2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Bears Coach Matt Nagy positive for Covid. As you can imagine....our fans are very sympathetic.

Not sure why the fans are mad. It's the constant pressure on the team with the chants/media etc to play a kid who isn't ready that caused the front office to tell Nagy to play the rookie. Bears fan's imo getting what they deserve. Considering how they never appreciate any of their qbs (yes they haven't had many great ones) they've had some very servicable to good ones (Cutler) and they are never happy. Fields has no place on the field this year but the fans got their way. Nagy isn't a great coach...but his formula for success running the ball is the only thing that has won them any games at all. 

54 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not sure why the fans are mad. It's the constant pressure on the team with the chants/media etc to play a kid who isn't ready that caused the front office to tell Nagy to play the rookie. Bears fan's imo getting what they deserve. Considering how they never appreciate any of their qbs (yes they haven't had many great ones) they've had some very servicable to good ones (Cutler) and they are never happy. Fields has no place on the field this year but the fans got their way. Nagy isn't a great coach...but his formula for success running the ball is the only thing that has won them any games at all. 

Sorry. It's the years of constantly getting a position wrong that has us the way we are. Like drafting Mitch over Deshaun Watson. Or taking Cedric Benson over Aaron Rodgers.....I could go on and on but here's a list of our QB's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chicago_Bears_starting_quarterbacks

Should Fields be playing? Not sure. I know I trust Peyton Manning's opinion over most which is he said you have to play the guys early. Only way they'll learn. Recently Burrow looked bad before injury, Allen was crap before last year.....playing guys early is proven to work and I agree with it just using those two as recent examples.

With that said....playing a QB with our Oline is what the Jets, Jags and other franchises do and I know the risk and downside to that.

Agree with you on one thing though. Nagy isn't a great coach. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sorry. It's the years of constantly getting a position wrong that has us the way we are. Like drafting Mitch over Deshaun Watson. Or taking Cedric Benson over Aaron Rodgers.....I could go on and on but here's a list of our QB's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chicago_Bears_starting_quarterbacks

Should Fields be playing? Not sure. I know I trust Peyton Manning's opinion over most which is he said you have to play the guys early. Only way they'll learn. Recently Burrow looked bad before injury, Allen was crap before last year.....playing guys early is proven to work and I agree with it just using those two as recent examples.

With that said....playing a QB with our Oline is what the Jets, Jags and other franchises do and I know the risk and downside to that.

Agree with you on one thing though. Nagy isn't a great coach. 

Yeah I know it isn't a popular take. I just don't think you've had it all bad at the qb spot. Most franchises don't have a Brady or Manning. I think qb's are all different. Some are ready to play right away (Peyton) some need to sit at first (Eli) and others need a couple years to round into form. I think a lot of the success has more to do with what is around them and putting them in position to succeed. The Bears don't have that and that is why I think Fields shouldn't be playing. I don't think this is a case of one scenerio being right or wrong. Just the reality on the ground and how ready the kid is. Fields is not Andrew Luck....he isn't even Joe Burrow. I'm aware of the Bears woes...but it hasn't all been qb related. A lot of it has been offensive related but even so decent qbs couldn't over come the poor OL and receivers they've had. It's more total roster construction issues then just simply they haven't had a qb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Orton for the win! 

No idea why he’s on here but I laughed. Solid career though. 

Misleading in my opinion. Not saying that Brady isn't the GOAT, but if the rules were the same back in the day as they are now, with so much favoring offenses in general, and receivers specifically, there wouldn't be near the discrepancy that this shows.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I just hope the Colts win enough that playing Wentz all season isn't even a discussion, but lose enough that their 1st round pick lands somewhere in the mid-to-early teens! :coffee:

I think the Colts are going to be somewhere around 500. We are too good not to win that many and too bad (beat up) to do much more. Wentz hasn't looked awful....as the OL comes together and if we could get him some help on the outside I think he can be just fine. That said Wentz is just as likely to get hurt and make the pick a moot point lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Misleading in my opinion. Not saying that Brady isn't the GOAT, but if the rules were the same back in the day as they are now, with so much favoring offenses in general, and receivers specifically, there wouldn't be near the discrepancy that this shows.

