Notre Dame Postgame Thread

KDB

2 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

IU doesn’t win this game w/o those clutch pull up jumpers late from DG you know!  IU loses w/o those crucial 30 pts from DG gainst FSU you know!  I’m scared that once CAM gets “his” guys, we don’t have these clutch shots that help win games.  Time will tell but Crean knows which players that can put the ball thru the hoop.  Imagine THIS TEAM TODAY w/o Devante Green??

A lot of confusion here & all I was trying to say is Crean knew Offense and his teams showed that.  DG was a Crean recruit & despite his TO’s, the guy is the only option so far that resembles a true shooter.  That’s all didn’t mean to confuse you all.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think having the ball move with the pass and not the dribble more resembles good basketball. It’s much harder on the D in my mind.  

Agreed. I love seeing the ball get reversed from one side of the court to the other with 2-3 passes and zero dribbles. Helps open passing lanes to the interior, gives perimeter shooters some good looks etc etc. On the flip side I’m not a fan of watching someone dribble, dribble, dribble at the top of the key waiting for something to open up/happen. 

1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

Maybe it’s just me BadVol but right now DG is the only player i feel comfortable shooting the ball?  Yes, the Magic Johnson pass TO’s bring me off my seat but those step back jumpers in CRITICAL moments quickly remind me its nice to have such clutch shot on our roster!  Please tell me who else on this roster you’d rather shoot the ball as we are DISMALL in that category?  Rob was 0-6 today and Franklin was 16% before today so I’m curious??  Still waiting

If we need a last shot I do agree with you. I trust him getting the shot off more than anyone else. I’m starting to think the next I’m line for that role might end up being franklin by seasons end and going into next year. (At least from the backcourt)

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

For those who only want a seven (7?!) or eight man rotation, you lose today.  Not only are you ignoring the impact depth can have on out conditioning the opponent—and we’ve seen that in other games where we are just fresher late in the game—but Franklin wouldn’t have played today.  He was struggling in recent games and wouldn’t make your top eight, let alone seven.  

This team has some nice parts but we don’t have a superstar type of transcending talent who just takes over like a Cheaney.  We can win, though, by wearing out the opponent and if we get a couple of guys who get hot or otherwise play above their norms.  Today, Franklin and Brunk were lights out.  Anderson was excellent late in the last game.  Hopefully, we will continue to have different guys emerge game in-game out.  

I’m on the side of shortening the bench.  Yes, AF was a diff maker but can he show that wk to wk?  Today, Race, Davis & Anderson had no business being on the court but other games maybe?  These 3 players basically equaled a TO today & made the Offense out of sink.  Tough job for CAM to make this 11 man rotation work.

1 minute ago, BADGERVOL said:

If we need a last shot I do agree with you. I trust him getting the shot off more than anyone else. I’m starting to think the next I’m line for that role might end up being franklin by seasons end and going into next year. (At least from the backcourt)

I hope your right on Franklin and until the yr plays out I can’t argue and only hope!!!  Let’s hope this kid has found the light!

Here is what I saw today:

• Team refused to quit.  Down 5, fought hard, made the winning plays
  • Closed out hard with hands up on 3 point shooters, so much better than vs Nebraska
  • good ball and player movement and a focus, despite the defense to get the ball inside
  • effort on the boards, offensive rebounding was great.  key word is effort. B ball is a game of momentum, and IU lost it for a few minutes, but never quit or gave up.
  • Brunk the bruiser was a force.  With a little better touch around the rim, there were about 10 points or so left on the floor. But, he is what he is.
  • Archie had the team ready to play, devised a defense to counter a team that had put about 45% of their points on the board from 3 pt land.
  • Team does get stagnant, stops moving, starts dribbling or just passing the ball around sometimes.  Momentum shift.
  • Clearly ND was going to let Smith take the last in bounds play as he was the only player not guarded.  (65% FT shooter)  Good coaching by Brey.
  • IU is now 5 and 3 in the eight years of playing. PU is 2 and 6.  PU has had a lot more success recently than IU, so MAYBE success in Dec is not so indicative of end of season?
  • still, love the W.

