Coronavirus

Reacher

Had to take the wife and her 89 year old mother out today to get prescriptions and to Aldi to get supplies. Judging by the traffic I saw, not many are staying home. I'm thinking it's Easter week-end and many are shopping for it?

On a side note: With all the shortages of toilet paper, it seems in Florida there is a run on this......

https://wowway.net/news/read/article/sun_sentinel-yes_south_floridians_are_even_panicbuying_baby_chi-tca/category/news

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

China reporting 1 death today.  

A few years ago I played a Pandemic game where you try to wipe everyone out.  Obviously the game hits a little close to home considering where we are at, but I figured I'd check it out again as I sat at home bored.  I infected every person on Earth except for China.  My disease supposedly never made it to China.  I had to chuckle about that.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess this is coronavirus related. Would be a great time to start road projects. I know Indy is shutting down I70 so they can speed up these construction projects because of less cars on the roads.

https://www.wthr.com/article/indot-close-part-i-70-30-days-speed-construction-project

Not Houston, they’ll just wait for the next rush hour. 
😑

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I guess this is coronavirus related. Would be a great time to start road projects. I know Indy is shutting down I70 so they can speed up these construction projects because of less cars on the roads.

https://www.wthr.com/article/indot-close-part-i-70-30-days-speed-construction-project

Denver started doing that last week. One of the area highways is blocked down to one lane each direction from four. It’s terribly annoying to those of us who still have to go to work, but that’s the smartest thing to do right now.  It works to get these projects done earlier and keeps people from driving.  Win- win.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveS said:

Denver started doing that last week. One of the area highways is blocked down to one lane each direction from four. It’s terribly annoying to those of us who still have to go to work, but that’s the smartest thing to do right now.  It works to get these projects done earlier and keeps people from driving.  Win- win.

Yep. I'm amazed that most cities aren't doing this. Make so much sense to do now.

11 minutes ago, SteveS said:

Plus Steve.  Some projects are now 24 hours a day. Stay safe out there.

Colorado DOT continuing road work, seeing less traffic under stay-at-home orders

Interesting story.  Models predict that yesterday's death total may have been the peak, but they also predict the following based on when social distancing restrictions are lifted.

• If lifted at the end of May, overall death toll is expected to be around 60,000
  • If lifted on May 1st, there is a risk of a rebound back to where we are now  in July which could lead to an overall death total of 200,000

The problems that the states are going to have is that once people start seeing the number of cases and deaths go down, they will think everything is in the clear.  As difficult as it is now to keep people from congregating, it will be even more so then.

In Kentucky, they are having problems with some churches blatantly disobeying the order. 

I don;t understand what people don't get about this.  It's just not about them.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/11/health/us-coronavirus-updates-saturday/index.html

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Interesting story.  Models predict that yesterday's death total may have been the peak, but they also predict the following based on when social distancing restrictions are lifted.

• If lifted at the end of May, overall death toll is expected to be around 60,000
  • If lifted on May 1st, there is a risk of a rebound back to where we are now  in July which could lead to an overall death total of 200,000

The problems that the states are going to have is that once people start seeing the number of cases and deaths go down, they will think everything is in the clear.  As difficult as it is now to keep people from congregating, it will be even more so then.

In Kentucky, they are having problems with some churches blatantly disobeying the order. 

I don;t understand what people don't get about this.  It's just not about them.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/11/health/us-coronavirus-updates-saturday/index.html

And, IMO, come late spring and summer when the weather is nice, people will be wanting to go out and do things they would normally do. If this continues, there's no way you will keep everybody quarantined to their homes.....

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Mrs. mile and I attended our churches' Good Friday Service last night. Zoom. From our kitchen.   Watched the service on her I-phone. And followed along by reading page by page, the scriptures on our Pro-book. It was cool.

• Like 2

Driving home after a fishing trip in my first truck from Kentucky, was going east on I-64.  Right before the Marengo exit, brand new set of wheels, the left rear came off because all the lugnuts came undone.  So at 6ish in the morning I'm running east down the westbound lane chasing my tire and wheel. Thing went about 1 1/2 miles before it stopped. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

And, IMO, come late spring and summer when the weather is nice, people will be wanting to go out and do things they would normally do. If this continues, there's no way you will keep everybody quarantined to their homes.....

It is happening now in early spring...

Then the texts stopped. I called the hospital, asking for information. I called several times the next day. A nurse or a clerk working in Dad’s unit sounded testy: “They have thirty-five critical patients, and they just can’t talk to everyone. They will call if there is a change in your dad’s care.

Texts from my Father in Elmhurst Hospital, Queens

I have been with the same insurance company since 1970. House, cars and rentals. No health care.  Got an e-mail today that they are reducing car premiums by 25% beginning now.  I paid my annual premium on April 5th.  Will be calling them on Tuesday ( Monday's are always busy) to see if they will be sending me a check, or crediting me for the next billing time.

Suggestion HSN members.  Call your insurance company to see if they are or will be doing the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I have been with the same insurance company since 1970. House, cars and rentals. No health care.  Got an e-mail today that they are reducing car premiums by 25% beginning now.  I paid my annual premium on April 5th.  Will be calling them on Tuesday ( Monday's are always busy) to see if they will be sending me a check, or crediting me for the next billing time.

Suggestion HSN members.  Call your insurance company to see if they are or will be doing the same.

Allstate and American Family have announced rebates. I expect others will join in. 

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

Allstate and American Family have announced rebates. I expect others will join in. 

Good. If one does not get an e-mail, as we did.... I suggest to call your company or agent.  Don't let this slip through the cracks. With my case having four cars and trucks insured, 25% reduction is a good piece of change.

10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Good. If one does not get an e-mail, as we did.... I suggest to call your company or agent.  Don't let this slip through the cracks. With my case having four cars and trucks insured, 25% reduction is a good piece of change.

Got this from USAA...

Screenshot_20200412-074915~2.png