Eric Musselman discusses Indiana

I think it’s interesting with coaches in the NCAA that have varied exposure which includes NBA experience. I never thought it made that much of a difference, but I’m beginning to change my thoughts. I think recruits see them as better preparing them for after college and the coaches seem to play a more up tempo style that allows a player to showcase their talents better. I think Archie is at somewhat of a disadvantage because he preaches sacrifice fir the team, which is not going to be popular with a lot of players. I think he brings a tough style of play that Indiana fans like, but I think it will take us longer to realize success and harder to sustain for the long haul. I think he has to recruit inside out because Indiana kids Are the few likely committed to this type of system. 

4 minutes ago, iufaninand said:

I think it’s interesting with coaches in the NCAA that have varied exposure which includes NBA experience. I never thought it made that much of a difference, but I’m beginning to change my thoughts. I think recruits see them as better preparing them for after college and the coaches seem to play a more up tempo style that allows a player to showcase their talents better. I think Archie is at somewhat of a disadvantage because he preaches sacrifice fir the team, which is not going to be popular with a lot of players. I think he brings a tough style of play that Indiana fans like, but I think it will take us longer to realize success and harder to sustain for the long haul. I think he has to recruit inside out because Indiana kids Are the few likely committed to this type of system. 

I think it's going to take a few really good seasons and deep runs in the tourney, much like Virginia, to establish that CAM can get kids success and showcased for the next level.  Missing the tourney is hard on recruiting.  We're pretty lucky to be Indiana with kids who dream to play for IU.  Although I think that dream is waning each year we slip away from blue blood status.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I think it's going to take a few really good seasons and deep runs in the tourney, much like Virginia, to establish that CAM can get kids success and showcased for the next level.  Missing the tourney is hard on recruiting.  We're pretty lucky to be Indiana with kids who dream to play for IU.  Although I think that dream is waning each year we slip away from blue blood status.

I agree completely. My concern is that we are so fractured as a fan base that I’m not sure CAM is going to get the time he needs to establish it. I just hope he can stay committed in the face growing criticism 

16 minutes ago, iufaninand said:

I agree completely. My concern is that we are so fractured as a fan base that I’m not sure CAM is going to get the time he needs to establish it. I just hope he can stay committed in the face growing criticism 

What he is doing isn’t working plain and simple. It’s been 2 1/2 years. If not having shooters and giving up 3 pointers was going to work consistently I think we would have seen some signs by now 

The enormous turnover rate that is college basketball and there hasn’t been a shooter walk through the door by now (2.5years). Completely ludicrous. They come and go so quickly. I can’t remember their faces let alone their names. Well I guess there is always next week. 

Eric Musselman won at Assembly Hall last week. He must be an amazing coach. Future hall of famer is you ask me. All things being equal, just reverse the coaches and IU wins the Arkansas game. Fml

28 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Dont be a douchebag.  I think there is alot going on behind the scenes we don't know about.  

Classy response. 

Archie is captain of the ship. He would get the credit if things were going well he gets the blame when they don’t. It’s how it is in coaching. 

4 hours ago, iufaninand said:

This is correct thinking but what bothers me the most is that I don't think it has to take that long. I just can't believe that in Year 3, Miller couldn't have 10-12 hard nosed, Indiana HS kids who are fundamentally sound with extremely high basketball IQs and not make the tournament while simultaneously building the culture he wants. You can see it even now. Franklin & TJD are absolute dogs man. Brunk is a dog. Galloway & Leal are going to be LEGENDS in my opinion. Geronimo is about as excited as can be to get to Bloomington. If a kid is more interested in getting to the NBA than in playing for Indiana, then I think it's an immediate pass. Nobody wants to live through another 5-26 season, but if Miller is constantly preaching culture then I think the fanbase buys in. 

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Classy response. 

Archie is captain of the ship. He would get the credit if things were going well he gets the blame when they don’t. It’s how it is in coaching. 

Yes, i agree Archie is the one in charge of the team.  And he gets the praise and blame based on the outcome of games. 

But he answers to someone like most of us do.  He is just not the type of guy to tell those people to kiss his ass and do it his way. 

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Yes, i agree Archie is the one in charge of the team.  And he gets the praise and blame based on the outcome of games. 

But he answers to someone like most of us do.  He is just not the type of guy to tell those people to kiss his ass and do it his way. 

You have to be that guy to be successful.  Who is it that you think is telling him not to do it his way?

11 hours ago, Madison22 said:

"People ask about Arkansas depth, and if we'll get tired.  Well (Indiana) plays a lot of guys, but at the end we weren't the tired team.  We finished on a 19-3 run."

Ouch.

I still don't get why people think you have to play a lot of players and think kids today can't play big minutes.  I know, I know things are different today but last night I watched the 1980 game against OSU.  In that game for the big ten title RMK played 6 guys the whole game and did not sub in the first half until Butch Carter got his 3rd foul.  IU had 3 guys play the whole game which the game went to OT so they played all 45 minutes.  OSU had two guys who played the whole game but today they act like if you play a guy 30 minutes you are taxing him.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still don't get why people think you have to play a lot of players and think kids today can't play big minutes.  I know, I know things are different today but last night I watched the 1980 game against OSU.  In that game for the big ten title RMK played 6 guys the whole game and did not sub in the first half until Butch Carter got his 3rd foul.  IU had 3 guys play the whole game which the game went to OT so they played all 45 minutes.  OSU had two guys who played the whole game but today they act like if you play a guy 30 minutes you are taxing him.

I truly think one unconventional line of thought is that kids simply have many more option now than they did back in those days. Coaches give playing time to more kids so they don't have to turn over their roster every year...

