Coronavirus

Reacher

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

What's everybody's opinions on masks? Two weeks ago only few people were wearing masks at Costco. Last week more that half were. 

In CA I know that people are expected to wear one in public.

I think there seems to be the general attitude that you are wearing a mask for your own protection. But I think it's more important for other people's protection. Just by talking without a mask you send airborne droplets into the air, they land on the floor, a cereal box at the store, etc. Because there's a delay in symptoms and people are unintentionally spreading COVID19, this would seem like an important measure to take.  Especially as Governors are contemplating loosening restrictions. 

My biggest worry (other than the deaths of course) as we rollout going back out into public, is a second spike that'd force us to go back into isolation and delay us getting back to work even more. Facemasks may be annoying, but maybe a necessary precaution. Just curious about others opinions on this. Would you be upset if the state told you that you had to wear a mask in public? We'd at least get some killer tan lines. 

50 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@tdhoosier

From my understanding masks prevent the person wearing it from spreading. In Asian countries if someone is sick they wear a mask to protect others from themselves.  If we are going to have to wear face coverings I want a custom IU one.I would be irritated if forced to do it only because I guess I was born to resist authority but I would do it to protect others. 

Unrelated but didnt want to do a second post.  2 people from the facility I work in, in Jackson county have tested positive and 1 is in ICU.  Have had a couple I work with directly in my department go on quarantine.  

Masks are mainly to keep from spreading, but they do provide some meausre of protection. Yesterday, they mandated everyone must wear a face covering in public.

From Cuomo:

Mr. Cuomo said when he announced the rule on Wednesday that face coverings, which could be proper masks, scarves or bandannas, could be worn below the chin when no one was nearby.

“You’re walking down the street alone? Great,” he said. “You’re now at an intersection and there are people at the intersection and you’re going to be in proximity to other people? Put the mask on.”

But in buses and subways as well as in for-hire vehicles like cabs and Ubers, everyone, including the driver or operator, must wear a mask, Mr. Cuomo said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Thank you.  That hospital is lucky to have even one doctor.  Many rural communities in Colorado, for years, have been struggling to get a doctor.  Many have no doctors. And in emergencies, the patient gets airlifted to either Denver or Colorado Springs. Depending on which big city hospital is closest.

May you and your wife continue to stay strong.

Yeah, this article talks about how so many patients are being sent to Cincinnati. I worry about my old hometown in IN during this and rural communities like you mentioned in CO. I think as it eases up here in NYC a bit in the coming weeks, we may see the hot spots in rural communities. I hope not though.

My wife is making a carrot/pistachio loaf right now. She handles the stress and anxiety by baking. And then I eat everything. Should probably try my work pants on sometime soon. 🤣

26 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Yeah, this article talks about how so many patients are being sent to Cincinnati. I worry about my old hometown in IN during this and rural communities like you mentioned in CO. I think as it eases up here in NYC a bit in the coming weeks, we may see the hot spots in rural communities. I hope not though.

My wife is making a carrot/pistachio loaf right now. She handles the stress and anxiety by baking. And then I eat everything. Should probably try my work pants on sometime soon. 🤣

I'm interested in that carrot and pistachio loaf. 

38 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Mrs. mile has been doing a lot of baking as well. Stress is less in Colorado compared to NYC.  She has been baking for our milk man, mail man, and one church member who is confined to a room in a nursing home. 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Mrs. mile has been doing a lot of baking as well. Stress is less in Colorado compared to NYC.  She has been baking for our milk man, mail man, and one church member who is confined to a room in a nursing home. 

Our UPS guy must really like fruit.  My wife buys an abundance of strawberries, cherries, etc and a lot of whipped cream.  Won't let me touch it.  Says it's for the UPS driver.  Odd that I never seem to be home when he stops by though.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Our UPS guy must really like fruit.  My wife buys an abundance of strawberries, cherries, etc and a lot of whipped cream.  Won't let me touch it.  Says it's for the UPS driver.  Odd that I never seem to be home when he stops by though.  

