The H🔥T Seat

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Completely different set of circumstances.  

If what's going on with IU's administration isn't common practice at other school's than it's really not. The point is they are leveraging their position of power over the coach which is a problem regardless of high school, college, or elementary school for that matter. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Isn't Buckner on the BOT? I would think with him on that he would make sure basketball would be prioritized.

Yes, but there are too many on there who don't have the right skill sets we should want on the BOT.  The traditional way is to work your way through organizations such as the Varsity Club.  Prior fundraising efforts are prioritized.  Pay your dues and you get your shot.  And I don't think they have term limits.

We need disruptive thinking, starting with how the trustees are selected.  Fundraising is important and can be handled through the Varsity Club, Foundation and other groups designed for that.  But, if we are being honest, this is kind of busywork.  The reward should not be a basis for a BOT.  That's how you end up with small town lawyers, physicians and realtors.  If you think about it, these are not really the qualifications you want for a trustee of a major organization like IU.  

We need folks who get there on merits.  People with demonstrated strategic thinking.  Not political folks who have done their time on fundraising.  Mark Cuban is an example of a strategic thinker.  You can't get him, but you can get folks like that.  If you look at Board of Directors of major companies, some are there because of nepotism or politics but you also see true experts in a field, really credentialed folks, etc.  

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I just listened too.  It sounds to me like me it is a national problem. And not just iu.  Dan asked him, "can't he just bench the problem guys?"  And the answer was yes.  Well he hasn't, unless Demezi is the problem.   Don't think our 11th man sophomore is the culture destroyer.  

I just think it's way too convenient that 2 years in a row when the wheels fall off its the admins fault and not the coach or players.  

I’m about as far from a conspiracy theorist as it gets but even I am honestly starting to believe guys like DG have some serious dirt on someone high up the food chain because at this point it’s the only reason I can logically come up with for him still getting as much PT as he is, or any for that matter. It’s either that or CAM just doesn’t see what the rest of us see, which is equally hard to fathom. 

34 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Provide the BOT with data on how success in sports leads to more applications from potential students, which will ultimately generate tuition revenue.  When I was a student, we were in our heyday.  I wouldn't say many students came directly just because of basketball, but kids did come, particularly from out of state with money, after basketball drew their attention and then they noticed some program or our campus or whatever.  In addition, alumni get engaged with the school, which can generate an uptick in donations. 

Case in point: Butler after its 2 National Championship runs in 2010 and 2011. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but applications rose significantly after that pr boost.

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I just think it's way too convenient that 2 years in a row when the wheels fall off its the admins fault and not the coach or players.  

Maybe it makes all the sense in the world. If you go back, the wheels have really fallen off in arguably 6 of the last 7 years. That's two different coaching staffs, the previous one even citing that he has issues with the administration, and a host of different players, several of them currently playing in the NBA. 

13-14: Lost 12 of their last 19

14-15: Lost 10 of their last 15

15-16: Outlier, won 7 of last 9

16-17: Lost 10 of their last 14

17-18: Lost 7 of their last 11 (did have a 4-game winning streak in that mix)

18-19: Lost 12 of 13 before winning 6 of their last 8

19-20: In progress, but has lost 4 in a row as well as 7 of their last 11

The only constant is all of that is the AD, President and BOT. 

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Maybe it makes all the sense in the world. If you go back, the wheels have really fallen off in arguably 6 of the last 7 years. That's two different coaching staffs, the previous one even citing that he has issues with the administration, and a host of different players, several of them currently playing in the NBA. 

During the Crean years, it was rumored that he wore his teams down and didn't know how to ease up on practice time down the stretch.

29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Well it was an awful decision to hire the current President back in 2007. Someone who doesn’t understand or care about the importance of the athletics side of a university should never be put into that position. That’s like me moving to Australia and running an Outback Steakhouse and not caring about or neglecting the Bloomin’ Onion. 

20 minutes ago, cybergates said:

During the Crean years, it was rumored that he wore his teams down and didn't know how to ease up on practice time down the stretch.

Yes, that was rumored. I am not suggesting that Crean or Archie are perfect or haven't made mistakes, I'm just saying this has been a recurring theme and the only constant is the administration. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yes, that was rumored. I am not suggesting that Crean or Archie are perfect or haven't made mistakes, I'm just saying this has been a recurring theme and the only constant is the administration. 

I always thought e RMK's last 6 years his teams looked spent by the end of the season

41 minutes ago, MPM said:

Well it was an awful decision to hire the current President back in 2007. Someone who doesn’t understand or care about the importance of the athletics side of a university should never be put into that position. That’s like me moving to Australia and running an Outback Steakhouse and not caring about or neglecting the Bloomin’ Onion. 

mmmm, blooming onions

44 minutes ago, MPM said:

Get your point, but most Aussie's wouldn't know what a Bloomin' Onion is. Mess up the vegemite, though, and you'll have a problem.

