TV show binging - making and asking for recommendations

On 1/1/2023 at 8:39 AM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Aint that the truth you corksukcer! lol

I love it when the Chinese guy tries to explain anything to Al. Hilarious 

My wife and I had a running bet about how far into the show we would get before that certain phrase was uttered.

• Haha 1

I just joined this thread with the Deadwood discussion, so I'll throw out a few binge shows that haven't been mentioned.

Hilda on Netflix is a delight. Ostensibly a kids show, it's comfort food for just the two of us even at 40. It's similar to the joy I get from some Calvin & Hobbes or Hayao Miyazaki, that sense of wonder you had as a child that there's a great big magical world out there to be explored. I wish I could ride a water spirit, and my wife wishes she could keep knittens.

Derry Girls is also a fun watch. The recently release third season is the final one, less than 20 episodes total, so it's a quick binge. Watch with subtitles on, at least the first time, because the Irish accents and slang are part of the fun but can be tricky to follow. 

On FX/Hulu, Welcome to Wrexham is an easy recommendation for any sports fan. Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds are the stars driving this thing, but the show is about more than them. It focuses on the people involved with the team and the community that supports it. The show is a great look at what sports can mean to a community, a family, and the way it can bring people together.

Last one for now is Midnight Mass. It's a slow burn, that boils over into profound moments I just had to tell someone about. Watching it the first time I was comparing it to the best Stephen King, where the supernatural and horror elements are just the catalyst for interpersonal conflicts already present in a small town. It made sense, then, when I learned Mike Flanagan is a huge King fan, and will be making his own adaptation of the Dark Tower. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2023 at 1:37 PM, Reacher said:

Over the last several months have watched the entire seasons for Ozarks, Cobra Kai, the Recruit and Jack Ryan. Peaky Blinders and Schitts Creek are up next. 

Only a few more months until season 2 of Jack Reacher drops!

I have watched-- Jack Ryan Season 3, Terminal List, Jack Reacher, Lincoln Lawyer all very recently. All very good. 

Peaky is my all time favorite. Use subtitles. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

I have watched-- Jack Ryan Season 3, Terminal List, Jack Reacher, Lincoln Lawyer all very recently. All very good. 

Peaky is my all time favorite. Use subtitles. 

48 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Thanks for the hint about subtitles. I have not been using them.

Ha, my wife and I were watching Bad Sisters one night about a month ago. Great, fun series, but the Irish accents are strong. 

I was admittedly pretty high at the time, but suddenly I was like, “Why are the subtitles on? They are speaking English?” But my wife was like listen closer, it’s really hard to understand. As I concentrated a bit more, she was right. I needed the subtitles. Didn’t have any issues until she mentioned. Now, I will use them sometimes. 

• Like 2

Just now, Lostin76 said:

Ha, my wife and I were watching Bad Sisters one night about a month ago. Great, fun series, but the Irish accents are strong. 

I was admittedly pretty high at the time, but suddenly I was like, “Why are the subtitles on? They are speaking English?” But my wife was like listen closer, it’s really hard to understand. As I concentrated a bit more, she was right. I needed the subtitles. Didn’t have any issues until she mentioned. Now, I will use them sometimes. 

I have your typical southern Indiana accent... I talk like I am from KY, at times, I can admit it. Some accents... I flat out cannot understand... lol early on with Peaky for me was ROUGH

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I have your typical southern Indiana accent... I talk like I am from KY, at times, I can admit it. Some accents... I flat out cannot understand... lol early on with Peaky for me was ROUGH

Ha, Gibson County accent reporting for duty, but it’s faded after 20 years here. Although, when I’m back home and talking with family it definitely comes back out. 

And yes, PEAKY absolutely needs subtitles for me! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

1 minute ago, Lostin76 said:

Ha, Gibson County accent reporting for duty, but it’s faded after 20 years here. Although, when I’m back home and talking with family it definitely comes back out. 

And yes, PEAKY absolutely needs subtitles for me! 

I have no idea what you gents are talking about...

I'm from Martinsville and mine is kind of a cross between Sean Connery and David Niven 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not a binger in the sense that I don't like to watch more than one episode at a time.  Therefore, it reduces what I watch.  Just last week, I started watching Season 4 of Manifest.  It was actually released in early November, but I did not want to get started on it during Thanksgiving/Christmas when I'm just too busy to enjoy.  Watched the first episode last Friday and Episode 2 yesterday.  

19 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm not a binger in the sense that I don't like to watch more than one episode at a time.  Therefore, it reduces what I watch.  Just last week, I started watching Season 4 of Manifest.  It was actually released in early November, but I did not want to get started on it during Thanksgiving/Christmas when I'm just too busy to enjoy.  Watched the first episode last Friday and Episode 2 yesterday.  

There are many great shows that work well when binging. But sometimes that makes it an expendable experience and the impact of the project is diminished.

The "water cooler" shows that are released weekly (GoT being the best example) have the ability to generate excitement and social conversation that enhance them beyond the episodes themselves. It stretches out the experience, which is fun too.

I think it's nice to have a blended viewing schedule.

• 3 weeks later...