2023 NFL Discussion

rico

I hadn't heard this before or maybe I just forgot it, but was listening a sports talk show and they were talking about the Eagles since they just traded Flacco. They brought up the Colts/Wentz pick, as we all know at 75% of the snaps the 2nd becomes a 1st, but what i didn't know or remember is that if the Colts make the playoffs then the snaps requirement lowers to 70% for the pick to become a 1st. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I hadn't heard this before or maybe I just forgot it, but was listening a sports talk show and they were talking about the Eagles since they just traded Flacco. They brought up the Colts/Wentz pick, as we all know at 75% of the snaps the 2nd becomes a 1st, but what i didn't know or remember is that if the Colts make the playoffs then the snaps requirement lowers to 70% for the pick to become a 1st. 

Yeah i think that pick is pretty much guaranteed to be a first rounder. I would be shocked if Wentz didn't play most of the snaps this season, barring injury that is. I've seen some people suggest that the Colts might or should sit him later on this season, which i don't think there is any chance the Colts would even consider that. Teams would be hesitant to trade with them in the future if they did something shady like that.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah i think that pick is pretty much guaranteed to be a first rounder. I would be shocked if Wentz didn't play most of the snaps this season, barring injury that is. I've seen some people suggest that the Colts might or should sit him later on this season, which i don't think there is any chance the Colts would even consider that. Teams would be hesitant to trade with them in the future if they did something shady like that.

Agree. There is no way they can sit him unless they have a playoff spot locked up with no opportunity to improve seed or anything or if it's the last game of the season and they're completely out. 

This isn't basketball, in football you can completely lose your vets if you send them out there but tank with the QB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

See i disagree, i think they end up around 10-7 or 11-6, they are starting to get healthy and playing better. The only two games that i don't give them a great chance in right as of today are at the Bills and Cardinals. And even those two teams are capable of being beat and aren't some juggernaut.

Their secondary has been decimated. Fisher doesn’t look all the way back. Don’t get me wrong. I like our chances against our divisional foes and the Jets but man that’s a tall hill to climb.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree. There is no way they can sit him unless they have a playoff spot locked up with no opportunity to improve seed or anything or if it's the last game of the season and they're completely out. 

This isn't basketball, in football you can completely lose your vets if you send them out there but tank with the QB. 

Yep…you can’t play at 50% or 75% in football. You literally could get killed out there. Guys aren’t going to risk their career for a ownership that is purposely trying to lose (except maybe young guys trying to stay in the league or get paid). Gotta keep your vets invested for sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

If it looks like the pick would be a top 1-10 pick I would sit him but it looks like the Colts ate better than that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

The players I agree with being moved....the locations and picks assigned are not likely imo. Would love for the Colts to have signed Allen Robinson in the off season, but with first round going to Philly...can't see them giving up more picks at this point.

Fwiw.. the Colts are doing EXACTLY what they should in regards to Taylor. He didn't need the carries that Hines got late in the game. I rarely, rarely want him getting more than 20 carries. We can build our offense around him without it. Wentz is legit, OL is top 3, need another weapon. 

RB shelf life is so short. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Fwiw.. the Colts are doing EXACTLY what they should in regards to Taylor. He didn't need the carries that Hines got late in the game. I rarely, rarely want him getting more than 20 carries. We can build our offense around him without it. Wentz is legit, OL is top 3, need another weapon. 

RB shelf life is so short. 

Yeah i think you are right, you don't want to run him into the ground. If he gets around 20 carries a game i think that is plenty for him.

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah i think you are right, you don't want to run him into the ground. If he gets around 20 carries a game i think that is plenty for him.

Even if some games it's 14 carries 3 catches.  Is what it is. He can't be the only one. 

Packers move the ball and rest A Jones. I get they have Rodgers, but it's been done. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

Even if some games it's 14 carries 3 catches.  Is what it is. He can't be the only one. 

Packers move the ball and rest A Jones. I get they have Rodgers, but it's been done. 

As great as Henry is the Titans are probably going to regret in another year or so the beating he takes for as much as they rely on him.

55 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

As great as Henry is the Titans are probably going to regret in another year or so the beating he takes for as much as they rely on him.

That is the exactly what I feel will eventually happen to highly mobile, Raven's QB, Lamar Jackson. I love watching him play. It reminds me of how exciting Randle El was at IU.  It's going to take one unfortunate hit or aggressive tackle while eluding tacklers and his game is dramatically changed. I pray it doesn't happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Guy is a freak of nature. 6'3 240 37" verticle and 4.5 40. If his knees hold up he is on the verge of HOF worthy. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Idiots 

They only need him for two more years....he was never getting a 3rd contract with them. They have a small window and are going to maximize it. He can take the pounding. It's one thing for 5"11 200 lb back to get those carries but this guy is not that imo. They do reduce his work load in two score games...but he is their recipe for success....in the second half his yards per carry go up almost 2 yards. He isn't breaking down....the defense is. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Guy is a freak of nature. 6'3 240 37" verticle and 4.5 40. If his knees hold up he is on the verge of HOF worthy. 

They only need him for two more years....he was never getting a 3rd contract with them. They have a small window and are going to maximize it. He can take the pounding. It's one thing for 5"11 200 lb back to get those carries but this guy is not that imo. They do reduce his work load in two score games...but he is their recipe for success....in the second half his yards per carry go up almost 2 yards. He isn't breaking down....the defense is. 

It's week 8 lol 

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

That is the exactly what I feel will eventually happen to highly mobile, Raven's QB, Lamar Jackson. I love watching him play. It reminds me of how exciting Randle El was at IU.  It's going to take one unfortunate hit or aggressive tackle while eluding tacklers and his game is dramatically changed. I pray it doesn't happen.

They will shut down the running when he gets a long term deal. He is on his rookie 4 year 9 million dollar contract lol. He is doing better in the pocket...but once he signs his big extension...those qb runs will be reduced to only out of necessity and 4th quarter imo.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He literally got 31 touches last week in a blow out. 31. 29 carries. 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's week 8 lol 

I get it....but he ain't Christian McCaffrey who get's hurt in non-contact plays. Not saying they won't or shouldn't manage his work load...because they will...but not everyone needs to be placed in bubble wrap. I don't want to jinx him but let's just be real....he is a different animal from the rest of those running backs. More Jim Brown then LT. Some guys can just take the pounding...Frank Gore for example. 

Edited by dgambill

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I get it....but he ain't Christian McCaffrey who get's hurt in non-contact plays. Not saying they won't or shouldn't manage his work load...because they will...but not everyone needs to be placed in bubble wrap. I don't want to jinx him but let's just be real....he is a different animal from the rest of those running backs. More Jim Brown then LT. Some guys can just take the pounding...Frank Gore for example. 

He's had over 300 carries the last two seasons each. Easily going to hit that mark this season... easy. Plus that doesn't include playoff games. Gore only went over 300 once. Plus there is an extra game from now on. 

Titans are fools. Especially dumb to not have signed a big time backup by now. If a Kenyan Drake type guy. Makes no sense they have no one to back him up. 

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He literally got 31 touches last week in a blow out. 31. 29 carries. 

Man I get it...but Emmitt Smith had similar carry totals at a similar point in his career....went on to have 6 more 1000 yd seasons and two 900 yd ones. I get it...only a few people are able to handle that...well why do we not think Derrick can't. He also started the first two years of his career splitting carries....split carries at Alabama....guy has plenty of juice. Ride him.