Coronavirus

Reacher

Just now, milehiiu said:

Oh.  You are still on my most favored member list.  And what you are going through in NYC is beyond imaginable.  Stay strong. 

I appreciate that, my friend. I will still try not to go there though with politics. It's the only way we can still talk about IU basketball, gardening, morel mushrooms, and all the other important stuff in life.

John+Wayne+bandana.jpg

I am out here in the West. Still standard wear for Cowboys is the neck kerchief.  Served many purposes. Kept the sun off their necks. Wiped the sweat off their faces.  And covered their mouths and noses on a dusty cattle drive.

Were Cowboys ahead of their time ?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Mile, I know the rules. And as a liberal a**hole living in Brooklyn, I try to be especially aware of them. But, I will admit this topic is tough for me. I shouldn't have went there with the toddler and the diaper.

You're right, and the poster who called the Michigan governor an idiot should not have posted that either. As little people, we have no idea what pressures these elected officials are facing. I'm glad to not be walking in their shoes. 

Stay safe. 

12 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

You're right, and the poster who called the Michigan governor an idiot should not have posted that either. As little people, we have no idea what pressures these elected officials are facing. I'm glad to not be walking in their shoes. 

Stay safe. 

She is doing some things that make absolutely no sense though. Like cant buy garden seeds? How does that help. 

In times like these, I don't think bringing out the ban hammer for small violations of the board is the right thing to do.  We all have our beliefs and in trying times, some of our frustrations are going to come out.  

I do think, however, that everyone needs to understand that in this fight, we are all Americans.  No one has the answers.  When a state or government leader is trying to do what they think is right, I have no issues with it, even if it was not something I would have done.  Where I have issues is when things unrelated to the virus bleed into the decision making.  We don't need that now, but unfortunately, there are opportunists all too willing to take advantage of it. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

She is doing some things that make absolutely no sense though. Like cant buy garden seeds? How does that help. 

I live two miles from Michigan, and do most of my shopping, there, and to me, it makes no sense. I've been laid off almost a month, and have been to a store about four times since. This is in a town of about, 8000 people, and even there, it's pretty easy to tell that there a lot of people going out needlessly. Probably much worse in places like Detroit, etc. 

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In times like these, I don't think bringing out the ban hammer for small violations of the board is the right thing to do.  We all have our beliefs and in trying times, some of our frustrations are going to come out.  

I do think, however, that everyone needs to understand that in this fight, we are all Americans.  No one has the answers.  When a state or government leader is trying to do what they think is right, I have no issues with it, even if it was not something I would have done.  Where I have issues is when things unrelated to the virus bleed into the decision making.  We don't need that now, but unfortunately, there are opportunists all too willing to take advantage of it. 

I agree. People need to vent. I got it out of my system. As long as it doesnt go to far let it out. We all believe different things and need to accept that and maybe we learn from each other too.  

5 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

I live two miles from Michigan, and do most of my shopping, there, and to me, it makes no sense. I've been laid off almost a month, and have been to a store about four times since. This is in a town of about, 8000 people, and even there, it's pretty easy to tell that there a lot of people going out needlessly. Probably much worse in places like Detroit, etc. 

There is definitely alot of people out for no reason. I see it here in southern Indiana too. But if people shopped smart they would make a list and get it all at once.  But people aren't too smart. I was well stocked before this started so havent went out much other than work. 

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

This is actually not fearmongering. It's happening here in NYC. I work at the School of Medicine for a major university here in NYC. There is protocol. But there is also the reality of how many runs our first responders can physically make in a day. It might be different where you live, but here in NYC right now, it's different. Protocols are important but becoming much more flexible. We would love to follow all recommendations to the T, but it's just not possible right now.

I'm not arguing.  Ny must not follow best practice.  Which is good on scene cpr.   I've sadly had to walk past many family members after doing all the we can do.  Sure it's sad but so is the fact that 156,000 people die on average, every day globally.  On working cardiac arrests we have 10 fresh men and women, at least 2, usually 3 medics working a patient.  If you try to do that in a 5-10 minute ride to er in the back of an ambulance, you aren't providing good CPR which has been proven to be the most important thing.   

Maybe I'm confused and need to reread your post.  

