Notre Dame Postgame Thread

KDB

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yes, love the win, BUT...how frustrating must it be to the staff that the freshmen and the grad transfer absolutely carried this team?  Good for Joey, Trayce and Armaan...without those three, this game would have been fugly.

Hopefully, our returning players are embarrassed and motivated going forward.

Frustrating? More like proud. They're the ones that recruited them. I'm frustrated if NOBODY gets the job done.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Frustrating? More like proud. They're the ones that recruited them. I'm frustrated if NOBODY gets the job done.

I'm sure they are proud of how those three played, but frustrated in the uneven play of players they've been developing for more than two years.

Sorry guys...I'm happy to win but not feeling much like pumping sunshine after watching the effort/execution of players not named Armaan, Trayce and Joey...

39 minutes ago, Reacher said:

My biggest gripe from the game was even though ND was probably told to play off Justin so he could receive the in bounds and then foul him, why did we not get the ball to a better free throw shooter and try to run of an extra second or two?

Agreed, they should have subbed immediately to get Green in the game 

Yep, a win is a win...

As far as the "Crean guys" argument goes, I think the point is Archie wouldn't have recruited guys like Devonte and Justin...or Troy Williams for that matter. Crean didn't mind recruiting high risk flashy kids. Archie tends to lean more toward solid basketball skills and basketball IQ.

Not to say Justin or Devonte are bad kids or basketball players. But they're wildly inconsistent and try to make the spectacular play when the proper basketball play would do.

As far as Al goes, I said before the season started that if he's a starter for us, we're no better than middle-of-the-pack B10 material...

And I stand by that...

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

If we win 25+ games, finish 4th in the league , etc I think all will consider this a very successful season.  No matter our average margin of victory.  The point some are making is that like last season we're not nearly as good as our record.  You will see this soon.  

I just really don't care lol

I'm not the coach or a player. Nothing I say on here will have any bearing on any game. I'm a fan, we won. Regardless of anything, we're extremely tough minded. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I told everyone last season when we were 12-2 that it was a bad team.  They didn't listen.  This season isn't any better.

I disagree.  This team can beat anybody, lose to anybody and most games will come down to a one possession game, unfortunately for our health.  This is what you get focusing so much of your energy on D, a sometimes poor ball movement on O.  Pick your poison so to speak but these kids know minutes is determined on D and their O game is suffering, mainly shooting from prob fatigue.  Time will tell if this style holds up in conf play but your comment about this team is no better is not true.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

No doubt. Sure I was yelling at the TV for about a 6 min stretch there too while we blew our lead but the Archie haters really should save their b!tching and moaning for when we ACTUALLY LOSE. We are going to lose some games this year....they will have their chances...but just the amount of negativity is unwarranted at this point this year.

Funny point as I was yelling, slamming and cursing once ND took the lead that eve the dogs decided to leave the room. I was cursing Archie’s 11 man rotation as I think the Offense would be in better rhythm with a 7-8 man rotation.  I still believe that to be true but at the end of the day a victory gives CAM a pass from what could’ve been a complete MELTDOWN from HN!  I think CAM has a system in place to be very successful, RMK successful but I pray that HN including myself has the patience to let it all play out!   

As others have echoed I think it’s clear Archie is a better coach than Crean.  Man he has had some fantastic plays post timeout for the team to run.  I think I have to agree after reading through these 8 pages, sit back and enjoy the win and hope we see more wins as the season gets tougher.

I’m going to Yogi’s, whose coming with me?! 

Notre Dame did an outstanding job of contesting shots in the paint without getting whistled. Really took away a lot of the easy points we usually get and need. 

If Franklin is a shooter, we are a whole new team. I'm impressed that he had the confidence to shoot those given his results prior. 

I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the 2 calls against Davis - I didn't see either of them as fouls.

If phinisee learns to hit a mid range jumper, he is going to be deadly. 

12 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Notre Dame did an outstanding job of contesting shots in the paint without getting whistled. Really took away a lot of the easy points we usually get and need. 

If Franklin is a shooter, we are a whole new team. I'm impressed that he had the confidence to shoot those given his results prior. 

I'm going to have to go back and rewatch the 2 calls against Davis - I didn't see either of them as fouls.

If phinisee learns to hit a mid range jumper, he is going to be deadly. 

This.

Phin’s perimeter defense was, as usual, terrific. He hasn’t gotten his offensive rhythm back. At all. Even against NE he looked uneven. He CAN shoot, he just hasn’t found his flow yet. 

This season nobody’s dominant. I still find our star trending up. We are typically limiting turnovers and destroying other teams on the glass. A college basketball season is a process for most teams. We are not an exception. We aren’t great because we haven’t been consistently good in awhile. Our defensive effort was VASTLY improved today. ND didn’t shoot well from deep because we busted tail to contest the perimeter. 

Rebounding, defense, and turnovers...these are our trinity this year. If we keep the first way up, the second intense, and the third low, games will likely be close, but we’re gonna in more than we’ll lose. I’m seeing a toughness developing that I really like.

Just now, southsidehoosier said:

Anybody notice the ND guy shoulder Franklin in the chest when ND called a TO after Franklin hit that clutch 3?

Or shove and extend his arm into Phinsee’s back on the loose ball out of bounds at mid court? I couldn’t believe there wasn’t even a common foul called there.

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

need to go with a 7 man rotation.  Phinesee, Green, Durham, Smith, Jackson-Davis, Brunk, Franklin

Not yet, we don’t. We have to consider we might well be beating teams because we have rested guys deep into games. While we’re winning and still trending towards a tourney berth, there’s no real sensible reason to drastically limit meaningful minutes that are informing legitimate depth on this team. 

18 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

The first one looked like perfect D. I didn't see any contact. Didn't see the second as well. Think he may have touched the guy, rather than fouled him.

Regardless, I think he might lead the country in fouls per minute.

2 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Was it that same guy? Phinisee kept his cool better then I would’ve. Bush league move

Not sure...I did detect some punka**’ness from ND across the board. The five-way, simultaneous whining about “watch the replay” on the tipped ball towards the end...I mean, that call wasn’t even close.

From AP game article on ESPN

Indiana: The victory certainly helps the Hoosiers' postseason resume. They now have neutral court wins over Connecticut and Notre Dame along with home wins over Florida State and perennial tourney caliber South Dakota State. Plus, they still could add another big nonconference win, against Arkansas, before returning to league play. Aside from the blowout loss at Wisconsin, the first half of the season couldn't have gone any better for Indiana.

Archived