Around the B1G/NCAA

42 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Lost Hummel twice in two separate years. You guys have had some big injuries over the years too. 

Glenn Robinson was another big one too. Got injured before the Duke game and wasnt the same. 

A couple of "Region Rats", I might add.  One from Valpo, and another from Gary.  As the number of Gary schools continue to diminish, it will be harder for PU to poach talent out of the Steel City. However, the pipeline out of Valpo continues with Brandon Newman committing to Purdue.  I watched Brandon on a live stream the other night.  You guys got another good one coming your way, out of "The Region", I am sorry to say.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Now we are arguing if Purdue returned a more experienced roster than iu?  Didn't they graduate 4 senior starters?  

We're losing our stuff.  

I don’t think anyone is saying Purdue is more or less experienced than IU.  Just that to call Purdue inexperienced is crazy.  4-5 guys that played meaningful minutes and in the tourney is an experienced team to me.  4 year starting players are rare anymore at big time schools.  

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I don’t think anyone is saying Purdue is more or less experienced than IU.  Just that to call Purdue inexperienced is crazy.  4-5 guys that played meaningful minutes and in the tourney is an experienced team to me.  4 year starting players are rare anymore at big time schools.  

Purdue was called a “veteran” team which was what the argument was over. Two upperclassmen start who played significant minutes last year (Eifert didn’t play much last year). The main rotation is as follows:

2 seniors including one walk-on

1 junior

2 sophomores 

4 freshmen

Maybe “inexperienced” isn’t the correct term but I don’t think “veteran” is either. 

11 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Purdue isn’t a veteran team?? What?? Edwards, Cline, Haarms, Eastern, And even to an extent Eifert all have experience.  If you have juniors in this day and age you have experience. Purdue is good and experience is part of the reason why.

Edit: I forgot Bourdeux or however you spell it.  That’s 6 guys that have played in the tourney.

Don't try to argue with him. He just doesn't see it. 

8 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Thanks. That's all I was trying to say. Yes somehow...the one comment I made took the Purdue fan who rushes to an IU board 5 minutes after their game and the thread goes crazy. What ticks me off a bit more is how quickly some of our IU fans jump into to defend him. Getting tired of that act as well. 

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I'm so old that I recall when Freshmen were not allowed to play varsity ball in college.  And I do agree with you with the early defections to the NBA, that frosh and soph's who reach the midway point of the season become vets. Only because of the culture today.  Kids are better athletes.  And not only do some move on early... but they are just better. Again... I am so old that there once was a real thing....known as the "Sophomore Slump."  And fans understood that and waited for the next season.  It's just a different world today.  And being a long time fan of college basketball.... I am not sure I am a fan of it.  Always loved watching players evolve over four years... not just one or two. 

It was funny I was watching the 81 championship game the other day.  At the end of the game the broadcasters (Enberg, Packer, McGuire) was talking about how each team will have most of the players back next year.  They just said it matter of factly  because kids did not leave early back then.  The only one they were wrong on was IT and Landon getting injured.  UNC had Worthy a sophomore who in today's world would have not been there for his sophomore year and they had a freshman in Perkins who wouldn't have came back if they played today.

22 minutes ago, KDB said:

Marquette is #10 in this week's AP Poll -- Louisville up to #15.

Both those games seem like a lifetime ago. Both home games. Two nice wins to put on our resume if we could just hold our own in the B1G. That said it’s more likely that will be bad losses for those teams than good wins for us come tournament time. Hard to see this team as anything more than a NIT team right now honestly.

Texas with a nice win last night. That should keep the anti Shaka crowd quiet for about 10 minutes. Kansas loses 3rd time in 4 games. Looks like Nebraska is a shell of themselves after Copeland went down. 2nd leading scorer on team and boom. Season is headed straight downhill. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Watching some of the early game last night had me wondering what has happened to scoring this year.  Of the 4 games only won team Maryland(31) had over 30 points at half.

No data to back this up. Seems to me shooting overall is down. Maybe someone can come along either correct me or let me know....but somewhere along the way it seems coaches put far more emphasis on attacking the rim or getting to the rim. I can only think of maybe a handful of teams with multiple legit good shooters.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

No data to back this up. Seems to me shooting overall is down. Maybe someone can come along either correct me or let me know....but somewhere along the way it seems coaches put far more emphasis on attacking the rim or getting to the rim. I can only think of maybe a handful of teams with multiple legit good shooters.

I no people complain when I talk about the old days but having watched some most of our 81 tournament run you can just see the difference in the flow of an offense.  Back then there were very little dribbling in the half court unlike today when the majority of offense run the dribble drive.  You don't see the ball move by the pass today and to me it is harder to guard when the ball is moving quickly by the pass.  You also don't see any off the ball screens and it is all on the ball screens.  To me this brings to many defensive players around the ball causing the offense get clogged up.  Also with the sot clock being 30 seconds you see to many possessions going down to the shot clock about to run out causing more forced shots.  Back in the day even before the shot clock you saw teams taking better and more open shots because they never had to take quick shots if they did not want to.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I no people complain when I talk about the old days but having watched some most of our 81 tournament run you can just see the difference in the flow of an offense.  Back then there were very little dribbling in the half court unlike today when the majority of offense run the dribble drive.  You don't see the ball move by the pass today and to me it is harder to guard when the ball is moving quickly by the pass.  You also don't see any off the ball screens and it is all on the ball screens.  To me this brings to many defensive players around the ball causing the offense get clogged up.  Also with the sot clock being 30 seconds you see to many possessions going down to the shot clock about to run out causing more forced shots.  Back in the day even before the shot clock you saw teams taking better and more open shots because they never had to take quick shots if they did not want to.

