Coronavirus

Reacher

22 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Mile, that's just not true. I've been a subscriber to NYT for over a decade. They routinely cover the entire world, including the Midwest and the South. If anything they are light on local coverage for those of us who live in NYC. That's one of the frustrating things for us as NYT subscribers. We have to read Gothamist, or the NY Post to get local news - it's weird.

Just a quick search for the term "rural" gives me over a dozen articles in the last week from the NYT about how COVID-19 is affecting rural areas. Some really good articles too. The article about the funeral in GA was especially well done.

I'm an Indiana kid. Born in IN, raised in IN, graduated HS in IN, and also graduated from IU Bloomington. I know there's this sense that the east coast doesn't care about the rest of the country, but it's not the case in reality. Hell, many of us that live here are from the Midwest!

I'm not going to argue about the media on here though, b/c I know we can't do politics.

It's just sad that the number of actual people who are dying (these are real people with families) are starting to be used to score political points. We as a country failed to get a jump on this and we will be the country with the most cases and deaths when this is all over. This is disheartening to me as we have the resources for the opposite outcome.

Well one thing I will say. At least the NYT allows peons like me to read their website. Unlike the Indy Star.  I was able to read your link without immediately  getting blocked. Thanks for that.

I will stand on my statement. Not just the newspapers but also the East Coast media. Rarely report what is going on in the rest of the country.  Recently we have had some extra ordinary events happening in Colorado. Nothing. And have yet to hear about the recent tornadoes in Indiana reported by Mr. Flynn and others .

Not directed at you.  You already know you are on my most favored HSN member list.  Just not happy with the East Coast bias from the media.

32 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

We as a country failed to get a jump on this and we will be the country with the most cases and deaths when this is all over. This is disheartening to me as we have the resources for the opposite outcome.

On this point, while the U.S. may have the highest total number of deaths, we will not approach the deaths as a percentage of population that we are seeing in Europe.  Not even close.  Righ now, Spain's is close to 7 times that of the U.S., Italy 6 times, France 3 times, etc.

And then you factor in highly populated countries where the number of deaths being reported are most assuredly not accurate, like China and Russia, and it's unfair to compare the U.S. to them.

I'm not saying out response was what it should have been, but I think in the overall grand scheme of things, if you look beyond the raw numbers like number of cases and number of deaths, and I think the U.S. has done better than most other industrialized countries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

On this point, while the U.S. may have the highest total number of deaths, we will not approach the deaths as a percentage of population that we are seeing in Europe.  Not even close.  Righ now, Spain's is close to 7 times that of the U.S., Italy 6 times, France 3 times, etc.

And then you factor in highly populated countries where the number of deaths being reported are most assuredly not accurate, like China and Russia, and it's unfair to compare the U.S. to them.

I'm not saying out response was what it should have been, but I think in the overall grand scheme of things, if you look beyond the raw numbers like number of cases and number of deaths, and I think the U.S. has done better than most other industrialized countries.

You are right. That's an important point. It's also just impossibly to know here, b/c of our lack of testing. I'm actually kind of hoping that many more of us have had it or have it and not fallen sick. That would make our death rate much lower.

53 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Mile, that's just not true. I've been a subscriber to NYT for over a decade. They routinely cover the entire world, including the Midwest and the South. If anything they are light on local coverage for those of us who live in NYC. That's one of the frustrating things for us as NYT subscribers. We have to read Gothamist, or the NY Post to get local news - it's weird.

Just a quick search for the term "rural" gives me over a dozen articles in the last week from the NYT about how COVID-19 is affecting rural areas. Some really good articles too. The article about the funeral in GA was especially well done.

I'm an Indiana kid. Born in IN, raised in IN, graduated HS in IN, and also graduated from IU Bloomington. I know there's this sense that the east coast doesn't care about the rest of the country, but it's not the case in reality. Hell, many of us that live here are from the Midwest!

I'm not going to argue about the media on here though, b/c I know we can't do politics.

It's just sad that the number of actual people who are dying (these are real people with families) are starting to be used to score political points. We as a country failed to get a jump on this and we will be the country with the most cases and deaths when this is all over. This is disheartening to me as we have the resources for the opposite outcome.

I can get into a long back and forth about the media. By nature, I like to be devil's advocate and I have to catch myself because I know it's annoying to others. But this side to my personality comes out in the news I choose to consume. I have my belief system just like anybody else, but I look for news sources to challenge it because I sincerely want to understand the different points of view. Most of my news is consumed through podcasts and probably the informative and 'level' podcasts out there is NYT's The Daily Podcast. Some of you may read NYT and run for the hills, but the host is very good at questioning without bias. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Well one thing I will say. At least the NYT allows peons like me to read their website. Unlike the Indy Star.  I was able to read your link without immediately  getting blocked. Thanks for that.

