Coronavirus

Reacher

14 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Alright, how about something more humorous instead of all the doom and gloom?

I own an RV and because of the closures of campgrounds around the nation, I'm really anxious to go camping. But I can't help but wonder what the first day of openings would be like. Would it be like this???

My wife works at the hospital and we have already decided if she comes down with something we will bring the camper home, set it up in the back yard and have her self isolate out there. Fortunately last year when I ran electric to the barn I set up a circuit to handle the camper. 

Edited by jefftheref
  • Like 1

Haven't been keeping a close watch on this thread, so I may be out of line.

Wasn't sure I was going to post this! But here are some personal thoughts. Keep in mind I currently have about 3 million dollars of tooling being built in China, in spite of the 25% tariff they are still the better choice both from quality and cost!(Keep that in mind) 

The only time I have been in China, about 18 years ago, I took 8 Chinese Language bibles with me, in hopes of spreading the good word. Never felt there was a comfortable place to leave with someone! Finally, as I was checking out of the hotel the last day I decided to leave two bibles on top of the wardrobe. I was not allowed to leave until the room had been inspected! Needless to say I didn't leave until I accepted the bibles  back! Left two bibles under the seat of the Taxi driver taking me to the airport! I pray the Taxi driver did not suffer for it!

The girl who reports on Monday weekly progress reports, and does an excellent job of it, lives in Wuhan! I have expressed my concerns for her and those she cares for, and her response  was equal to mine!

This world is complicated, and if you think you have the answers, then you are clearly ignorant! 

No offense!

43 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Alright, how about something more humorous instead of all the doom and gloom?

I own an RV and because of the closures of campgrounds around the nation, I'm really anxious to go camping. But I can't help but wonder what the first day of openings would be like. Would it be like this???

A3B5CB63-EA2E-4849-A593-FC2205DAC30C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jefftheref said:

My wife works at the hospital and we have already decided if she comes down with something we will bring the camper home, set it up one backyard and have her self isolate out there. Fortunately last year when I ran electric to the barn I set up a circuit to handle the camper. 

Nice.  May God bless your wife for all she does in this trying time for all.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

This one has me a tad confused and concerned. I agree we should partner up. I also agree as mentioned in in plenty of articles that each state won't be doing things exactly the same way as other states. Just seems a bit much PR for me. What does a person in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan know how a person is doing in Southern Indiana? What does a family on Chicago's West Side have to do with something going on in coal mine country of Kentucky? Completely different demographics. Just seems weird to me but these are weird times. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This one has me a tad confused and concerned. I agree we should partner up. I also agree as mentioned in in plenty of articles that each state won't be doing things exactly the same way as other states. Just seems a bit much PR for me. What does a person in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan know how a person is doing in Southern Indiana? What does a family on Chicago's West Side have to do with something going on in coal mine country of Kentucky? Completely different demographics. Just seems weird to me but these are weird times. 

I would imagine that some of it has to do with crossing a state line to go to work.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

I would imagine that some of it has to do with crossing a state line to go to work.

Yep, People in Northern Kentucky cross the state line to work in Indiana and Ohio and vice-versa.  People in northern Indiana and Ohio cross state line to work in Michigan and Illinois.  People in Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin cross back and forth the state line to work.  Not really sure how much border crossing happens between Minnesota and Wisconsin, but you get the point.

31 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe states would have to open up in sections? I’m in the region and a whole lot of people around here work in IL. I’d guess that our trajectory is closer to Chicago than Indianapolis. Opening up a different times could cause potential issues. Again, another tough decision. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Maybe states would have to open up in sections? I’m in the region and a whole lot of people around here work in IL. I’d guess that our trajectory is closer to Chicago than Indianapolis. Opening up a different times could cause potential issues. Again, another tough decision. 

Yep. I get the economics of crossing state lines the other ones have mentioned. Guess I'm talking in broad terms/geography. No way this can work without some very coordinated calculation. Wisconsin Governor extended stay at home until May 26th yesterday while Ohio Governor is targeting open for business in the next week or two. 

