the ball?  Yes, the Magic Johnson pass TO’s bring me off my seat but those step back jumpers in CRITICAL moments quickly remind me its nice to have such clutch shot on our roster!  Please tell me who else on this roster you’d rather shoot the ball as we are DISMALL in that category?  Rob was 0-6 today and Franklin was 16% before today so I’m curious??  Still waiting

2 hours ago, zerawkid said:

Not yet, we don’t. We have to consider we might well be beating teams because we have rested guys deep into games. While we’re winning and still trending towards a tourney berth, there’s no real sensible reason to drastically limit meaningful minutes that are informing legitimate depth on this team. 

i was being a little overly dramatic, as i realize no one goes strictly with a 7 man rotation, but i don't like seeing anyone other than those 7 on the floor.  i truly would like to see those 7 play a ton of minutes and maybe 2 or 3 others play very limited minutes.  very limited.  

3 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

I disagree.  This team can beat anybody, lose to anybody and most games will come down to a one possession game, unfortunately for our health.  This is what you get focusing so much of your energy on D, a sometimes poor ball movement on O.  Pick your poison so to speak but these kids know minutes is determined on D and their O game is suffering, mainly shooting from prob fatigue.  Time will tell if this style holds up in conf play but your comment about this team is no better is not true.

This team can be really good when Al Durham is not on the floor.  He is killing this team on both ends yet plays heavy minutes.  This contradicts your thought that defense earns minutes.  Al is constantly out of position which causes everyone else to have to scramble.  On offense, he thwarts ball movement by dribbling too much,  takes bad shots/makes dumb passes and stands around when he doesn’t have the ball.  I still haven’t figured out why Archie continues to play him as much as he does 

2 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

This team can be really good when Al Durham is not on the floor.  He is killing this team on both ends yet plays heavy minutes.  This contradicts your thought that defense earns minutes.  Al is constantly out of position which causes everyone else to have to scramble.  On offense, he thwarts ball movement by dribbling too much,  takes bad shots/makes dumb passes and stands around when he doesn’t have the ball.  I still haven’t figured out why Archie continues to play him as much as he does 

Totally agree 100%!!! I screamed at the tv why he was on the court and I truly believe was responsible for ND’s run at the 5 min mark.  Prob is he’s just like other players on this team not named TJD, streaky!  He can actually help win you games at the same time fool you in believing he deserves min’s and actually almost lose you games like today!  When he’s not making shots, CAM needs to realize that & bench him for other options but easier said than done.  I.E., Armaan Franklin!  I mean 16%, how did CAM have confidence in the young Frosh?  1-1, 2-2, foul w/ 3 made ft’s, ending up 4-5?  Same could go for AD, brick, brick, TO, foul, foul, etc...  CAM needs to learn whose contributing and whose not per game I guess.

Archived