The H🔥T Seat

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My issue with the whole theory about the administration stepping on Archies toes is this. If that was happening why wouldn't someone leak that information to the press? That's the kind of information that would lead those in charge to change things or eventually step down because that would lead to criticism from media and people all over the country. IF that was happening it would get out. Unless Archie and everyone else is so scared of the administration which means they don't have any self respect for themselves as a coach. 

59 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

My issue with the whole theory about the administration stepping on Archies toes is this. If that was happening why wouldn't someone leak that information to the press? That's the kind of information that would lead those in charge to change things or eventually step down because that would lead to criticism from media and people all over the country. IF that was happening it would get out. Unless Archie and everyone else is so scared of the administration which means they don't have any self respect for themselves as a coach. 

The voice of Indiana basketball has said something on the only local focused sports radio station in the biggest city in the state 2 times in the past 2 weeks.

I guess the question is what is the administration doing that is handcuffing Archie.  Is it not letting Archie kick a player or two off the team.  Wasn't there a rumor a month or so ago about Archie saying  that a couple of players could be let out of their scholarship's.  I don't see anyway that the AD is telling him who to play and how much to play anyone.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess the question is what is the administration doing that is handcuffing Archie.  Is it not letting Archie kick a player or two off the team.  Wasn't there a rumor a month or so ago about Archie saying  that a couple of players could be let out of their scholarship's.  I don't see anyway that the AD is telling him who to play and how much to play anyone.

The rumor to which you refer is (I think) in reference to Coach (supposedly) reading the riot act to the team after the Northwestern game.

23 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The voice of Indiana basketball has said something on the only local focused sports radio station in the biggest city in the state 2 times in the past 2 weeks.

That doesn't count and he hasn't gone into detail. I'm talking full leaked story of what's going on. Fisch has complained on Dakich's show about the Bill of Rights many times since it was put in place. 

I keep having this image in my head... Archie in the passenger seat of a car driven by “the administration” looking out at another car to his right and mouthing the words “Help Me!”  

This whole thing is so strange, but I just can’t believe if things were so bad (i.e. telling who can/can’t play and how much) that CAM would stand for it. Either say something or quit. No self respecting coach, especially one as stubborn as CAM seems to be, would stand for something like this. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Don't think so...

Screenshot_20200211-083205~2.png

So this is his opinion?  If is was stated as fact there wouldn't be the use of the word or.  Cancer or 2.  I think he is like us,  wondering what the hell is going on?   Surely there is a cancer or 2.

So that leads to...is it a cancer on the team or is it the administration? :panic:

26 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

I keep having this image in my head... Archie in the passenger seat of a car driven by “the administration” looking out at another car to his right and mouthing the words “Help Me!”  

This whole thing is so strange, but I just can’t believe if things were so bad (i.e. telling who can/can’t play and how much) that CAM would stand for it. Either say something or quit. No self respecting coach, especially one as stubborn as CAM seems to be, would stand for something like this. 

He’s not giving up the money he’s making but quitting.  I agree it doesn’t even sound believable and I didn’t believe it until yesterday.

22 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So this is his opinion?  If is was stated as fact there wouldn't be the use of the word or.  Cancer or 2.  I think he is like us,  wondering what the hell is going on?   Surely there is a cancer or 2.

So that leads to...is it a cancer on the team or is it the administration? :panic:

I'm sure it's an informed opinion...I'd wager that a former IU player has as good if not better inside information about the team than most of us do...

58 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

He’s not giving up the money he’s making but quitting.  I agree it doesn’t even sound believable and I didn’t believe it until yesterday.

I get that, but man, at some point it’s just got to be so frustrating and you’d almost rather get the truth out and lose the money but keep your sanity. Easier said than done, I realize. I also heard the Fish interview and it’s the first time I’ve really started considering there’s a very real problem happening at the very top. So maddening for all IUBB fans. 

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Then someone should leak that to the media if that's really going on and the administration would become a laughing stock.

I don't get how an AD would have any leverage to tell a coach who to play or if they can bench kids. If Glass did say it, Archie could just say no.  What are they going to do, fire him, pay his buyout, and let him spread word that he was let go because the AD told him who he should play and he didn't play ball?  That might as well be the death penalty for a program.  The administration has no leverage in a situation like what is being talked about.

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Then someone should leak that to the media if that's really going on and the administration would become a laughing stock.