7 minutes ago, IUalum said:

• Closed out hard with hands up on 3 point shooters, so much better than vs Nebraska
  • good ball and player movement and a focus, despite the defense to get the ball inside
  • effort on the boards, offensive rebounding was great.  key word is effort. B ball is a game of momentum, and IU lost it for a few minutes, but never quit or gave up.
  • Brunk the bruiser was a force.  With a little better touch around the rim, there were about 10 points or so left on the floor. But, he is what he is.
  • Archie had the team ready to play, devised a defense to counter a team that had put about 45% of their points on the board from 3 pt land.
  • Team does get stagnant, stops moving, starts dribbling or just passing the ball around sometimes.  Momentum shift.
  • Clearly ND was going to let Smith take the last in bounds play as he was the only player not guarded.  (65% FT shooter)  Good coaching by Brey.
  • IU is now 5 and 3 in the eight years of playing. PU is 2 and 6.  PU has had a lot more success recently than IU, so MAYBE success in Dec is not so indicative of end of season?
  • still, love the W.

Being from the SB area my buddy is a huge ND homer.  Before the game he said this would be a blowout but I quickly reminded him this IU team plays to its competition!  Low & behold the ugly & pathetic play by the IRISH lulled this IU team to sleep and they did not come out in second half with any inspiration & ALMOST cost a victory.  IU’s second half was so dismal you could see they did not respect ND’s game and just went thru the motions.  It almost cost them if not for an heroic performance from local guy AF, which IMO saved HN from total meltdown.

1 hour ago, IUalum said:

• still, love the W.

* Liked Millers inbound plays at the end to get TJD looks

* Still no clear leader on the team, but candidates are better this year than last year. Durham, Smith, Green, Davis are probably great kids and put in a lot of work, but simply don’t have the “killer” mentality. When other teams make runs, IU lacks that guy to take control and lead.

* Miller is still a work in progress. Great moments with evidence of potential....but moments where it feels like he’s guessing.

* IU’s roster has one clear stud (TJD) and 9 other average players that have clear strengths and weaknesses on any given night. Knight in his prime could make a run with this team, let’s see what Miller can do.

* IU has 19 games left, they could get 14 wins or 6 and neither would surprise me.

* IU has played 12 games and no one really feels confident how good they are.

41 minutes ago, JugRox said:

* Liked Millers inbound plays at the end to get TJD looks

* Still no clear leader on the team, but candidates are better this year than last year. Durham, Smith, Green, Davis are probably great kids and put in a lot of work, but simply don’t have the “killer” mentality. When other teams make runs, IU lacks that guy to take control and lead.

* Miller is still a work in progress. Great moments with evidence of potential....but moments where it feels like he’s guessing.

* IU’s roster has one clear stud (TJD) and 9 other average players that have clear strengths and weaknesses on any given night. Knight in his prime could make a run with this team, let’s see what Miller can do.

* IU has 19 games left, they could get 14 wins or 6 and neither would surprise me.

* IU has played 12 games and no one really feels confident how good they are.

I like ☝️

20 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I was really surprised to look at the box score and see that Smith was 2 for 10 - I knew he didn't score much, but I don't remember him taking any bad shots.  

He gets great position in the post but simply can’t finish.

Milller tried going though Smith and it just didn’t work.

Smith has all the tools....just can’t finish 

47 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I was really surprised to look at the box score and see that Smith was 2 for 10 - I knew he didn't score much, but I don't remember him taking any bad shots.  

I remember him taking an off-balance twisting shot in the paint that had virtually no chance of going in.  There may be others but I specifically remember him taking what I thought was a really low-percentage shot.

14 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

IU doesn’t win this game w/o those clutch pull up jumpers late from DG you know!  IU loses w/o those crucial 30 pts from DG gainst FSU you know!  I’m scared that once CAM gets “his” guys, we don’t have these clutch shots that help win games.  Time will tell but Crean knows which players that can put the ball thru the hoop.  Imagine THIS TEAM TODAY w/o Devante Green??

