Notre Dame Postgame Thread

KDB

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Archie on postgame....Armaan I don't care about your % you just keep shooting. Really getting a feel why kids love our coach. Real connection. Can hear it in his voice.

Kind of wish he would have put Armaan in a little sooner when we were gagging up the lead.  

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read people getting down on CAM on the game thread so I’m gonna state my stance firmly.

If we put up with Crean for what, 9 years (maybe I’m off but it’s all a nightmare blurt), I have absolutely NO issues being patient with Archie for a good 5. Do I want to see an overall trend of improvement? Yes and I do see that. Then I want to see him with the entire roster HIS, that’s the first year the gloves come off for me. But I also know anything could happen in one year which gives me to year 5. I expect us competing for BT titles and final fours by then. No question.

But this guy EASILY has a better Basketball IQ than Crean had. No question. And he comes with RMK’s endorsement and admittedly that carries A LOT of weight with me. So that’s where Hans stands. (Aka BadgerVol...born and raised in The Fort)

7 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Perfect analysis post game on ESPN....Notee Dame went on a big run in large part to Archie still needing to figure out what line ups he needs in the game at certain times.

Yep.  I was all set to pin the loss on Archie.  Just did not understand why he stuck with certain guys when they were, shall we say, sucking.  

3 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I said in the game thread that even a win after blowing that lead would not leave me feeling good.  I'll amend this by saying; unless our freshmen show us something to feel good about.

I wanted a win and would’ve been pissed with a loss BUT this is the kind of win we need before March.

15 minutes ago, HoagieRoll said:

We’re not fooling anyone, it’s an empty 11-1 and voters know that. I’d obviously take a W over an L but that doesn’t mean you can’t dissect the negatives and be wary about what this means come the conference season 

All I can say is you can take your voters and shove them.....never mind..it's Christmas. This team just fought through adversity in 3 consecutive games and found a way to win. We had a horrible lapse for about 8 mins in the second half but this team is learning how to win in crunch time. We are a more balanced and better team than last year...and the guys we have coming in....the two Indiana kids are winners...and Geronimo with his comments about wanting to be a defensive stopper...we are going to continue winning. Just get used to it!

5 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

Fair, but I've watched Bob Knight teams melt down, and Mike K teams melt down, and Mike Brey Teams melt down, and Roy Williams teams melt down...and you don't always see teams recover inside of there minutes like that...I was impressed with that

I loved coach K's meltdown in the 2002 sweet 16 when his team blew a 19 point first half lead.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Yep.  I was all set to pin the loss on Archie.  Just did not understand why he stuck with certain guys when they were, shall we say, sucking.  

I actually think that one of his strengths as a coach is finding the right guys down the stretch...I think that we had a couple guys who didn't play up to their abilities around the rim, and I wish that Armaan had played 3-4 more minutes than he did...but I think that the last two games can pay positive dividends if the coaching staff starts to believe in three guard lineups a bit more and a couple of guys get their confidence back (Phinisee was not even looking at the rim, Durham had a tough game, Smith was unsure in the lane today)

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

All I can say is you can take your voters and shove them.....never mind..it's Christmas. This team just fought through adversity in 3 consecutive games and found a way to win. We had a horrible laps for about 8 mins in the second half but this team is learning how to win in crunch time. We are a more balanced and better team than last year...and the guys we have coming in....the two Indiana kids are winners...and Geronimo with his comments about wanting to be a defensive stopper...we are going to continue winning. Just get used to it!

Correct.  There was a time in recent history, when things were not going well for IU, that they would just pact their bags, and go home.  Not this team.  They fight through adversity.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

Coming out party for Franklin. Wow I hope that kid grabs some serious confidence from this. By years end he could be a key piece. And if he spends an off season really working on his handles and outside shot he could be...?????

I think Rob fed off his winner last year...until he got hurt that is lol. Why not Franklin!

This is the third year Archie has coached these guys. The “Crean guys” whining is getting old. Is Crean secretly still coaching his guys? Is a highly paid D1 coach unable to impact a players behavior after three years?  Why did Archie keep Al in for so long? We need a shooter and another PG. Is it also Creans  fault that we still don’t have them? 

Nice games by Brunk and Franklin. Could launch both of them for the rest of the year.

If we hit our bunnies we win by 14.

Our scoring drought roughly coincided with ND packing their defense well inside the three. We are going to see a lot of that going forward. 

Was nice to see how we handled their zone in the first half.

Glad we got the W. At tourney decision time ....a win is a win.

Just now, mchenry34 said:

I actually think that one of his strengths as a coach is finding the right guys down the stretch...I think that we had a couple guys who didn't play up to their abilities around the rim, and I wish that Armaan had played 3-4 more minutes than he did...but I think that the last two games can pay positive dividends if the coaching staff starts to believe in three guard lineups a bit more and a couple of guys get their confidence back (Phinisee was not even looking at the rim, Durham had a tough game, Smith was unsure in the lane today)

It's funny because when we got the big lead, I was mentally praising Archie for sticking with a lineup that was playing well.  But, at some point that group stalled out.  While i was okay with letting them try to work through it initially, when the wheels were coming off, I thought Archie was slow to react.  And, he never did get Al out of the game, which should have happened early today.  Al simply did not play well.   

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

This is the third year Archie has coached these guys. The “Crean guys” whining is getting old. Is Crean secretly still coaching his guys? Is a highly paid D1 coach unable to impact a players behavior after three years?  Why did Archie keep Al in for so long? We need a shooter and another PG. Is it also Creans  fault that we still don’t have them? 

Nice games by Brunk and Franklin. Could launch both of them for the rest of the year.

If we hit our bunnies we win by 14.

Our scoring drought roughly coincided with ND packing their defense well inside the three. We are going to see a lot of that going forward. 

Was nice to see how we handled their zone in the first half.

Who’s whining?

4 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

But this guy EASILY has a better Basketball IQ than Crean had. No question. And he comes with RMK’s endorsement and admittedly that carries A LOT of weight

And not just Crean. Brey stayed with that 2-3 zone WAY too long. I would have gone to man, or a different zone after the first 10 minutes. At least Archie tried a bunch of stuff and stuck with things that worked against that zone.

We didn't do that great a job against the man-to-man, mainly because we quit moving 5 guys, screening, and making hard cuts. But they did grit it out.

Merry Christmas everybody!

13 minutes ago, HoagieRoll said:

We always do, we don’t have shooters like them and are fortunate they didn’t play to their strength. They’re 140 in 3pt % and IU is somewhere in the 200s

So...they had wide open looks and missed because they are 140th in 3pt% or because of IU’s “bad” defense?

Hate to agree with dbm but I’m not seeing much difference between this 11-1 start and the 12-2 start last year. We continue to squeak out wins over inferior opponents and overall it doesn’t bode well for conference season. I think there’s a higher chance we finish with 18 wins than 22, but we’ll see 😕

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It was pretty evident to see what 3 players for us came to play by the halftime break...

Archived