With transfer rules, grad transfer rules, D league, G league and early entry to the NBA, kids can get playing time a lot of places.

If we only played Devonte, Durham, Smith, Brunk, and Phinisee 35-40 minutes a game, what do you think Thompson, Hunter, Franklin, and Anderson would do? They'd go someplace else and play...

RMK basically had them locked in  once they signed that scholarship offer, unless they wanted to sit for a year...

Not saying that's all of it, just a piece...

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I truly think one unconventional line of thought is that kids simply have many more option now than they did back in those days, a coaches give playing time to more kids so they don't have to turn over their roster every year...

With transfer rules, grad transfer rules, D league, G league and early entry to the NBA, kids can get playing time a lot of places.

If we only played Devonte, Durham, Smith, Brunk, and Phinisee 35-40 minutes a game, what do you think Thompson, Hunter, Franklin, and Anderson would do? They'd go someplace else and play...

RMK basically had them locked in  once they signed that scholarship offer, unless they wanted to sit for a year...

To me that is a problem in today'.  Like I said in another post where people want to see Archie totally bench a guy but don't because they feel like they are being held hostage.  I just never see coaches today bench a guy for a whole game or a stretch of games for poor play.  I feel like these coaches feel so much pressure to win that they feel like they have to play the players that gives them the best chance to win that game.

"We wanted their (our) perimeter players to get as many shots up as they could."  This will be what teams give us all year, just like last year.  If we get hot, like Smith against MSU or Green against FSU, we are a darn good team that can play with anyone.  TJD is going to be surrounded until we show something that is suppose to be a staple of Indiana basketball.  

To me, one of the big differences between college coaches and coaches with NBA experience, is that college coaches run systems, whereas NBA coaches look for mismatches. It was pretty clear coming into the second half that Arkansas had a speed and shooting advantage. So what did Musselman do? He gave whoever TJD was defending, knowing since we were big that he was guarding a perimeter player, the ball at the top of the key. He then spaced everybody out and had Joe set a ball screen on TJD's man, thus creating a mismatch and confusion for TJD and whoever was involved in defending the ball screen with him.

They pretty much ran that most of the second half. It was rocket science, it was just seeing what was happening on the floor and putting your playmaker in a position to take advantage of a glaring mismatch. 

Most college coaches simply stick with their system because it's their system and it has to work.

36 minutes ago, BGleas said:

To me, one of the big differences between college coaches and coaches with NBA experience, is that college coaches run systems, whereas NBA coaches look for mismatches. It was pretty clear coming into the second half that Arkansas had a speed and shooting advantage. So what did Musselman do? He gave whoever TJD was defending, knowing since we were big that he was guarding a perimeter player, the ball at the top of the key. He then spaced everybody out and had Joe set a ball screen on TJD's man, thus creating a mismatch and confusion for TJD and whoever was involved in defending the ball screen with him.

They pretty much ran that most of the second half. It was rocket science, it was just seeing what was happening on the floor and putting your playmaker in a position to take advantage of a glaring mismatch. 

Most college coaches simply stick with their system because it's their system and it has to work.

So, you're saying it's not about plays rather it's about players?  Imagine that!  How does CAM not get that communicated  to his players.  Everyone in the stadium knew the ball had to get to TJD except the players on offense and the bigs were getting killed on defense.  Just a head scratcher to me. 

48 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

So, you're saying it's not about plays rather it's about players?  Imagine that!  How does CAM not get that communicated  to his players.  Everyone in the stadium knew the ball had to get to TJD except the players on offense and the bigs were getting killed on defense.  Just a head scratcher to me. 

But you couldn’t get it to TJD with Smith and Brunk in there with him. Arkansas just packed the paint. That’s where IU needed to go small, and it’s also where Phinisee not being 100% and not having Durham and Hunter (for wing depth) hurt. 

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

But you couldn’t get it to TJD with Smith and Brunk in there with him. Arkansas just packed the paint. That’s where IU needed to go small, and it’s also where Phinisee not being 100% and not having Durham and Hunter (for wing depth) hurt. 

My thoughts at the game were that we could have pulled Brunk for either Franklin or even Bybee.   Phinesse seems to still be harboring some sort of injury and truly was not himself.  CAM seemed to be too committed to the big line up.  Again, I'm no coach but I think CAM was simply stubborn and outcoached. There is no way he doesn't see the advantage of the smaller lineup.  He just refused to change.  I also think we will be in much better shape when RP gets over whatever is ailing him now.  He is just a ghost of the player he was last year.  

11 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

My thoughts at the game were that we could have pulled Brunk for either Franklin or even Bybee.   Phinesse seems to still be harboring some sort of injury and truly was not himself.  CAM seemed to be too committed to the big line up.  Again, I'm no coach but I think CAM was simply stubborn and outcoached. There is no way he doesn't see the advantage of the smaller lineup.  He just refused to change.  I also think we will be in much better shape when RP gets over whatever is ailing him now.  He is just a ghost of the player he was last year.  

Completely agree, the big lineup is killing us once teams adjust to it. The move would have been to go small and put TJD at the 5 so we could better spread the floor. Seemed pretty clear when watching the game. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree, the big lineup is killing us once teams adjust to it. The move would have been to go small and put TJD at the 5 so we could better spread the floor. Seemed pretty clear when watching the game. 

We see things similarly.  Arkansas had no answer for TJD.  I believe CAM is a great coach.  There is no way doesn't see the same thing.  I'm just confused as to why CAM appears to be so obdurate.  My fear is that he sticks to the big line up all season and that could lead to his downfall.   I wish he would address some of his thinking during his postgame and radio shows.  I'm completely bemused with CAM at times but still consider him an upgrade to CTC.  

Archived