I will stand on my statement. Not just the newspapers but also the East Coast media. Rarely report what is going on in the rest of the country.  Recently we have had some extra ordinary events happening in Colorado. Nothing. And have yet to hear about the recent tornadoes in Indiana reported by Mr. Flynn and others .

Not directed at you.  You already know you are on my most favored HSN member list.  Just not happy with the East Coast bias from the media.

Mile, you raise an important point. I absolutely HATE the Indy Star. I can't read any IU articles from it. It's useless to me unless I subscribe. And I lived in downtown Indy for years, but that paper is dead to me b/c of all of the annoying ads and the strict paywall.

And I appreciate you not taking my post personally. I'm pretty partial to the Midwest and my upbringing, so I'm very sensitive to East Coasters trashing or dismissing the rest of the country. We are all in this together no matter where we live!

6 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Mile, you raise an important point. I absolutely HATE the Indy Star. I can't read any IU articles from it. It's useless to me unless I subscribe. And I lived in downtown Indy for years, but that paper is dead to me b/c of all of the annoying ads and the strict paywall.

And I appreciate you not taking my post personally. I'm pretty partial to the Midwest and my upbringing, so I'm very sensitive to East Coasters trashing or dismissing the rest of the country. We are all in this together no matter where we live!

From downtown Indianapolis to a high rise in what ? Brooklyn ?  My hat's off to you. Not my life style. But more power to you. Not a condemnation. Just not for me.

Along the lines you proposed.  I can't understand why a news source, such as the Indy Star and others would block people from reading their internet sources.  After all. Aren't they here to distribute the news for us all ?  I would have no problem with them taking in advertising, to help support their sites. But to block their sites from the get go, is something I don't understand.  For me.... the result is for those that I know that block, unless you are a subscriber.... I just don't go there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

From downtown Indianapolis to a high rise in what ? Brooklyn ?  My hat's off to you. Not my life style. But more power to you. Not a condemnation. Just not for me.

Along the lines you proposed.  I can't understand why a news source, such as the Indy Star and others would block people from reading their internet sources.  After all. Aren't they here to distribute the news for us all ?  I would have no problem with them taking in advertising, to help support their sites. But to block their sites from the get go, is something I don't understand.  For me.... the result is for those that I know that block, unless you are a subscriber.... I just don't go there. 

We owned a condo down on Mass Ave and now we rent here in Brooklyn. We are not in a high rise - on top floor of a modest four floor building. And the crazy thing is that our neighborhood in Brooklyn is much, much quieter and chill than living in Indy. It's like Mayberry here in Prospect Heights. That's why I love Brooklyn so much.

26 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

You are right. That's an important point. It's also just impossibly to know here, b/c of our lack of testing. I'm actually kind of hoping that many more of us have had it or have it and not fallen sick. That would make our death rate much lower.

I'm less concerned with the death rate itself and more concerned with the number of deaths, whether they are trending up or down, and deaths as a percentage of the population.  The actual death rate is simply going to be impossible to determine.  We simply are not going to know how many people had it because of the lack of testing and the fact that people without symptoms are simply not typically going to receive a test even though they may have had the disease. And, factor in people that may have actually had this in January and February and there is no way to come close to a true death rate.

In the end, let's say the U.S. ends up with about 60,000 deaths.  That's a big number and nothing to ignore.  But, instead of just blasting that number in a fear inspiring headline, would it really hurt the media to have a headline that says 'U.S. Percentage of Deaths Compares Favorably to Rest of World'.

I'm not going to hold my breath that we will see that. 

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm less concerned with the death rate itself and more concerned with the number of deaths, whether they are trending up or down, and deaths as a percentage of the population.  The actual death rate is simply going to be impossible to determine.  We simply are not going to know how many people had it because of the lack of testing and the fact that people without symptoms are simply not typically going to receive a test even though they may have had the disease. And, factor in people that may have actually had this in January and February and there is no way to come close to a true death rate.

In the end, let's say the U.S. ends up with about 60,000 deaths.  That's a big number and nothing to ignore.  But, instead of just blasting that number in a fear inspiring headline, would it really hurt the media to have a headline that says 'U.S. Percentage of Deaths Compares Favorably to Rest of World'.

I'm not going to hold my breath that we will see that. 

Fauci just said they are looking at an antibody test to come out in a few weeks to show who has had it. So, at least there’s that. But a “few week’s” lately has meant: “hopefully a few weeks, but realistically a few months”. 

