Coronavirus

Reacher

12 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Anyone have links to articles discussing antibody testing that has already went on overseas? 

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/04/09/999015/blood-tests-show-15-of-people-are-now-immune-to-covid-19-in-one-town-in-germany/

https://abc11.com/antibody-test-new-normal-covid-19-first-responders/6106497/

2 questions I have are

Does the low % of positive antibody testing mean a large % of the population might not even be susceptible to the virus?

Or does it mean a lack of exposure and the measures we are taking will seriously prolong this? 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

i don't know how I feel about some of those tracking solutions. I definitely prefer the 'bluteooth coins' which is removable over the government tracking your phone.

I don't know if any of you listen to Dan Carlin's history podcasts, but he always says how the biggest moments in history are triggered by over-reactions. Whether it was the assassination of Archduke Frans Ferdinand that led to WWI or the over-reaction to 9/11 which paved the way for some sketchy things in the Patriot Act or the war in Afghanistan. 

It's impossible to see the future, but I do wonder which pandemic reactions will be regrettable in years to come. I completely understand why the proposed tracking will be helpful, but what will that lead to? 

• Like 3

Cuomo just extended the NY "Pause" until May 15th. I think that makes sense. My faculty that I'm talking to here just can't see a way out of this w/o MASSIVE increases in testing/tracking of cases.

My wife and I have been discussing how we return to work and we just don't think we can hop back on the subway to commute until there is a vaccine. Even though she is a young and healthy 40yo, she has a history of lung collapses and pretty bad scarring after three surgeries, so she's my first priority.

It's 6 miles from our home in Brooklyn to our offices in Manhattan. We would just run to work and back, but we don't have showers at work. We have our old Schwinn bikes at our home in Maryland, so we could go get those and bike to work, but NYC drivers and bikers are not on good footing.

Walking to work would take us two hours, but it would be preferable to being stuck on a crowded sub.

We do have a car that we rarely use, so we could drive in to work and pay the $600 a month to park in a garage. I think we will do a comboof biking/walking/driving depending on the weather.

18 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

It's impossible to see the future, but I do wonder which pandemic reactions will be regrettable in years to come. I completely understand why the proposed tracking will be helpful, but what will that lead to? 

Kind of resembles the makings of a George Orwell novel?

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I'm thinking both. I still can't see how we are going to be able to remove the stay at home directives anytime soon...

One thing that bothers me is that I think there is a delay in reporting some of the numbers.  Maybe some counties are not reporting every day.  With the technology we have available, that should not happen.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It would have been impossible to overreact to 9/11.  

2,400 dead soldiers and $2.4 trillion spent in Afghanistan? All of the civil liberty violations in the Patriot Act? Yes, we needed to act but not go that far. 

edit: also my point being for the Patriot Act was that it was rushed through and written in fear. Intentions may have been right in the moment, but consequences may linger. I just think we are in a similar situation right now and caution needs to be excercised.

Edited by tdhoosier

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

2,400 dead soldiers and $2.4 trillion spent in Afghanistan? All of the civil liberty violations in the Patriot Act? Yes, we needed to act but not go that far. 

We will have to agree to disagree on this topic.  Act with strength or it will happen again.  Exactly what parts of the Patriot Act do you feel violate your civil liberties?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this topic.  Act with strength or it will happen again.  Exactly what parts of the Patriot Act do you feel violate your civil liberties?

The government would no longer be required to disclose the identity of anyone, even an American citizen, detained in connection with a terror investigation - until criminal charges are filed, no matter how long that takes (sec 201).       

Current court limits on local police spying on religious and political activity would be repealed (sec. 312).       

The government would be allowed to obtain credit records and library records without a warrant (secs. 126, 128, 129).        

Wiretaps without any court order for up to 15 days after terror attack would be permissible. (sec. 103).        

Release of information about health/safety hazards posed by chemical and other plants would be restricted (sec. 202).       

The reach of an already overbroad definition of terrorism would be expanded - individuals engaged in civil disobedience could risk losing their citizenship (sec. 501); their organization could be subject to wiretapping (secs. 120, 121) and asset seizure (secs. 428, 428).       

Americans could be extradited, searched and wiretapped at the behest of foreign nations, whether or not treaties allow it (sec. 321, 322).       

Lawful immigrants would be stripped of the right to a fair deportation hearing and federal courts would not be allowed to review immigration rulings (secs. 503, 504).

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Happen again? It bred more terrorists. It's a never ending cycle. 

I agree a response with force was needed. We needed to defend our country better. But whether it was right or wrong it significantly altered the course of history, which was my greater point. I find we're veering off subject. 

The only actionable thing we can do is take care of our health and immune systems.  I need to be more consistent with immune system boosters. 

My vitamin stack is A,C,D and will be adding zinc.  I also try to drink a lemon, ginger, turmeric immune tea 3-4 times a week.

Not just with this virus but other respiratory conditions it is the overreaction of a suppressed immune system that causes death.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-does-the-flu-actually-kill-people/

https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/what-is-a-cytokine-storm

Guys,

Overall, GREAT job on keeping a tough discussion very respectable. A few instances of approaching the line, but very good self policing and self restraint. Thank you.

With that said, please be careful. These topics can ruin friendships. Just keep being respectful.

And venturing off to 9/11 and the response is getting off topic a bit....and will certainly blow this up (no pun intended, it is not a joke).

So let's move away from chasing that rabbit.

Thanks HSN. Really good people here with different views. That's what makes the world go around, as long as respected.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

It would have been impossible to overreact to 9/11.  

You went outside the scope of what he was saying Fouls. As a statement, yes, absolutely impossible to overreact to 911. On the other hand, it was absolutely u sed to inject some sketchy stuff into legislation, that's the point -- and that does involve overreaction, in legislation.

• Thanks 1