2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Why is that? Honestly.. I'm asking. 

I just think Ryan gives Indy a better shot at the ultimate goal.  Winning a SB.  He is a proven veteran the quite possibly could make the HoF.  I view Mayfield as a work still in progress.  JMO

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I wouldn't be upset about this. If that's the route, why are we upset about the current timeline?

I just want Ballard to improve the skill positions. There have been several sign on reasonable deals and it feels like he hasn’t tried on any of them. As for the QB situation it’s just a theory until he actually gets something done.

Just now, rico said:

I just think Ryan gives Indy a better shot at the ultimate goal.  Winning a SB.  He is a proven veteran the quite possibly could make the HoF.  I view Mayfield as a work still in progress.  JMO

If our O-line plays like they did v Jacksonville and Vegas, would you really want a 36 year old back there who is immobile?

• Like 1

Just now, DC2345 said:

I just want Ballard to improve the skill positions. There have been several sign on reasonable deals and it feels like he hasn’t tried on any of them. As for the QB situation it’s just a theory until he actually gets something done.

Which ones? And honestly, if you were those guys.. why would you come to a quarterbackless team? 

JuJu and OJ Howard were two I was interested in. 

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

If our O-line plays like they did v Jacksonville and Vegas, would you really want a 36 year old back there who is immobile?

This is a great point.. but..  the OL performs like that, it literally won't matter who the QB is... unless we have Vick lol 

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Which ones? And honestly, if you were those guys.. why would you come to a quarterbackless team? 

JuJu and OJ Howard were two I was interested in. 

There in lies the problem. They moved on from a QB without a plan as to how to move forward with adding offensive weapons and getting an upgrade at the QB position. It looks as though a decision was made without a plan for the most important position in the sport. I get Wentz wasn’t the answer but at some point you have to have a real plan. There have also been a few other contracts that have been signed by receivers and tight ends that were reasonable.

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There in lies the problem. They moved on from a QB without a plan as to how to move forward with adding offensive weapons and getting an upgrade at the QB position. It looks as though a decision was made without a plan for the most important position in the sport. I get Wentz wasn’t the answer but at some point you have to have a real plan. There have also been a few other contracts that have been signed by receivers and tight ends that were reasonable.

That's what I was asking.. which ones did you think were reasonable? 

I am getting fed up with Ballard and his lack of urgency with this roster. He had the most cap space in the NFL and had only made one significant move in getting a DE through a trade. We still need a QB, LT, TE, WR, and safety.  We signed a marginal CB and resigned 4 of our own free agents which were only rotation players.  The list if top free agents are dwindling band we will be stuck with left overs.

• Haha 1

You remind me of someone who worked for Bleacher report:

The Indianapolis Colts' selection of South Carolina State linebacker Darius Leonard with the fourth pick in the second round was one of the draft's worst moves. They took four second-rounders, so they had plenty of room for error, but this one stands out as a head-scratcher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not only did they have to trade Wentz per most of your requests because Kurt Warner watched one game and said he struggled.... 

Ballard has to trade for Wentz replacement within an accelerated time table because we have the societal patience of an infant. 

It gets old reading. 

Again..  if you wanted to go the "trade Wentz route" then you need to chill out about the time its taking to find a replacement. 

Baker wasn't even thought of as an option until TH. 44 million without a QB and LT really isn't that much money.  

• Like 1

Per PFR:

We recently learned that Mayfield would prefer to be traded to the Colts. Cabot suggests that, if Indianapolis GM Chris Ballard is interested, he may require the Browns to pay at least some of Mayfield’s $18.9MM salary, and since Cleveland has no choice but to deal Mayfield at this point, the team’s leverage in that regard and in terms of trade compensation is fairly limited.

Both Cabot and Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times confirm that the Seahawks may be interested in Mayfield but are genuinely excited by Drew Lock, who recently came to Seattle in the trade that sent Russell Wilson to the Broncos. As for the Texans, Caserio was non-committal when asked if Davis Mills, who started 11 games as a rookie in 2021 and who showed marked improvement down the stretch, would remain Houston’s QB1. Nonetheless, Mills is expected to open the 2022 campaign as the starting signal-caller, despite Caserio’s comments that the team is “starting from scratch” at the most important position in sports.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Not only did they have to trade Wentz per most of your requests because Kurt Warner watched one game and said he struggled.... 

Ballard has to trade for Wentz replacement within an accelerated time table because we have the societal patience of an infant. 

It gets old reading. 

Again..  if you wanted to go the "trade Wentz route" then you need to chill out about the time its taking to find a replacement. 

Baker wasn't even thought of as an option until TH. 44 million without a QB and LT really isn't that much money.  

I am more worried that they have no moves to bring a number 1 WR.

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am more worried that they have no moves to bring a number 1 WR.

I'm worried about playmakers too. Is there a #1 available as a FA? 

I don't believe so. Haven't in depth checked that though. The FA that made it to WR weren't nearly as impressive as we orginally thought. 

Cooper, Godwin, Gallup, Robinson didn't even make it to FA. 

I definitely wanted one of the TEs that were available. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I'm worried about playmakers too. Is there a #1 available as a FA? 

I don't believe so. Haven't in depth checked that though. The FA that made it to WR weren't nearly as impressive as we orginally thought. 

Cooper, Godwin, Gallup, Robinson didn't even make it to FA. 

I definitely wanted one of the TEs that were available. 

I agree but all of those guys are better than everyone not named Pittman. They gotta make some moves soon

I don't buy that Seattle likes Drew Lock as their guy for the long term.  I have never liked him as a franchise QB going back to Missouri.  He is a big, strong kid with a strong arm but seems to have a terrible feel.  Earlier in his Missouri career, he was mentioned as a high draft pick because of his prototype size and arm but I didn't buy it.  I think he can play in the league, but I wouldn't hitch my fortunes to him.  Chad Henne has been in the league for like a dozen years or more.  So, he can stay in the league a long time.

Somebody is going to want Malik Willis from Liberty in the draft.  Poker faces out there, but somebody is going to take him.  Maybe Seattle.  From what Hugh Freeze has said, Willis has no idea how to read anything because what he saw at Liberty was very rudimentary.  But there is a skill set there.

Edited by BobSaccamanno

24 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don't buy that Seattle likes Drew Lock as their guy for the long term.  I have never liked him as a franchise QB going back to Missouri.  He is a big, strong kid with a strong arm but seems to have a terrible feel.  Earlier in his Missouri career, he was mentioned as a high draft pick because of his prototype size and arm but I didn't buy it.  I think he can play in the league, but I wouldn't hitch my fortunes to him.  Chad Henne has been in the league for like a dozen years or more.  So, he can stay in the league a long time.

Somebody is going to want Malik Willis from Liberty in the draft.  Poker faces out there, but somebody is going to take him.  Maybe Seattle.  From what Hugh Freeze has said, Willis has no idea how to read anything because what he saw at Liberty was very rudimentary.  But there is a skill set there.

Getting Mayfield isn't going to solve Seattle's woes.  I surmise it will add to them if/when they give up the capital they have accrued from Denver.