@NotIThatLives

In Sept 2006 I was at White River State Park in Indy for a free concert with my dad and his church friend. He had a sudden fatal heart attack.  CPR was done, they used a defibrillator.  Not sure how long, maybe 20 minutes, before an ambulance took him too Wishard Memorial.  Just my personal experience.

I've seen in multiple sources this is standard protocol.  

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

There is definitely alot of people out for no reason. I see it here in southern Indiana too. But if people shopped smart they would make a list and get it all at once.  But people aren't too smart. I was well stocked before this started so havent went out much other than work. 

You're spot on, and that's why I haven't gone ballistic about the new measures michigan has enacted. They don't make sense to me, but maybe the governor felt she needed to make a point to people who were going out to much. Hopefully they can ease the restrictions, soon. 

I will say it’s hard to navigate this thread without getting into politics. I’ve already gotten myself into hot water. But let me just remind people that in many cases your reality dictates your perspective. Lostin76 is in the thick of it. Hundreds of people dying everyday and he’s working for a hospital system. He’s seeing the worst if it first hand. It’s a complete change from here (where I live at least); my neighbor is an ER nurse and the hospital is cutting hours because they’re so slow. Frustrations are going to come out. I like this thread, let’s bite our tongues as best as we can and keep this thread going because it is a bit therapeutic. But also keep in mind some are living completely different realities right now...let’s try to respect that at the very least. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone read up recently on Switzerland?  Aren't they the ones that if you are young and healthy, carry on,  just be smart and hygienic?   Can someone give a synopsis and link any good articles?  

I'm what many would consider front lines, on the street.  I sat in the office and listened to dispatch for over 2 hours over the weekend.  The volume of runs goimg out what about 1 every 5 minutes.  Usually we are popping them off one after another with the occasional 30 second gap.  Strange times.  I'm skeptical,  not that it isn't real because it is and I have witnessed it and have now had a neighbor and a few friends have it.  I was exposed myself in mid March on a confirmed patient.  At some point and some point soon,  things need to loosen up.  Wear a mask if necessary,  stay home if sick, elderly, or compromised.   La and a few others have already announced mask wearing in public.  We have seen the dominoes and by the end of the week, every major city will say the same thing.   

11 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

When people push for reopening b/c their communities haven't been hit yet and asking us to trust investors and the government, I just can't.

Understand your point, but I do (and always have) trusted in myself, rather than the gov't or others, to protect myself and family. If people are too stupid to take remedial precautions on their health (this or anything else) then they have no one to blame but themselves.

It is disheartening that we lose any life to any virus, or cancer, or crime, or car accidents, etc. But to blame the gov't for our problems isn't going to solve the issue. We are going to solve the issue. The medical professionals, the logistics people, the food processors, the everyday worker, the list goes on and on.

Without an economy we have no country. It's a balance we have to manage. Economics & Medical precautions.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Muckraker said:

Stay safe. 

Yup, easy for us keyboard jockeys to judge leaders. And I agree, I would not want to be in their shoes.

Sty safe out there, too.

As 5fouls alluded to, we are all Americans during these very tough times.  IMO we need to throw politics out the window and approach things we a nonpartisan view.  I have no problem with what Trump is doing or the way he is handling things.  Although I do wish he would act and behave a little more "Presidential".  That being said thing, the other side is not helping things themselves.

https://peltthepundits.com/2020/04/speaker-pelosi-condemns-trumps-cuts-to-who-while-other-world-leaders-show-support

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rico said:

As 5fouls alluded to, we are all Americans during these very tough times.  IMO we need to throw politics out the window and approach things we a nonpartisan view.  I have no problem with what Trump is doing or the way he is handling things.  Although I do wish he would act and behave a little more "Presidential".  That being said thing, the other side is not helping things themselves.

https://peltthepundits.com/2020/04/speaker-pelosi-condemns-trumps-cuts-to-who-while-other-world-leaders-show-support

The first half of the post was contradictory to the second half of the post. I thought we not trying to go there? 

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

22 million unemployed as of today.  Thats just the people that have filed unemployment claims. 

Yikes. 

I do think those numbers are a tad skewed, no doubt it's really bad though. Many people are furloughed and collecting unemployment for the hours they can't work. They'll go off unemployment when things begin to open back up. We'll still have a lot of unemployed when this is over from the businesses who couldn't survive, but that number may get cut in half when restrictions are loosened. *fingers crossed this is the case* 

• Like 1