2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Question for the people who follow analytics. Today on ESPN their analytics guy talking about the Bears OL. Fields has been sacked the most and been pressured the most but they tank the Bears OL as the 10th best pass blocking team.  How the hell can that be if they lead the league in the two most important things when it comes to pass protection.  Things like this is why I don't take analytics seriously and think they put things in their formula that doesn't matter.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Question for the people who follow analytics. Today on ESPN their analytics guy talking about the Bears OL. Fields has been sacked the most and been pressured the most but they tank the Bears OL as the 10th best pass blocking team.  How the hell can that be if they lead the league in the two most important things when it comes to pass protection.  Things like this is why I don't take analytics seriously and think they put things in their formula that doesn't matter.

How much time, on average, is the OL giving Fields?  It could be that the OL is doing their job but Fields isn't doing his.  Hanging on to the ball too long etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rico said:

How much time, on average, is the OL giving Fields?  It could be that the OL is doing their job but Fields isn't doing his.  Hanging on to the ball too long etc.

They had Tom Waddle from 1000am in Chicago on today and he said that Fields is not getting much time to throw. He out some the blame on Fields but said the OL is terrible.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They had Tom Waddle from 1000am in Chicago on today and he said that Fields is not getting much time to throw. He out some the blame on Fields but said the OL is terrible.

Well Waddle should know.  TBH, some of these stats they come up with these days are very speculative/questionable.  But the Talking Heads sure grab ahold of them.

39 minutes ago, rico said:

Well Waddle should know.  TBH, some of these stats they come up with these days are very speculative/questionable.  But the Talking Heads sure grab ahold of them.

What goes into the stats are what these analytic people think is important but not necessarily what is really important. Take the Colts, JMV had a analytics guy on his show today.  I didn't need a bunch of stats to show me that the Colts offense suck. All I need to know is that they are averaging 14 points a game which is last.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What goes into the stats are what these analytic people think is important but not necessarily what is really important. Take the Colts, JMV had a analytics guy on his show today.  I didn't need a bunch of stats to show me that the Colts offense suck. All I need to know is that they are averaging 14 points a game which is last.

The 14 points are an indicator that the offense sucks, but the analytics help tell you WHY the offense sucks.  You need to understand the WHY to fix the problem.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The 14 points are an indicator that the offense sucks, but the analytics help tell you WHY the offense sucks.  You need to understand the WHY to fix the problem.  

So WHAT do the analytics show as to WHY Ryan fumbles so much?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I just don't understand how you really can grade out a OL and give them stats. Without those stats I can tell you we can't move the ball or score well is OL play and turnovers 

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Can't speak for my fellow Bears brethren but Mustipher sucked on Sunday. That reason and our obvious lack of talent on the outside can't let me judge Fields for another year.

Hurts made the leap with talent. Tua made the leap with talent. Shoot Josh Allen had worse numbers than Fields in year 2 before the talent arrived. 

No objective fan can judge Fields yet. The NFL is so good at all positions. Unfair to criticize so far. 

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That's gives us a few more built in excuses to justify the ineptness of this regime. 

The problem is that the can point they are still contention for the worst division in football. I say it will have to turn really bad and be le 1-6-1 record and losing to Wentz at home for Irsay to grow a pair and fire them. I don't see Ballard being fired during the season but I can see Reich getting the ax. I say the next scapegoat will be the OL coach.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The problem is that the can point they are still contention for the worst division in football. I say it will have to turn really bad and be le 1-6-1 record and losing to Wentz at home for Irsay to grow a pair and fire them. I don't see Ballard being fired during the season but I can see Reich getting the ax. I say the next scapegoat will be the OL coach.

There are so boring, there is no fire no sense of urgency and just flat out boring to watch. Scoring 14 a game against the comp they have played is so sad. You know it's bad when the only other team you keep mentioned with in regards to stats are the Bears

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

There are so boring, there is no fire no sense of urgency and just flat out boring to watch. Scoring 14 a game against the comp they have played is so sad. You know it's bad when the only other team you keep mentioned with in regards to stats are the Bears

Offense is so predictable 

51 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Matt Nagy is available.