Keep seeing this being called the pandemic of the century, and it being compared to the 1918 Spanish Flu.

Either willfully, or out of ignorance 

The 1957-58 Asian Flu  70-116000 US deaths

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957–58_influenza_pandemic

and the 1968 Hong Kong Flu ~100,000 US deaths 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_flu

Seem to be ignored. 

Where was the mass hysteria, economic shutdown then?  I haven't read about it anywhere. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Keep seeing this being called the pandemic of the century, and it being compared to the 1918 Spanish Flu.

Either willfully, or out of ignorance 

The 1957-58 Asian Flu  70-116000 US deaths

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957–58_influenza_pandemic

and the 1968 Hong Kong Flu ~100,000 US deaths 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_flu

Seem to be ignored. 

Where was the mass hysteria, economic shutdown then?  I haven't read about it anywhere. 

There's a lot of recency bias in reporting. People tend to think or feel that what's happening now is more serious, more important, or more severe. Does it make it right, but it is something that happens.

Interesting thing about the Hong Kong Flu in 1968 - it was in two waves. The second was more severe than the first.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

There's a lot of recency bias in reporting. People tend to think or feel that what's happening now is more serious, more important, or more severe. Does it make it right, but it is something that happens.

Interesting thing about the Hong Kong Flu in 1968 - it was in two waves. The second was more severe than the first.

Not trying to diminish this in anyway but the government overreach is out of control. Just read where Michigan is banning travel from 1 residence to another. It's basically house arrest.  Seems when 1 state gets an idea others follow.  And so many others things we are letting them do. 

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not trying to diminish this in anyway but the government overreach is out of control. Just read where Michigan is banning travel from 1 residence to another. It's basically house arrest.  Seems when 1 state gets an idea others follow.  And so many others things we are letting them do. 

And let's not forget the high unemployment has been pretty much self-inflicted......

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I may have mentioned this before.  I forget. However, my neighbors have taken to take chairs out onto the street/sidewalk.  And converse across and down the street. Maintaining social distance.... while continuing social interaction.  Never seen anything like this before. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

And let's not forget the high unemployment has been pretty much self-inflicted......

Lots of opinions about this and if we may be over-reacting. This is the reality on the ground here though, so it's difficult for me to see your sides in this.

"The surge of critically ill COVID-19 patients has now given way to a crush of bodies that has overwhelmed hospital morgues, fleets of additional refrigeration trucks, and the funeral homes and crematoriums meant to help loved ones find some form of closure.

More than 1,500 people died in a 48-hour period in New York City this week, according to the city Health Department. That still fails to capture the full extent of the crisis, as city officials are still not releasing numbers of probable COVID-19 deaths where tests were not conducted. 

At one hospital in Queens, a physician who oversees an intensive care unit said the hospital was struggling to find places to put the dead."

1 minute ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yep. And underestimated.  My wife is a massage therapist, works(or worked) out of a salon at the moment.  Therapists, stylists, other salon workers all self employed, sole proprietor. All those I know have been unable to file so far.  That's just one sector with who knows how many millions out of work. The unemployment could be double for all we know.

Just now, milehiiu said:

I may have mentioned this before.  I forget. However, my neighbors have taken to take chairs out onto the street/sidewalk.  And converse across and down the street. Maintaining social distance.... while continuing social interaction.  Never seen anything like this before. 

This makes me happy. I can totally picture it.

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Yep. And underestimated.  My wife is a massage therapist, works(or worked) out of a salon at the moment.  Therapists, stylists, other salon workers all self employed, sole proprietor. All those I know have been unable to file so far.  That's just one sector with who knows how many millions out of work. The unemployment could be double for all we know.

The wife of a child hood friend of my son is a salon worker. She has applied for a job at an Amazon distribution center. Waiting for an answer back.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

The wife of a child hood friend of my son is a salon worker. She has applied for a job at an Amazon distribution center. Waiting for an answer back.

Was a few pages back so dont know if you saw it but the stimulus bill opened up state unemployment for self employed, sole proprietor, gig workers.  Just waiting on the system to be updated here. 

17 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Was a few pages back so dont know if you saw it but the stimulus bill opened up state unemployment for self employed, sole proprietor, gig workers.  Just waiting on the system to be updated here. 

Local tv last night had an interview of a lady.  Who has spent up to 12 hours a day trying to file for unemployment.  And as of the interview has not been able to get in.

43 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

What state? 

My state. Colorado.  She was in tears.

And getting back to the concentration of East Coast news.

How many of you heard about this :

Colorado Convention Center to transform into hospital to treat up 2,000 patients

or this :

600 beds will open at Denver’s National Western complex to give homeless men safer space during coronavirus outbreak