Notre Dame Postgame Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, HoagieRoll said:

Hate to agree with dbm but I’m not seeing much difference between this 11-1 start and the 12-2 start last year. We continue to squeak out wins over inferior opponents and overall it doesn’t bode well for conference season. I think there’s a higher chance we finish with 18 wins than 22, but we’ll see 😕

So, you're saying 30-1 going into the BTT is off the table?  :coffee:

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DWB said:

And not just Crean. Brey stayed with that 2-3 zone WAY too long. I would have gone to man, or a different zone after the first 10 minutes. At least Archie tried a bunch of stuff and stuck with things that worked against that zone.

We didn't do that great a job against the man-to-man, mainly because we quit moving 5 guys, screening, and making hard cuts. But they did grit it out.

Merry Christmas everybody!

We had 17 points with 6:30 left in the half

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

This is the third year Archie has coached these guys. The “Crean guys” whining is getting old. Is Crean secretly still coaching his guys? Is a highly paid D1 coach unable to impact a players behavior after three years?  Why did Archie keep Al in for so long? We need a shooter and another PG. Is it also Creans  fault that we still don’t have them? 

Nice games by Brunk and Franklin. Could launch both of them for the rest of the year.

If we hit our bunnies we win by 14.

Our scoring drought roughly coincided with ND packing their defense well inside the three. We are going to see a lot of that going forward. 

Was nice to see how we handled their zone in the first half.

I mean you just said it. " if we hit our bunnies,  we win by 14"  Yet, its Archies fault.  

You obviously understand what the downfall of this or any team is, and thats guard play.

Archie definitely needs to secure some shooters, which he hasnt been able to do yet. Thats on him, but not for lack of trying

1 minute ago, JugRox said:

So...they had wide open looks and missed because they are 140th in 3pt% or because of IU’s “bad” defense”?

They’re not a great shooting team but still shot significantly below their average—many of them relatively open shots. Us missing open 3s is nothing new. Again, we’ve been extremely lucky this year and Kenpom will reflect that. Feels A LOT like last season, things will even out and I see us sub .500 in conference with minimal road wins. 

So let me understand.  IU is only good if they win by double digits.  No D1 coach has ever given up large leads and lost a game. This years team is no better than last year.  

Absolutely absurd!

Never forget, the season is a marathon not a sprint.

Our freshmen are contributing and gaining valuable experience.

I have to believe, even if unstated, that RP and DG are not 100%.

We are learning what it takes to win consistently.  That we need to play hard the entire 40min.

The lapse in defense cost us a comfortable winning margin.  

Nothing happened today that cannot be corrected

We got the W.  What the H@&& else could you want?

3 minutes ago, HoagieRoll said:

They’re not a great shooting team but still shot significantly below their average—many of them relatively open shots. Us missing open 3s is nothing new. Again, we’ve been extremely lucky this year and Kenpom will reflect that. Feels A LOT like last season, things will even out and I see us sub .500 in conference with minimal road wins. 

ND had hit 35 3's in their last 2 games and we held them to 6-27 which is 22% yet we played bad defense LOL!

11 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I actually think that one of his strengths as a coach is finding the right guys down the stretch...I think that we had a couple guys who didn't play up to their abilities around the rim, and I wish that Armaan had played 3-4 more minutes than he did...but I think that the last two games can pay positive dividends if the coaching staff starts to believe in three guard lineups a bit more and a couple of guys get their confidence back (Phinisee was not even looking at the rim, Durham had a tough game, Smith was unsure in the lane today)

True, for today.  Armann is going to be special.  Rob is your guy and he looked like he had dead legs today - however, you need him to be confident moving forward.  Al, is struggling and his minutes should go to Armann.  

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I feel sorry for some of you who only looks at things in a negative way and can' see or post anything positive.  I really hope you don't live your lives this way because if you do you must be a joy to be around.

Lol don’t feel sorry for me friend. Having a realistic view of this team and seeing our last 5 years of play allows me to easily remove myself from taking this seriously while still appreciating close wins...but keeping my overall expectations somewhat low given the product I’ve seen on the court. It’s all good over here!

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

ND had hit 35 3's in their last 2 games and we held them to 6-27 which is 22% yet we played bad defense LOL!

Never said we played bad defense, I just think it’s unfair to credit our defense with their overall 3 point numbers today. At least to me, watching live, they missed more than a handful of open threes that first half. It’s also irrational to intimate that in the second half they made some “lucky threes”. I think we were luckier with their first half misses than they were with their second half makes. 

overall the talent gap shouldnt result in this close of games vs UConn and ND and to me this feels a ton like last year. But I’d be happy just getting into the tourney so every win counts! That said, there’s a reason even at 11-1 we likely won’t be ranked 

2 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

With your posts I wouldn’t take much of anything in a negative context as being sarcastic or that would be most of your posts.

You mean when I said we played well against the zone in the first half, that Franklin and Brunk had games that could launch the rest of the season, we would have won by 14 if we hit our bunnies (which infers we had a lot of good opportunities).

Our half court offense has been better than we’ve seen in probably a dozen years, against the man to man and zone.  The ball movement and passing has improved exponentially.  I give Archie credit for tweaking the offensive approach, which I’m sure he spent a lot of time on in the offseason.

Mike Roberts looks like he’s an upgrade to the staff.  He’s so engaged with the game as compared with his predecessor who was so disconnected, he’d have his hands in his pockets practically whistling.  

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Our half court offense has been better than we’ve seen in probably a dozen years, against the man to man and zone.  The ball movement and passing has improved exponentially.  I give Archie credit for tweaking the offensive approach, which I’m sure he spent a lot of time on in the offseason.

Mike Roberts looks like he’s an upgrade to the staff.  He’s so engaged with the game as compared with his predecessor who was so disconnected, he’d have his hands in his pockets practically whistling.  

I agree. The improvement from as recently as last year has been good to see. Always room to improve but much less “weave from 25 feet out” and standing around.  Ball movement is also much better except when it sometimes gets “stuck” with Green.

PS...In regards to Roberts. I was at the FSU game and thought he was going to have an aneurism in the first half. He is very engaged.

Archived