Brady's career/nor Manning's/nor Favres would have lasted nearly as long if the rules hadn't changed. The qb protection rules were all changed because Brady got his first injury! Considering most of his numbers have come late in his career....guy would have probably faced several more season ending injuries had the rules not changed. No qb could survive into their 40's in the old days and play at anywhere close to career best.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think the Colts are going to be somewhere around 500. We are too good not to win that many and too bad (beat up) to do much more. Wentz hasn't looked awful....as the OL comes together and if we could get him some help on the outside I think he can be just fine. That said Wentz is just as likely to get hurt and make the pick a moot point lol.

Colts play the Jets, Texans and Jaguars twice yet this year. That hopefully translates to 4 more wins. They should be favored at home v the Patriots and the Raiders. They have the Titans and Bucs at home, the Bills and Cardinals on the road. If they win the first four, and at least 2 of the remaining 6, they'd be at 9-7 and in the conversation for the last playoff spot. Personally, I think they beat both NE and Vegas, have no chance v the Bills and Cardinals, and a 50/50 chance in the other two.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Brady's career/nor Manning's/nor Favres would have lasted nearly as long if the rules hadn't changed. The qb protection rules were all changed because Brady got his first injury! Considering most of his numbers have come late in his career....guy would have probably faced several more season ending injuries had the rules not changed. No qb could survive into their 40's in the old days and play at anywhere close to career best.

I distinctly remember a game against the Ravens in Brady's first season post-injury where the Ravens were flagged for roughing the passer, twice, and Brady wasn't even knocked down on either play, and one of them the official only threw the flag after Brady looked his way and motioned for a flag to be thrown. The league made it very clear early on that any team that tried to hit Brady would pay a price. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Colts play the Jets, Texans and Jaguars twice yet this year. That hopefully translates to 4 more wins. They should be favored at home v the Patriots and the Raiders. They have the Titans and Bucs at home, the Bills and Cardinals on the road. If they win the first four, and at least 2 of the remaining 6, they'd be at 9-7 and in the conversation for the last playoff spot. Personally, I think they beat both NE and Vegas, have no chance v the Bills and Cardinals, and a 50/50 chance in the other two.

Well they won't finish 9-7...since it's a 17 game season but yes I agree with you. I think they will end up 7-10 or 8-9 gotta almost run the gambit to go 9-8 and have a chance at the playoffs (basically win all but the league leader games). Possible but man everything has to work out basically. Just can't dig that big of a hole. Sucks to lose to Seattle....and then give up that lead to Baltimore....those two are going to kill our playoff chances.

Edited by dgambill

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Both of their records are much better than Kyle Shanahan (31-39) who gets talked about like some kind of football prodigy. 

I think Belichek dooped SF into taking Garropalo. Remember how they acted like he wanted to trade Brady instead....no way Bill wanted to keep Jimmy. SF should have made a Jared Goff type deal with him before everyone saw what he really was....what a phony. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Well they won't finish 9-7...since it's a 17 game season but yes I agree with you. I think they will end up 7-10 or 8-9 gotta almost run the gambit to go 9-8 and have a chance at the playoffs (basically win all but the league leader games). Possible but man everything has to work out basically. Just can't dig that big of a hole. Sucks to lose to Seattle....and then give up that lead to Baltimore....those two are going to kill our playoff chances.

See i disagree, i think they end up around 10-7 or 11-6, they are starting to get healthy and playing better. The only two games that i don't give them a great chance in right as of today are at the Bills and Cardinals. And even those two teams are capable of being beat and aren't some juggernaut.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

See i disagree, i think they end up around 10-7 or 11-6, they are starting to get healthy and playing better. The only two games that i don't give them a great chance in right as of today are at the Bills and Cardinals. And even those two teams are capable of being beat and aren't some juggernaut.

I agree exactly.  Even with the rough start 10 in the minimum IMO.  That still might not be good enough to get a WC

• Like 1