Notre Dame Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, HoagieRoll said:

College ball as a whole seems to have taken a step back compared to last year, talent-wise. 
Similar to the UConn game it’s frustrating to watch this team continue to be so poor at the fundamentals for long stretches. I don’t see any way this team goes .500 in conference, and if so hopefully Archie feels the heat. Tired of inconsistency and mediocrity 

Have you watched any other college games this year because every team has warts and will lose some games. With KU losing today it is already the 5th time the #1 team lost so far this year.

4 minutes ago, HoagieRoll said:

College ball as a whole seems to have taken a step back compared to last year, talent-wise. 
Similar to the UConn game it’s frustrating to watch this team continue to be so poor at the fundamentals for long stretches. I don’t see any way this team goes .500 in conference, and if so hopefully Archie feels the heat. Tired of inconsistency and mediocrity 

FWIW...Archie is the one that called time out and designed the two go to plays to TJD that led to the tie and the winning 3! Archie was the one whose game plan got us out to a good start and helped us to that lead. Archie will use this to teach the guys what happens when you let up with your intensity. He took Green out when Green was doing "bad" Green and he put a FRESHMAN back into the game. This game wasn't on Archie if we lost....but dangit I don't know if we win it without his moves.

We’re going to be 12-1 going to Maryland with no upperclassmen leadership and people will be complaining. Be thrilled we’ve gotten Ws in tough games with most of the contribution coming from young guys. If TJD stays next year, this team without DG’s boneheaded decisions will be really tough. I’m not thrilled with the play on the floor, but I can see the light. 

5 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

When was the last time you said something positive?

the team was poor around the rim for ten minutes and struggled in defensive transition, but gutted out a win....We missed at least ten looks around the rim in the second half, I am impressed that they didn't fold

you do you, i'll do me. That melt down was embarrassing. You step on their necks not quit.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Have you watched any other college games this year because every team has warts and will lose some games. With KU losing today it is already the 5th time the #1 team lost so far this year.

Indeed....in fact the college basketball elites and I would say the top 10 has REALLY come back to the pack this year. Normally you would say there are 4-5 teams that are a clear cut favorite to win it all. This year....heck anyone in the top 25 probably could. Even if we are about the same as last year we have made progress because the rest of the pack has come back to us.

Just now, HoagieRoll said:

They missed a ton of open 3s...

we also contested pretty well and a few that they hit...I think if you watched the game tape you would say that we had defensive breakdowns on about five of the three point attempts they took and then a few were just plain good offense, several were off of scrambles and long rebounds, and that's just way it goes

1 minute ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Perfect analysis post game on ESPN....Notee Dame went on a big run in large part to Archie still needing to figure out what line ups he needs in the game at certain times.

Also said, Coach Miller has so many options that he is still trying to figure them all out.

Joey, got the start today.  And did not let coach down, IMHO.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You just made my point. The top of every conference seems to have taken a step back compared to last year, but the back ends seem to have gotten better. In some ways that’s good for us, but we’ll need to fight extremely hard to get to .500 in conference. No easy wins in conference at all. 

6 minutes ago, HoagieRoll said:

I wouldn’t say they got hot, they missed a ton of open 3s before then and had a return to the mean in terms of their shooting. Talent wise there’s a huge gap, but no doubt the result would probably be similar if this team played five more times 

They missed all of those 3's because we played great defense and did not let them to have wide open looks.

1 minute ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Perfect analysis post game on ESPN....Notee Dame went on a big run in large part to Archie still needing to figure out what line ups he needs in the game at certain times.

And that is because his upper classman (AD and DG) are not getting it done. That is sad but it's becoming more clear the young guys need to play more minutes...sad your Juniors and Seniors can't be counted on but that is what Crean left us.

15 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

Second consecutive game the result is a win, but the cumulative impact is a team on the decline.  In both games the losing team was superior. 

We shot better and outrebounded them.  Both teams kept turnovers fairly low (12 and 9).  Exactly what was Notre Dame superior at?  

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

you do you, i'll do me. That melt down was embarrassing. You step on their necks not quit.

Fair, but I've watched Bob Knight teams melt down, and Mike K teams melt down, and Mike Brey Teams melt down, and Roy Williams teams melt down...and you don't always see teams recover inside of there minutes like that...I was impressed with that

Archived