Coronavirus

Reacher

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Direct deposit ?

Got ours this morning via direct deposit.

While I'm not gonna complain about getting a drop of my tax money back, I am confused as to why people on SS, or welfare get any money at all, when the program was supposed to help "workers".

Retired Seniors didn't really suffer any loss of income due to the virus, and we probably saved a bunch of money by not being able to go anywhere and spend it. No restaurants, no shopping for grandkids, no day trips, no sightseeing, no nothing.

Welfare recipients get everything free already...Housing, food, phone, $1200+/month per kid, plus, plus, plus.

Seems like a waste to me. Just my 2¢.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

NYC adds 3700 presumed deaths. Not a minor amount. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/nyregion/new-york-coronavirus-deaths.html

This was long overdue. Adding the probable deaths that were not able to be tested makes sense. The number of people dying in their homes in NYC has been roughly 10 times per day over normal (just over 200 per day instead of 20-25). When the EMTs have been arriving the patients are already dead and as families describe the symptoms it's obviously COVID-19. Our first responders have unfortunately become experts at this as they are doing almost nothing but COVID-19 calls constantly.

And then there's this heartbreaking piece: "To alleviate pressure on hospitals, last week the council that oversees emergency responders told paramedics and EMTs  to try to revive a person whose heart has stopped beating in the field. If they can’t do so, the person is not taken to a hospital for further care."

How do they explain that to a loved one or family member on the scene?

The thing that's not being tracked is how many people are dying at home of other causes that would normally get quicker help. We will most likely try to get a handle on that number when this is all over. My boss is starting to look at how survivors are fairing in the months after infection. We think that's going to be an important bit of knowledge as we move forward.

Plenty of people won't get stimulus checks for a variety of reasons. With that said I think we missed the boat on a group. If I'm reading correctly college kids who are claimed by parents on taxes aren't getting a dime? What about the student (still getting claimed by parents on taxes) but is 100% responsible for his/her own tuition/housing/food/phone,etc...seems like a group we should want to help.

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Plenty of people won't get stimulus checks for a variety of reasons. With that said I think we missed the boat on a group. If I'm reading correctly college kids who are claimed by parents on taxes aren't getting a dime? What about the student (still getting claimed by parents on taxes) but is 100% responsible for his/her own tuition/housing/food/phone,etc...seems like a group we should want to help.

The parents get $500 per dependent child. It would be honorable to turn that over to the child if they are no longer a dependent. Understand that may be far from reality...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

The parents get $500 per dependent child. It would be honorable to turn that over to the child if they are no longer a dependent. Understand that may be far from reality...

Yep. My better half spends a fair amount of her practice in family law. You wouldn't believe some of the stories divorced, pending divorced, claiming kids for taxes, stimulus check manipulation that is going on behind the scenes. Really can't wait to just back to normal crazy America and not what I'm seeing out there now. Haha.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Reopen America. 

Use common sense. Be smart.

This is getting ridiculous. 

Local politician here in Indiana will undoubtedly get some heat for his comments but he basically said open this thing up. Here's link to his comments. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/indiana-congressman-says-he-s-willing-let-more-americans-die-n1184036

• Like 2

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Local politician here in Indiana will undoubtedly get some heat for his comments but he basically said open this thing up. Here's link to his comments. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/indiana-congressman-says-he-s-willing-let-more-americans-die-n1184036

Common sense is what seems to be lacking in many places. Good for him!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DWB said:

Got ours this morning via direct deposit.

While I'm not gonna complain about getting a drop of my tax money back, I am confused as to why people on SS, or welfare get any money at all, when the program was supposed to help "workers".

Retired Seniors didn't really suffer any loss of income due to the virus, and we probably saved a bunch of money by not being able to go anywhere and spend it. No restaurants, no shopping for grandkids, no day trips, no sightseeing, no nothing.

Welfare recipients get everything free already...Housing, food, phone, $1200+/month per kid, plus, plus, plus.

Seems like a waste to me. Just my 2¢.

Can't speak for welfare but a lot of people on SS still work and file taxes, my Father being one of them at the young age of 80.

• Like 5