I get the other sides. People crossing state lines for work or whatever and potentially bringing virus with them but hopefully they didn't announce this so early without thinking of the downsides. 

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Of the people being tested in Decatur county 52% have tested positive. We are up to 12 confirmed positives in our church alone. I just dont think most people are social distancing here and it shows 

All I know is where I am everyone is shopping at the same 5-6 stores that are open and they are busy most everyday. 

Edited by mrflynn03

Article in the NYT yesterday about a hospital in Batesville struggling with limited staffing. This one is for you @milehiiu

A Tiny Hospital Struggles to Treat a Burst of Coronavirus Patients

And if its employees fall ill, as three physicians and more than a dozen nurses and others have in recent weeks, “your bench doesn’t go very deep,” said Tim Putnam, the hospital’s chief executive.

20 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Article in the NYT yesterday about a hospital in Batesville struggling with limited staffing. This one is for you @milehiiu

A Tiny Hospital Struggles to Treat a Burst of Coronavirus Patients

Thank you.  That hospital is lucky to have even one doctor.  Many rural communities in Colorado, for years, have been struggling to get a doctor.  Many have no doctors. And in emergencies, the patient gets airlifted to either Denver or Colorado Springs. Depending on which big city hospital is closest.

May you and your wife continue to stay strong.

What's everybody's opinions on masks? Two weeks ago only few people were wearing masks at Costco. Last week more that half were. 

In CA I know that people are expected to wear one in public.

I think there seems to be the general attitude that you are wearing a mask for your own protection. But I think it's more important for other people's protection. Just by talking without a mask you send airborne droplets into the air, they land on the floor, a cereal box at the store, etc. Because there's a delay in symptoms and people are unintentionally spreading COVID19, this would seem like an important measure to take.  Especially as Governors are contemplating loosening restrictions. 

My biggest worry (other than the deaths of course) as we rollout going back out into public, is a second spike that'd force us to go back into isolation and delay us getting back to work even more. Facemasks may be annoying, but maybe a necessary precaution. Just curious about others opinions on this. Would you be upset if the state told you that you had to wear a mask in public? We'd at least get some killer tan lines. 

Edited by tdhoosier

@tdhoosier

From my understanding masks prevent the person wearing it from spreading. In Asian countries if someone is sick they wear a mask to protect others from themselves.  If we are going to have to wear face coverings I want a custom IU one.I would be irritated if forced to do it only because I guess I was born to resist authority but I would do it to protect others. 

Unrelated but didnt want to do a second post.  2 people from the facility I work in, in Jackson county have tested positive and 1 is in ICU.  Have had a couple I work with directly in my department go on quarantine.  

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

What's everybody's opinions on masks? Two weeks ago only few people were wearing masks at Costco. Last week more that half were. 

I think there seems to be the general attitude that you are wearing a mask for your own protection. But I think it's more important for other people's protection. Just by talking without a mask you send airborne droplets into the air, they land on the floor, a cereal box at the store, etc. Because there's a delay in symptoms and people are unintentionally spreading COVID19, this would seem like an important measure to take.  Especially as Governors are contemplating loosening restrictions. 

My biggest worry (other than the deaths of course) as we rollout going back out into public, is a second spike that'd force us to go back into isolation and delay us getting back to work even more. Facemasks may be annoying, but maybe a necessary precaution. Just curious about others opinions on this. Would you be upset if the state told you that you had to wear a mask in public? We'd at least get some killer tan lines. 

Would not be upset.  Currently do not have one though.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

We had some leftover from when I was finishing the drywall in the garage and adding insulation to the attic (the n95 ones). I bought a 10 pack of these about 2 years ago from Amazon and had about 5-6 left. We have worn them when we had to venture out to store etc. We figured it couldn't hurt any and might help.

• Like 1