Coronavirus

Reacher

The further adventures of the mile family during this pandemic.  As I reported earlier. Mrs. mile's driver license expired July 3. We went on line. To find out that the DMV just minutes from our house is closed.  And that we would have to apply for an appointment at a DMV, a half an hour drive from our home.  We could not get in before her license expired.  However, due to the pandemic, the DMV set an appointment for today.  July 9.

Mrs. mile was first in line, with the confirmation letter fast in hand.  Mrs. mile got in.  And had to wait for over an hour, to get her driver's license renewed..... because their computers were down.  Finally renewed.  Unable to give Mrs. mile a real license. Due to the computer failure. So they gave her a paper temp driver's license... saying to expect a real driver's license in the mail in the next 30 to 60 days.

Then.  Mrs. mile went to Costco.  To renew our annual membership.  Guess what ? Another hour delay.... because their computers were down.

Next. On to Penney's.  One employee in the entire store.  Behind a glass enclosure.  No other shoppers.

And that is a day in the life of the mile family. During a pandemic.

Stay safe Hoosier Sports Nation.

6 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Thanks for the insight. This is a great example of why we can’t simply point to a low death rate and say it’s going to be ‘alright’. Transmission alone (even without government mandated shutdowns) is going to continue to devastate this economy. It was only last week when United said that air travel is going to turn around, then this spike continues to get out of control and today they’re announcing that 36,000 employees are going to be furloughed.  

We may not completely be able to control R, but our actions can keep it down. If we keep it down, it makes it much easier for this economy to operate, it makes it easier for kids to go back to school, it makes it easier for sports to resume, it reduces the strain on hospitals and healthcare workers, etc., etc. But let’s throw that all out the window because the death rate is temporarily down, or masks takes away your freedom or are just too uncomfortable 😢 , or your ‘over’ precautions. We’re just digging ourselves into a deeper hole to climb out of. 

You can't completely throw away the low death either.  If we get to the point that this virus is not killing people, then you absolutely have to get things back to as close to 'normal' as possible.  The economy, schools, etc. don't shut down for the flu.  It kills people, maybe not in the quantity that Covid is right now, but if deaths drop to a flu-like level, why would we treat Covid any differently? 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You can't completely throw away the low death either.  If we get to the point that this virus is not killing people, then you absolutely have to get things back to as close to 'normal' as possible.  The economy, schools, etc. don't shut down for the flu.  It kills people, maybe not in the quantity that Covid is right now, but if deaths drop to a flu-like level, why would we treat Covid any differently? 

You shouldn't I would think.  And of the people dying of COVID what percent of them are old or very unhealthy?  Millions die in this country every year, right?  Of the people dying are these people those that likely didn't have much time left even if they never got COVID?

9 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

You shouldn't I would think.  And of the people dying of COVID what percent of them are old or very unhealthy?  Millions die in this country every year, right?  Of the people dying are these people those that likely didn't have much time left even if they never got COVID?

IL counts practically everyone as a COVID death 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Never said that...of course less death is good overall. But I get the impression that some (not you Fouls) use a temporarily low death count to justify them taking things less seriously right now. Or as evidence to loosen restrictions when the case count is rising. I'm saying we can't ONLY look at the death toll. (That said, the deaths have started to go up as expected and in a week or two this conversation will be moot.)

There are also other factors than just death. Namely hospitalizations, long lasting effects and economical impact. 

And because it spreads so quickly, it will run through a factory/warehouse/office space, forcing sick people to take work off (whether they die or not), diminish productivity and effect the supply chain. High case counts alone will affect the economy. 

Beyond this being more deadly than the flu, it hospitalizes more than the flu, it's more dangerous than the flu, it lasts longer than the flu and it spreads more quickly than the flu. So equating it to the flu (even if the death rate lowers) is comparing apples and oranges. Furthermore, hospitalis have taken the seasonal flu into account when determining their capacities, which typically run close to full. Hospitals did not factor in COVID to their capacity because it didn't exist before. It's like a game of Sink The Biz....the glass is the hospital, the beer in the glass (90% full) is the expected capacity and COVID is your drunk friend who can't control their pour. Even if deaths numbers drop we still are going to have to be careful for this very reason. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 8:09 AM, Reacher said:

COVIDJuly22020.PNG

Just saw this chart on John Hopkins, but another factor was added and it brought me back to this post. The number of positive tests (dark orange) is listed on this graph in correlation to total tests administered. I think it just give a better visual into how testing is influencing the overall case numbers. Testing more does play a slight factor in the increased case numbers, but not as much as some may think. The degree of change for tests administered far outweighs the degree of change for positive tests. 

link: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states/usa

Daily State-by-State Testing Trends - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center 2020-07-10 08-15-03.jpg

@tdhoosier

For me these graphs bring up the question of how many people are getting tested but have no symptoms?  People that are getting tested out of curiosity or worry.  I know when I got tested they asked for all the symptoms I had.  I cant imagine there are that many people out there that are sick with non covid right now.

