2023 NFL Discussion

rico

12 hours ago, rico said:

Is Kingsbury on the hot seat in Arizona?  I say yes.

Unless something comes out about the locker room/him I'd say no. Maybe next year but losing Hopkins , Watt, and Conner was not helpful. I think the problem was they have tried to let all their guys get healthy Murray, Hopkins, Edmonds etc and lost their competitive edge. They just seem soft to me. Sometimes you just need to play through pain and stay in rhythm. Also they play TERRIBLE at home...that doesn't help. 

On 12/26/2021 at 6:48 AM, btownqb said:

I know at the half way point I said I wasn't impressed with the Reich/Wentz combo...I was hoping for more consistent play and not seeing him step up in big drives/games...and at that point I still feel I was right...but FOR SURE...Wentz has turned the corner (with let's face it the huge help that Taylor getting all the game plan attention brings). The OL being a brick wall hasn't hurt either. It's been really good. I'm not going to get crazy and act like he is the engine that makes this offense goes....but as long as he has an all pro running back and OL in front of him...he is definitely good enough to win a SB. He still has a little of that Andrew Luck superman do too much at the wrong time in him trying to make something out of every single play when just tossing it away and living to fight another day but I'm on board to see where this goes. In my fan heart I was just as hopeful as you from the start...but I'd say he definitely has gotten to the point you said he was.

Edited by dgambill

Colts started 1-4 and I don't want to even revisit the first few weeks of this seasons thread. Likely 11-6 finish. That is a locker room and organization that has a strong belief in themselves. Kudos to the whole operation. 

Speaking of records. On the flip side that Chargers were 4-1 and Herbert (who I really like still) was being named the MVP. Right now if playoffs started Chargers looking in from the outside.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Colts started 1-4 and I don't want to even revisit the first few weeks of this seasons thread. Likely 11-6 finish. That is a locker room and organization that has a strong belief in themselves. Kudos to the whole operation. 

Speaking of records. On the flip side that Chargers were 4-1 and Herbert (who I really like still) was being named the MVP. Right now if playoffs started Chargers looking in from the outside.

I was pretty bullish on the fact that I thought the Colts were fine when they were 1-4. There were so many factors to why that had happened up until that point. That roster has talent. 

New situation for Wentz, stupid amount of training camp injuries, unfamiliarity with people, playing 3 really good teams early, plus not playing well. 

One thing I'll point out as a general comment... Coaches improve. Or at least good coaches improve. Frank Reich has improved. He's good to very good at his job. Chris Ballard is great. Eberflus is very good. 3 guys in major spots in that organization are excelling. It's very enjoyable as a fan that we are well managed and coached. 

Aren't we the least penalized team in the NFL? I'd bet we have a top 3 special teams and we have the best turnovers margin in the NFL. 

Fellas, that's how you win. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I was pretty bullish on the fact that I thought the Colts were fine when they were 1-4. There were so many factors to why that had happened up until that point. That roster has talent. 

New situation for Wentz, stupid amount of training camp injuries, unfamiliarity with people, playing 3 really good teams early, plus not playing well. 

One thing I'll point out as a general comment... Coaches improve. Or at least good coaches improve. Frank Reich has improved. He's good to very good at his job. Chris Ballard is great. Eberflus is very good. 3 guys in major spots in that organization are excelling. It's very enjoyable as a fan that we are well managed and coached. 

Aren't we the least penalized team in the NFL? I'd bet we have a top 3 special teams and we have the best turnovers margin in the NFL. 

Fellas, that's how you win. 

Some of my Bears brethren will never admit it but they love watching the Colts. Got a text Saturday night and I'm paraphrasing but the Colts backup backup OLine are better than our starters. 

My guess is with schedule and how things will shake out next two weeks it could be Colts/Bengals in week 1 of playoffs. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Some of my Bears brethren will never admit it but they love watching the Colts. Got a text Saturday night and I'm paraphrasing but the Colts backup backup OLine are better than our starters. 

My guess is with schedule and how things will shake out next two weeks it could be Colts/Bengals in week 1 of playoffs. 

I feel like the Bears need a re-set.  A new GM and a new coach.  What makes it even more difficult is that they don’t have an identity or even a unit that you can say is the strength of the team.  They have a few good players sprinkled here and there but no unit that gives them an identity.  That makes the rebuild tough.  But if you get a new smart GM——and there are some really good resumes of good number 2 guys—they can get there.  The NFL is a better product when the Bears are good.  Get the re-set going so they can get on their way.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I feel like the Bears need a re-set.  A new GM and a new coach.  What makes it even more difficult is that they don’t have an identity or even a unit that you can say is the strength of the team.  They have a few good players sprinkled here and there but no unit that gives them an identity.  That makes the rebuild tough.  But if you get a new smart GM——and there are some really good resumes of good number 2 guys—they can get there.  The NFL is a better product when the Bears are good.  Get the re-set going so they can get on their way.  

