Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Guess what Rick Barnes did his first two seasons at Tennessee?

15-19 (6-12)

16-16 (8-10)

😀

So does that mean we are going 26-9 next year with a B1G title?  And then in year 4, be ranked #1?

How about Barnes first two seasons at Texas?

How about Barnes first two seasons at Clemson?

How about Barnes first two seasons at Providence?

How about Barnes only season at George Mason?

3 minutes ago, rico said:

So does that mean we are going 26-9 next year with a B1G title?  And then in year 4, be ranked #1?

How about Barnes first two seasons at Texas?

How about Barnes first two seasons at Clemson?

How about Barnes first two seasons at Providence?

How about Barnes only season at George Mason?

Ok, well:

Providence: 35-23, solid though not great considering he took over for Pitino who had Providence in a good spot. First round both years

Clemson: 33-24, decent, NIT first year, NCAA second

Texas: 43-22, pretty solid made the NCAA each year

Not too bad, though as with everything and all of these examples context matters. In Providence he took over a program who's coach left because he was doing so well, that's a lot different than taking over for a coach who got fired for poor results. I don't know the context in which he took over Clemson and Texas. We all know that Archie took over a program who's recruiting had fallen off, that made the NIT the year before, and lost the best three players on the roster. 

Let's also keep in mind that while we're all playing the 'doom and gloom' game right now, there's still a solid chance IU makes the NCAA Tournament in Archie's second year. As of today's updated NET Rankings, IU has 4 Qaud 1 wins and zero losses outside of Quad 1. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Ok, well:

Providence: 35-23, solid though not great considering he took over for Pitino who had Providence in a good spot. First round both years

Clemson: 33-24, decent, NIT first year, NCAA second

Texas: 43-22, pretty solid made the NCAA each year

Not too bad, though as with everything and all of these examples context matters. In Providence he took over a program who's coach left because he was doing so well, that's a lot different than taking over for a coach who got fired for poor results. I don't know the context in which he took over Clemson and Texas. We all know that Archie took over a program who's recruiting had fallen off, that made the NIT the year before, and lost the best three players on the roster. 

Let's also keep in mind that while we're all playing the 'doom and gloom' game right now, there's still a solid chance IU makes the NCAA Tournament in Archie's second year. As of today's updated NET Rankings, IU has 4 Qaud 1 wins and zero losses outside of Quad 1. 

Didn't need to them, was already aware of Rick's success.  I follow Tennessee closely.  Context?  K takes over a program that had huge success before he got there but yet everybody talks about his first 3 years.  Now you use the Pitino at Providence thing for Barnes' success there?

But I agree, the season is not over for the Hoosiers and I love Archie.  Doesn't mean I can't be critical of him.

24 minutes ago, rico said:

Didn't need to them, was already aware of Rick's success.  I follow Tennessee closely.  Context?  K takes over a program that had huge success before he got there but yet everybody talks about his first 3 years.  Now you use the Pitino at Providence thing for Barnes' success there?

But I agree, the season is not over for the Hoosiers and I love Archie.  Doesn't mean I can't be critical of him.

I guess you shouldn't have asked if you already knew. 

I never said a thing about not being critical of Archie. My recent post in the NW thread was an exchange with Billingsley on things that could be done better offensively. 

Yes, context. It matters quite a bit when having discussions. Taking over a team that is coming off a Final Four appearance is very different than taking over a team that lost in the first round of the NIT and the coach was being criticized for poor recruiting. I was actually saying Barnes should have done better.  

54 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I guess you shouldn't have asked if you already knew. 

I never said a thing about not being critical of Archie. My recent post in the NW thread was an exchange with Billingsley on things that could be done better offensively. 

Yes, context. It matters quite a bit when having discussions. Taking over a team that is coming off a Final Four appearance is very different than taking over a team that lost in the first round of the NIT and the coach was being criticized for poor recruiting. I was actually saying Barnes should have done better.  

I asked to make you look it up.  Barnes is a great coach, but you pick his first two years at Rocky Top to try to make your point.  Leaving every thing else he had done/accomplished out.  It fit your argument, whereas George Mason, Providence, Clemson, and Texas fit mine.

46 minutes ago, rico said:

I asked to make you look it up.  Barnes is a great coach, but you pick his first two years at Rocky Top to try to make your point.  Leaving every thing else he had done/accomplished out.  It fit your argument, whereas George Mason, Providence, Clemson, and Texas fit mine.

Next time just post the point you're trying to make.

I didn't post only his Tennessee years because it fit my argument, it's all I looked up at the time. I don't know that the others fit your argument, I'd say it's a mixed bag. Do you know how many years it took Barnes to have a 20 win season at Providence?

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Next time just post the point you're trying to make.

I didn't post only his Tennessee years because it fit my argument, it's all I looked up at the time. I don't know that the others fit your argument, I'd say it's a mixed bag. Do you know how many years it took Barnes to have a 20 win season at Providence?

Do you know the mess that Barnes took over in Tennessee?

5 hours ago, rico said:

Yes Rico, context means everything.  I’m not sure what you’re point is about K, and I’m pretty sure you just made everyone’s point.  Duke did have huge success before K, but when he took over he didn’t start off well at all comparatively.  

One thing that I think about when you bring up other coaches who did have decent success starting off, is how their style of play compared to the previous head coach.  If the previous coach ran a similar style, you’re more apt to hit the ground running.  In the case of our current situation, I don’t think you could have two diametrically opposed styles than what we played under Crean to what we play now (except maybe a zone defense).  That transition, plus the current roster (injuries, square pegs/round holes, lack of shooters, chemistry issues?) is a recipe for disaster.

11 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Yes Rico, context means everything.  I’m not sure what you’re point is about K, and I’m pretty sure you just made everyone’s point.  Duke did have huge success before K, but when he took over he didn’t start off well at all comparatively.  

One thing that I think about when you bring up other coaches who did have decent success starting off, is how their style of play compared to the previous head coach.  If the previous coach ran a similar style, you’re more apt to hit the ground running.  In the case of our current situation, I don’t think you could have two diametrically opposed styles than what we played under Crean to what we play now (except maybe a zone defense).  That transition, plus the current roster (injuries, square pegs/round holes, lack of shooters, chemistry issues?) is a recipe for disaster.

Sooo Bob Knight comes to IU and picked right up where the former coach left off?  He implemented a totally different system.  

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Sooo Bob Knight comes to IU and picked right up where the former coach left off?  He implemented a totally different system.  

No I didn’t say that.  There’s examples for each argument, but I’d venture to guess that more coaches struggle than don’t.  

Just now, StLHoosier said:

No I didn’t say that.  There’s examples for each argument, but I’d venture to guess that more coaches struggle than don’t.  

Venturing to guess?  Knight came in and bam.  Davis took over for Knight and bam.  Sampson took over for Davis and bam.  Barnes is on his 5th school now, and every one is bam.  I get it....Archie needs time.  I understand.  But I am just stating that a helluva lot of coaches have went to a new gig and had success within 2 years.  No more...no less.  

Archived