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@tdhoosier

For me these graphs bring up the question of how many people are getting tested but have no symptoms?  People that are getting tested out of curiosity or worry.  I know when I got tested they asked for all the symptoms I had.  I cant imagine there are that many people out there that are sick with non covid right now.

This was the point I was trying to make a couple of pages back. I think because now we have the capabilities to, many are taking test to confirm negatives. Sure, there may be some hypochondriacs out there, but employers are testing to ensure safe return to work and hospitals are using them to confirm people don't have covid before having elective procedures. And based on the re-entry plan I received from the school yesterday, kids will need to test negative if they want to come back before 14 days after showing symptoms. 

All of this is good IMO. Every expert I've heard talk about this says more testing is good....even if the negatives are high. It's better to know than not to know. It seems like the next obstacle is getting results back quicker and finding a test that's easier to administer. I'm telling you, if I take my kid to get that swab jammed up their nose I'm not sure I'll get them to take another medical test again. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

^^^ I was dreading the test. But what I got was a cotton tipped swab up my nose. Made me wonder why different swabbing methods and the effectiveness of the one I got vs. being punched in the brain as I've heard it described.

I got one in the back of the throat? Then my wife went a week later because she was required to take a test and got jabbed in the brain.....said it was awful and her eye was hurting for a couple of hours after. I was watching a doctor on TV that said labs are working hard to produce an accurate test that only requires you to spit in a vile. Hope this comes sooner rather than later. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I got one in the back of the throat? Then my wife went a week later because she was required to take a test and got jabbed in the brain.....said it was awful and her eye was hurting for a couple of hours after. I was watching a doctor on TV that said labs are working hard to produce an accurate test that only requires you to spit in a vile. Hope this comes sooner rather than later. 

When I got my test it was up both nostrils and my throat and it was very uncomfortable.

Things are going nuts down here in E'ville as it pertains to the virus. There have been over 40 new cases reported in 1 day. Several restaurants have closed again due to employees having tested positive for the virus. A couple of weeks ago, there was maybe about 500 cases, now it's well over 600!

As Mile has stated, stay safe out there......

14 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Things are going nuts down here in E'ville as it pertains to the virus. There have been over 40 new cases reported in 1 day. Several restaurants have closed again due to employees having tested positive for the virus. A couple of weeks ago, there was maybe about 500 cases, now it's well over 600!

As Mile has stated, stay safe out there......

Never does a day go by that I  don't start the day out by saying a prayer for my fellow Hoosier Sports Nation members.  Even thought of changing or adding to my tag line. To stay safe HSN.

Vanderburgh County recent growth in COVID-19 cases is 43 percent of the total

Stay safe HSN.

Edited by milehiiu

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

https://www.coronavirus.in.gov/2393.htm

Yesterday saw 748 new confirmed cases reported in IN...the 4th highest single day number since pandemic began and the highest number since 5/5. Hospital census is beginning to go up as well.

Just saw on tv..... 21 states are rolling back easements.

Stay safe Hoosier Sports Nation.

Edited by milehiiu

I know it was impossible but if we could have just shut down the whole country for 6 weeks I think it would have slowed the virus way down.  I know the police and the medical fields have to be out so it is impossible for the whole country to shutdown but it would have been the best to try.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know it was impossible but if we could have just shut down the whole country for 6 weeks I think it would have slowed the virus way down.  I know the police and the medical fields have to be out so it is impossible for the whole country to shutdown but it would have been the best to try.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

39 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I hope this doesn't come across wrong....but we did that in back half of March, April. Most places didn't open up until Mid May. Or are  you saying complete shutdown. No movement, no grocery, no anything?

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I hope this doesn't come across wrong....but we did that in back half of March, April. Most places didn't open up until Mid May. Or are  you saying complete shutdown. No movement, no grocery, no anything?

Complete shut down