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

If what's going on with IU's administration isn't common practice at other school's than it's really not. The point is they are leveraging their position of power over the coach which is a problem regardless of high school, college, or elementary school for that matter. 

High School principles can do that and fire coaches without much pushback.  When you make 3.5 mil a year and have a 20mil a year buyout, the AD has very little power to tell you anything as long as you're not breaking and any rules or clauses in your contract.  And if he is letting them, he isn't the right coach to coach anywhere let alone Indiana

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You know, as mile has pointed out, CTC has never uttered a bad word about IU.  It was a Harbaugh.  

CTC blew up a good thing when his recruiting stalled.  And like you have been sayi g, whatever is going on with CAM has become mystifying.   Even if he was being held back in demonstrative behavior or being a disciplinarian, why would that hold back his xs and os?  Why would that hold him back from using the 2 schollies last year on grad transfers?   Did he really trust DG and Al to come through for him this year?  So far big mistake.  

I said weeks ago it seems like CAM is stuck between trying to be a players coach and a disciplinarian.   Can't be both.  And we can chalk up all team turmoil as rumors last year.  But how else can you explain the losing streak, the lack of passion, the lack of caring? Did the bot and admin come in the locker room and tell them all to quit playing hard and stop using good bb iq?

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

And the Big Ten

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I said weeks ago it seems like CAM is stuck between trying to be a players coach and a disciplinarian.   Can't be both.  

But this isn't his first rodeo.  Just can't fathom why he's seemingly become so soft (can't think of a better word).  He keeps giving us lip service but absolutely no actions to back it up.  And where's the pushback from his coaching staff to make changes?  There just has to be a much bigger underlying problem.

24 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

But this isn't his first rodeo.  Just can't fathom why he's seemingly become so soft (can't think of a better word).  He keeps giving us lip service but absolutely no actions to back it up.  And where's the pushback from his coaching staff to make changes?  There just has to be a much bigger underlying problem.

So the question was brought up, is CAM attempting to become a players coach now at IU in attempt to sway the bigger fish recruits?

3 hours ago, Zville Hoosier said:

I get that, but man, at some point it’s just got to be so frustrating and you’d almost rather get the truth out and lose the money but keep your sanity. Easier said than done, I realize. I also heard the Fish interview and it’s the first time I’ve really started considering there’s a very real problem happening at the very top. So maddening for all IUBB fans. 

I would put up with much more than that for a few million.  Put it in the bank and move to Rio.

2 hours ago, MrsStoller said:

Case in point: Butler after its 2 National Championship runs in 2010 and 2011. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but applications rose significantly after that pr boost.

It even has a name.  It's called the Flutie Effect.  This article says Butler's undergrad applications rose by 43% after those back to back runs.

https://www.si.com/college/2018/03/17/umbc-virginia-upset-doug-flutie-jairus-lyles

49 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

I, for one... think that his staff is a BIG part of the problem. What exactly do they do to improve and/or develop our players? 

4 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I, for one... think that his staff is a BIG part of the problem. What exactly do they do to improve and/or develop our players? 

Well Flint is in charge of our front court which has been good enough the last two years. Seems to me like he’s getting the job done. 

Ostrom is in charge of recruiting which he’s done a decent enough job on I think. 

The last spot occupied by two coaches I would assume has been tasked with our guards. 

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

You know, as mile has pointed out, CTC has never uttered a bad word about IU.  It was a Harbaugh.  

CTC blew up a good thing when his recruiting stalled.  And like you have been sayi g, whatever is going on with CAM has become mystifying.   Even if he was being held back in demonstrative behavior or being a disciplinarian, why would that hold back his xs and os?  Why would that hold him back from using the 2 schollies last year on grad transfers?   Did he really trust DG and Al to come through for him this year?  So far big mistake.  

I said weeks ago it seems like CAM is stuck between trying to be a players coach and a disciplinarian.   Can't be both.  And we can chalk up all team turmoil as rumors last year.  But how else can you explain the losing streak, the lack of passion, the lack of caring? Did the bot and admin come in the locker room and tell them all to quit playing hard and stop using good bb iq?

He didn’t take shots specifically at the admin or AD but if you read between the lines you could tell what he was saying.  He said something like it was nice to finally have full support. I can’t remember his exact quote or even where it was said but I remember hearing it.

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

He didn’t take shots specifically at the admin or AD but if you read between the lines you could tell what he was saying.  He said something like it was nice to finally have full support. I can’t remember his exact quote or even where it was said but I remember hearing it.

I get it but he clearly said when asked can CAM bench people and he said yes.  

Then why isn't he?

I think our beloved university is amuck in pc culture.  

Archived