I'll be curious to see if the Trace Armstrong thing is real. I know the quick denial happened but some more chatter still. Bring him in, clean house...get Louis Riddick as GM possibly and go big game hunting on coaching front. No more up and coming guys. It's rumor season for sure but the Sean Payton stuff would be interesting...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Love it!

Funny story: actually just had a buddy who grew a Saints, no idea why, he's from basically where I'm from... anyways, he lives in Franklin, and his son is like 5 now, so he's starting to catch onto sports and all that. He decided he was a full 100% Colts now because of where he lives and being able to root his hometown team with his son. I thought it was an incredibly selfish decision. Pretty cool in my book. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll be curious to see if the Trace Armstrong thing is real. I know the quick denial happened but some more chatter still. Bring him in, clean house...get Louis Riddick as GM possibly and go big game hunting on coaching front. No more up and coming guys. It's rumor season for sure but the Sean Payton stuff would be interesting...

I know Trace has been a long time agent.  Are they talking about him as team President with a GM under him?  He’s a bright guy.   I don’t know if they can pry Sean Payton loose or not.  That would be great if true.  His time in NO may have run it’s course.  Get out of there  and go to the big stage.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I know Trace has been a long time agent.  Are they talking about him as team President with a GM under him?  He’s a bright guy.   I don’t know if they can pry Sean Payton loose or not.  That would be great if true.  His time in NO may have run it’s course.  Get out of there  and go to the big stage.  

That's the stuff I'm trying to piece together. Would Trace be Ops guy with GM running team? Or just him and go get the coach he wants. Payton would obviously be big game and like you said...maybe time has run it's course in New Orleans. Fun few weeks coming though in the rumor mill.

With new rules about interviewing....I could see Nagy and Pace finding out their fate today.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Love it!

Funny story: actually just had a buddy who grew a Saints, no idea why, he's from basically where I'm from... anyways, he lives in Franklin, and his son is like 5 now, so he's starting to catch onto sports and all that. He decided he was a full 100% Colts now because of where he lives and being able to root his hometown team with his son. I thought it was an incredibly selfish decision. Pretty cool in my book. 

Kind of similar for a buddy. He grew up with me in Bears country but because of the Notre Dame connection in family he was a 49ers fan forever. Finally once his kid got to be around 4 he said he cashed all out on 49ers, said his apologies,etc.... and all Bears from that point on. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Payton land a qb and they are right back in the NFC championship game. Their defense is absolutely fine...have a solid OL and star RB. I just don't see him going to Chicago to rebuild...but who knows. He could go to Seattle for instance and have Russell Wilson and fix his career...heck I could see him landing in Dallas and taking over for McCarthy when he inevitably blows up in the post-season.

Edited by dgambill

38 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

All of this, but I wish they could get new ownership as well. So tired of the freaking McCaskeys. This should be a top 5 franchise in the NFL, instead we have what we have for the past 30 years with the occasional hiccup of a good season.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yes they are and from the sounds of things more to come. As long as one is not named JT they'll be find. Taylor might go for 250 this weekend vs Raiders Rush D.

Raiders are spiking at the right moment now, as of now, I think they are pretty healthy 

Edited by Hoosierfan1901
  • Like 2

Did not see much discussion here about it, but recorded, and just watched the Madden tribute Fox did on Christmas Day. If you haven’t seen it, it’s amazingly done, brought back memories I had long forgotten, and is “must see”, Imo.

I would love to see Fox bring him back for one game, or one half, just so younger generations could have the opportunity to hear him live, rather than via a video game 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Raiders are spiking at the right moment now, as of now, I think they are pretty healthy 

They aren't an awful team...just had to deal with a TON this year. Rebounding I'd say.

Can't wait til next year. Colts vs Raiders in Vegas....hope it's on a good date. Wife has been wanting to go back to Vegas for a while and this would make for a fun 3 day getaway!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Did not see much discussion here about it, but recorded, and just watched the Madden tribute Fox did on Christmas Day. If you haven’t seen it, it’s amazingly done, brought back memories I had long forgotten, and is “must see”, Imo.

I would love to see Fox bring him back for one game, or one half, just so younger generations could have the opportunity to hear him live, rather than via a video game 

You actually don't really hear him in the video game anymore either. It's just his name on the cover, the game uses current announcers, has for years. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I know for my generation....John Madden and Pat Summerall were the voice of football. Miss everything about them announcing games lol!

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I recorded it too but haven’t seen it yet.  Guys of my age first started watching football in the 1970s. No Colts in Indy yet.  Lot of Raiders, Cowboys, Dolphins, Steelers and even Vikings jackets, hats etc.  

My favorite era for sports.  1970s to early 1980s, simply because I was a kid then.  

Too young for the Packers of the 1960s but I read a lot of books on them as a kid because the timing was right for my school library. I am glued to any documentary on them now.  

• Like 3