I agree I hate that there is no off ball screens and guys stand around and watch guys go one on one and run pick n roll because that is what happens in the NBA but in college there are fewer athletes that can take advantage of a defense the same way as the elite pros do. I also hate the weave we run too but that’s another story. I just feel like it’s wasting shot clock and there isn’t enough screening off the ball but then I remember who cares if someone gets open...we can’t hit a jumper so setting screens would be pointless off the ball...it’s all about getting downhill to the rim for us...but there is no room to drive with the defenses sagging off. Anyways I agree...would love more movement and teams that do are fun to watch...even NBA with like how Klay Thompson runs off screens etc just miss watching kids come off a a double screen or a fade screen and nail a jumper or a back screeen to free up a big for an easy bucket in the lane.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I set out to see if what you always say actually had merit. 

I have a question for you and anyone else that cares to answer.  

What decade are you most specifically talking about when you "talk about the old days."   

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I agree I hate that there is no off ball screens and guys stand around and watch guys go one on one and run pick n roll because that is what happens in the NBA but in college there are fewer athletes that can take advantage of a defense the same way as the elite pros do. I also hate the weave we run too but that’s another story. I just feel like it’s wasting shot clock and there isn’t enough screening off the ball but then I remember who cares if someone gets open...we can’t hit a jumper so setting screens would be pointless off the ball...it’s all about getting downhill to the rim for us...but there is no room to drive with the defenses sagging off. Anyways I agree...would love more movement and teams that do are fun to watch...even NBA with like how Klay Thompson runs off screens etc just miss watching kids come off a a double screen or a fade screen and nail a jumper or a back screeen to free up a big for an easy bucket in the lane.

I've tried to convince Scott till I'm blue in the face, that outside of Curry's brash cockiness(used to root for him), KD(he lost my respect and has only dug his hole deeper, used to be one of my favs), and DongPic(biggest idiot in the NBA), the Warriors play potentially the prettiest basketball ever played.  Personalities aside, they move with and without the ball like possibly nothing we have ever seen.  It obviously helps having 3 of the greatest shooters ever, a power forward that shoots respectable, and now a center that will destroy you down low to open of the offense and spread the floor, but they still run the three shooters off of screens.  Why?  Because it gets them open.   

15 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

What decade are you most specifically talking about when you "talk about the old days."   

To me college basketball was at its best from 1981-1995

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have no idea how old you are so I am not saying that if you go back and watch those games from that tourney run you would enjoy it like I do.  It wasn't like we held the ball for a couple of minutes at a time either because on most possessions we took a shot within the first 20-25 seconds of having the ball.  Sometimes IT would run the break and pull up for a good 15 foot shot from around the free throw line.  what I see today is that by the time you get the ball up the court you really have 20 seconds to get a shot and everything just seems to be rushed today.  A guy gets the ball on the wing and his first instinct is to put his head down and drive to the basket.  Back then you would catch it and you took a couple of seconds to see if anyone was coming off of a screen and who was open.  You might take one dribble then pass it back to the top and then cut and go set a screen.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me college basketball was at its best from 1981-1995

Interestingly, all but 7 of the top 29 all time field goal percentage shooting teams were in that era.

Every single team in the top 26 3 point field goal percentage all came in that era. 

A lot of the top scoring teams ever were in there too.  

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/2019/D1.pdf

starting on page 53.  

stats.docx

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Interestingly, all but 7 of the top 29 all time field goal percentage shooting teams were in that era.

Every single team in the top 26 3 point field goal percentage all came in that era. 

starting on page 53.  

stats.docx

Sounds like you guys are on to something.  One thing for certain, teams like Wisconsin actually had to play defense without fouling in that era and IU was masterful at drawing fouls.  Usually, they had more MADE free throws than the other team had ATTEMPTS.

I'm on the record multiple times, but way too much fouling is tolerated.  As far as I am concerned, if the defender is moving and initiates touching a player and the offensive player's motion or shot is changed, a foul should be called.  I absolutely hate how physical defenders are allowed to be in today's game and despite an emphasis to reduce this, I don't see a meaningful effect.  

In the era Scott misses, basketball was a lot prettier to watch.

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

starting on page 53.  

stats.docx

I think one of the problems is the game is a lot younger today than it was back then.  You did not have to play freshman right away if they were not good enough and players were more patient.  I think coaches think they have to micro manage every possession and don't let the players just go out and play.  I hate when we are going down the court and our PG looks over to the side line for a play because I feel they should learn this in practice.  Again I go back to having the shot clock at 30 seconds as the worst thing to happen to the college game.  Today they want the college game be like the NBA and I for one is not in favor of this.  With a 30 second shot clock it eliminates the diversity a team can have on offense and everyone has to run the same kind of offense.  I am not in favor of eliminating the shot clock all together but it was at its best at 45 seconds because I did not enjoy the 4 corner offense of UNC for the last 5 minutes of the game.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Sounds like you guys are on to something.  One thing for certain, teams like Wisconsin actually had to play defense without fouling in that era and IU was masterful at drawing fouls.  Usually, they had more MADE free throws than the other team had ATTEMPTS.

I'm on the record multiple times, but way too much fouling is tolerated.  As far as I am concerned, if the defender is moving and initiates touching a player and the offensive player's motion or shot is changed, a foul should be called.  I absolutely hate how physical defenders are allowed to be in today's game and despite an emphasis to reduce this, I don't see a meaningful effect.  

In the era Scott misses, basketball was a lot prettier to watch.

Here's a funny thing.  Tom Crean was talking to Dakich last spring, either right before he got the Georgia job or right after, and he was talking about how he was going back and watching all kinds of basketball from multiple generations and studying.   

What does he do when he gets back in the game?  

Play exactly the way he always has, faster.  

Archived