Once upon a time the media would have already been digging into this theory but with large number of staff cuts in the media it's become more reactive rather than proactive.  And I'm in no way trying to take a swipe at any members employed in the industry.  

1 minute ago, IU4Ever said:

Once upon a time the media would have already been digging into this theory but with large number of staff cuts in the media it's become more reactive rather than proactive.  And I'm in no way trying to take a swipe at any members employed in the industry.  

The thing is though there are plenty of writers that would love a story about an administration that is forcing the staff to keep players, pushing them to play certain players, or have to talk nice to them all the time. Just to name a few topics. It would make the department heads look ridiculous around the country. 

I say this because I know of a high school that had an administration that forced a coach to keep certain players among other things similar to these rumors. The high school coach left after 1 year and moved on because he had to much self respect. The school then became a laughing stock and within a year the most of the administration was removed. 

37 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

I get that, but man, at some point it’s just got to be so frustrating and you’d almost rather get the truth out and lose the money but keep your sanity. Easier said than done, I realize. I also heard the Fish interview and it’s the first time I’ve really started considering there’s a very real problem happening at the very top. So maddening for all IUBB fans. 

Agree, it's frustrating.  This is something we have discussed on this board for some time.  

IU absolutely is a school of higher learning, and things like education and research are the central focus of the school.  Nobody could ever deny that.  We should never think of ourselves as a sports team with academics on the side like the Louisvilles.  But, when it comes to the administration, their mentality fails to grasp that you can walk and chew gum at the same time.  You can work on all of your educational and research initiatives while also committing to excellence in athletics.

We have had an ineffectual AD.  He has not effectively advocated for athletics to the Board of Trustees (BOT).  Money from the B1G Network gets siphoned off.  It is the AD's job, though, to come to Board meetings and articulately persuade the BOT that athletics money staying in athletics is an investment that will pay dividends.  Provide the BOT with data on how success in sports leads to more applications from potential students, which will ultimately generate tuition revenue.  When I was a student, we were in our heyday.  I wouldn't say many students came directly just because of basketball, but kids did come, particularly from out of state with money, after basketball drew their attention and then they noticed some program or our campus or whatever.  In addition, alumni get engaged with the school, which can generate an uptick in donations.  Our AD had not been effective in making the case.  If we siphoned off money to fund some vanity project of the President, the BOT should be persuadable that shouldn't be done at the expense of excellence in athletics.

At the end of the day, IU as a state school is competing with many other schools.  Look at what Purdue does with their B1G money.  Wisconsin, MSU, Michigan.  These schools have more money to play with due to football revenue yet still recognize what investment in athletics does for the school at large.  When Kansas, another "basketball school," lost Larry Brown, they jumped on Roy Williams.  When Roy left, they landed Bill Self.  They aren't fooling around here.  When Self leaves, which could happen this offseason, they will land a very attractive candidate and will pay up for it.  They realize the importance of it to the school.  IU will be left in the dust by their proactiveness, which will really make IU's admin look inept.

It's not just the BOT.  McRobbie is the ivory tower guy who loves to churn bureaucracy.  Let's move this department from here to there for no good reason.  Let's just have layers and layers of administrators walking around. 

The arrogance of the BOT, McRobbie, and the other bureaucrats is to think they have it all figured out and everybody else is wrong, all while IU gets left behind.

1 hour ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 12.56.43 PM.png

All of the above.  And, I'm serious. 

The right group of players overcomes the issues from above (see 2011/2012 and 2001/2002 seasons)

The right coach gets the most out of the players he has, adapts to what he has, and does not play non-deserving players.

The right Admin does not put up unnecessary roadblocks.

30 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I say this because I know of a high school that had an administration that forced a coach to keep certain players among other things similar to these rumors. The high school coach left after 1 year and moved on because he had to much self respect. The school then became a laughing stock and within a year the most of the administration was removed. 

Completely different set of circumstances.  

1 hour ago, Zville Hoosier said:

I just listened too.  It sounds to me like me it is a national problem. And not just iu.  Dan asked him, "can't he just bench the problem guys?"  And the answer was yes.  Well he hasn't, unless Demezi is the problem.   Don't think our 11th man sophomore is the culture destroyer.  

I just think it's way too convenient that 2 years in a row when the wheels fall off its the admins fault and not the coach or players.  

Archived