Maybe with "Archie's guys" we have the upper class leadership and consistency to NOT give away 17 point leads to middle of the pack Power 5 teams.

I hope Armaan's performance helps the upper classmen see that they need to not only step up their game, but their leadership as well. 

And I'd take a consistent 15 point per Devonte over 30 one game and 5 the next any day...

I liked what i saw from this team for the most part. This team is still trying to find it's identity. Remember we had no real inside presence the last couple of years. This year we do and Durham seems to be the best at understanding that. Green seems reluctant at times to throw it in there maybe he thinks it" not coming back out? once he learns to play the inside out game with the bigs and they develop that trust in each other his shooting will get much better.

This team just needs to keep improving on the defensive end and heads will be turning.  Go Hoosiers! 

8 minutes ago, jojo123 said:

I liked what i saw from this team for the most part. This team is still trying to find it's identity. Remember we had no real inside presence the last couple of years. This year we do and Durham seems to be the best at understanding that. Green seems reluctant at times to throw it in there maybe he thinks it" not coming back out? once he learns to play the inside out game with the bigs and they develop that trust in each other his shooting will get much better.

This team just needs to keep improving on the defensive end and heads will be turning.  Go Hoosiers! 

100%  ND made its run when it seemed a few guys pumped the brakes on intensity AND killed it on transition points.  If IU can elimnate or get better at the one arm floaters/semi hook or acrobatic layups Green and Durham thow up that lead to easy transition points, we will see strides.  Also, like many have mentioned if at least one guy each night is knocking down threes it will stretch the floor and the offense is totally different.

Over the past two years this offense puts up points without any shooters, imagine when the open shots are hit, or curls, flares, etc.

Franklin is a stud and tough, the team always looks more fluid with him.  

Something was off with Rob, he had 0 lift when going to the basket and his shots were short or long.  He seemed off and not as active.

Green, the same to a certain extent.

Maybe those two are still fighting through something?

As most know Armaan's Mom is very active on twitter. I pulled up her timeline and someone who consistently likes her posts is her good friend Sarita Brooks (Keion's Mom). But my point is this looking at her posts you'll be shocked who was in the conversation and joking back and forth. Our good friend Snow. I know I've said I would leave this in the rear view mirror...but when a guy like that takes shots at our fans and was used as a pawn by a family to soften the blow when they chose UK I don't think I'll ever get over that one. 

Anyway....so happy for Franklin and his family. Must be walking around on cloud 9 today. Kids home for holidays and everyone loving them. 

10 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

Almost every shot he takes is bad. Smith has no shot and he has bad hands. His plus/minus yesterday had to be awful and it doesn't take into account the times he was not hustling. 

You would think either he or the coaching staff would of worked on his shot during the off season. If he couldn't dunk he would have zero offensive skills.

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Almost every shot he takes is bad. Smith has no shot and he has bad hands. His plus/minus yesterday had to be awful and it doesn't take into account the times he was not hustling. 

Justin tied with Hunter at +7. Franklin led at +12 and Green was second at +9 (Brunk was 0 and TJD -1).

You would think either he or the coaching staff would of worked on his shot during the off season. If he couldn't dunk he would have zero offensive skills.

You are on quite a Justin rampage lately.  Haha

I get the frustration. But Justin did not take more than one bad/forced shot yesterday. He did miss several easy ones. I typically dont hammer a player who misses good shots. I get more upset with bad shots, and he really has not taken many bad shots this season.

With that said, he had a huge block when he hustled the floor and stuffed Mooney at the rim, on a break.

He does a lot for this team imo. So I do not love 2 for 10. But I do not think Justin played a bad game. He contributed  imo.

Justin’s plus minus was +7. He had a bad shooting game yesterday but statistically you’re completely wrong about Smith. 

Archived