Well. That's great about the fruit.  However, I would be worried about the whipped cream.  Just kidding.  I think ?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Sounds like a Q95 call in to Mr. Obvious

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I wish you were. I would love to meet you. 

• Haha 8

53 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Indiana numbers this week have not held the promise that we saw last week.  612 more cases reported today with 42 deaths.

The official Indiana website is saying 125 deaths in a 24 hour period on April 16th. So sad!

5 minutes ago, Cutter said:

The official Indiana website is saying 125 deaths in a 24 hour period on April 16th. So sad!

Wow.  That's tough.  I got my number from what is being reported in the media.  I think part of it is delays in getting numbers reported.  Some of those getting reported may go back a week or more because counties aren't sending in their numbers every day.  125 is a big, big number, especially when you consider that the state reported only 7 on one day this past weekend.  

The numbers being what they are, I think it makes it really tough to open back up in the immediate future.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Wow.  That's tough.  I got my number from what is being reported in the media.  I think part of it is delays in getting numbers reported.  Some of those getting reported may go back a week or more because counties aren't sending in their numbers every day.  125 is a big, big number, especially when you consider that the state reported only 7 on one day this past weekend.  

The numbers being what they are, I think it makes it really tough to open back up in the immediate future.

I agree there is a lag in reporting the deaths. April 15th had been reported at 47 in an update, like you say the official totals are delayed and will change depending on the counties process.

Jacksonville, Florida is opening up their beaches at 5 p.m today.  No towels allowed.  In other words, you can walk the beach. But not lay on the beach.  Honestly, I can agree with this. As people are looking for ways to relieve the stress.  Meanwhile all other Florida beaches are to remained closed.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Do I sense a user name change to 6 fouls?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Jacksonville, Florida is opening up their beaches at 5 p.m today.  No towels allowed.  In other words, you can walk the beach. But not lay on the beach.  Honestly, I can agree with this. As people are looking for ways to relieve the stress.  Meanwhile all other Florida beaches are to remained closed.

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Going to be alot of sandy buttcracks. I personally would take a boogie board. 

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Thank you.  That hospital is lucky to have even one doctor.  Many rural communities in Colorado, for years, have been struggling to get a doctor.  Many have no doctors. And in emergencies, the patient gets airlifted to either Denver or Colorado Springs. Depending on which big city hospital is closest.

May you and your wife continue to stay strong.

I have a niece that when she got her doctors degree, she was recruited by a rural hospital in southern Ill. They told her if she would agree to work there for 3 years, they would pay half of her tuition! Needless to say, that is what she did. Now, years later, she is back home working at Evansvilles' largest hospitals.....

9 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I have a niece that when she got her doctors degree, she was recruited by a rural hospital in southern Ill. They told her if she would agree to work there for 3 years, they would pay half of her tuition! Needless to say, that is what she did. Now, years later, she is back home working at Evansvilles' largest hospitals.....

The numbers seem to indicate that the Evansville area has done pretty well with Covid-19

Just now, 5fouls said:

The numbers seem to indicate that the Evansville area has done pretty well with Covid-19

Yes, I think the numbers are 71 cases with 1 death, and she is on the front line....

The head scratcher in our area is across the river in Hopkins County (Madisonville area), where they have a whopping 116 confirmed cases and 9 deaths. Also Daviess Co. (Owensboro, Ky.) has 98 cases and 3 deaths....

5 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yes, I think the numbers are 71 cases with 1 death, and she is on the front line....

The head scratcher in our area is across the river in Hopkins County (Madisonville area), where they have a whopping 116 confirmed cases and 9 deaths. Also Daviess Co. (Owensboro, Ky.) has 98 cases and 3 deaths....

That is weird because Kentucky has generally fared much better than Indiana overall.