General Music Thread

IUFLA

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I will post a song in a minute. But a lyrics from yours reminded me of something.

To keep it brief I was trying to save my dad's life but he died in my arms. 

My dad did 2 things every single day. He would call to wake me up so I would go to class my first year in college, then he would call grandma.

After he died I got up every morning and called his phone to hear his voice mail. Then one day it was gone. That was a bad day for me. 

My brother had recently divorced and was living with my mom when he died.  His voice was on her machine.  She never changed it.  I got to hear his voice for almost 6 years after he died until mom passed last year.  Just like you, I treasured each and every time mom's phone went to voice-mail

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You mentioned Alabama.  I had all of their early albums.

You just posted the perfect song. I have their entire discography. This was my dad's anthem. 

My dad was a truck driver, drove fuel trucks ect, most of his career was driving for Jasper Engines.  

One trip he said come along.  We crossed the Ohio River at Owensboro and he said I'm tired you're driving. I'm like, what!

So I drove a semi from Owensboro, KY to Nashville, TN. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My brother had recently divorced and was living with my mom when he died.  His voice was on her machine.  She never changed it.  I got to hear his voice for almost 6 years after he died until mom passed last year.  Just like you, I treasured each and every time mom's phone went to voice-mail

Not sure if I should respond with like or sad emoji. 

I told my sister, who lost her husband last July to record his voice. 

I can remember faces and memories because of pictures.  But when you can't remember the sound of their voice that's when they're really gone. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

You just posted the perfect song. I have their entire discography. This was my dad's anthem. 

My dad was a truck driver, drove fuel trucks ect, most of his career was driving for Jasper Engines.  

One trip he said come along.  We crossed the Ohio River at Owensboro and he said I'm tired you're driving. I'm like, what!

So I drove a semi from Owensboro, KY to Nashville, TN. 

Great story and the best type of memory, one that comes from something unexpected.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not sure if I should respond with like or sad emoji. 

I told my sister, who lost her husband last July to record his voice. 

I can remember faces and memories because of pictures.  But when you can't remember the sound of their voice that's when they're really gone. 

A like is good.  Hearing that voice all those years meant a lot to me.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A like is good.  Hearing that voice all those years meant a lot to me.  

Me too. I miss those voices.

When I was in grade school 2nd or 3rd grade we a class project to interview our grandparents.  So the ones I did, my grandma grew up poor in a sharcropper family, and my grandpa grew up poor too. Both had abusive alcoholic parents.  So I did an interview on a cassette tape for both of them. It's gone now. Wish I still had it. 

My grandpa joined the army at 17 went to Japan in 1947 and kicked ass all the way through Korea an Vietnam.  I applied to get his service records a few years ago. I have most of it but a fire, because my grandpa was from Missouri, some of his records got lost in a fire back in the 70's. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Me too. I miss those voices.

When I was in grade school 2nd or 3rd grade we a class project to interview our grandparents.  So the ones I did, my grandma grew up poor in a sharcropper family, and my grandpa grew up poor too. Both had abusive alcoholic parents.  So I did an interview on a cassette tape for both of them. It's gone now. Wish I still had it. 

My grandpa joined the army at 17 went to Japan in 1947 and kicked ass all the way through Korea an Vietnam.  I applied to get his service records a few years ago. I have most of it but a fire, because my grandpa was from Missouri, some of his records got lost in a fire back in the 70's. 

What was the process like to get service records? I’ve considered it for some great grandparents but haven’t pulled the trigger on FOIA. 

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but In Color by Jamey Johnson is a great song about grandparents. I’d consider it one of the best modern country songs. 

2 hours ago, BeerBQ said:

What was the process like to get service records? I’ve considered it for some great grandparents but haven’t pulled the trigger on FOIA. 

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but In Color by Jamey Johnson is a great song about grandparents. I’d consider it one of the best modern country songs. 

This is how I found them. It takes awhile but just keep on their ass and it will get done. Took about 2 years after I submitted my request.  I called them once a week for updates. 

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

Also, agree with In Color by Jamey Johnson.  Well anything by him is good. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

This is how I found them. It takes awhile but just keep on their ass and it will get done. Took about 2 years after I submitted my request.  I called them once a week for updates. 

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

Also, agree with In Color by Jamey Johnson.  Well anything by him is good. 

I didn’t realize it took that long. Did you have a SSN to submit?

35 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I didn’t realize it took that long. Did you have a SSN to submit?

Well, it was my step dad's dad so that probably held things up. And they weren't old enough to be public record yet. 

Not sure about SSN but after 62 years after discharge all records become public so anything 1960 or older should be easier to get. 

Okay.  On the commute home today from work, this song comes on the radio.  I should note that I have satellite radio, so I can get about any genre I want and switch channels like I do wives. 

Anyway, this song comes on and I start to change the channel, and then thought 'You know what.  I think i kinda want to listen to it.'  And, I did.  The whole song. And, I enjoyed it.

Why do I bring this up? I do because there is no way in hell I'm listening to this song if someone is in the car with me.  it got me thinking, what other songs are out there that fit in that category.

So, I've decided to make it a habit of posting songs I hear on the radio coming home from work, and giving those songs one of these three categories.

• Immediate channel change
  • Only if I'm in car by myself
  • Carload of people approved     

As mentioned, this one fell into the highlighted category.  So, I ask HSN.  Would you vote the same?  Or, do you have a song that would also fall into that category?

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Okay.  On the commute home today from work, this song comes on the radio.  I should note that I have satellite radio, so I can get about any genre I want and switch channels like I do wives. 

Anyway, this song comes on and I start to change the channel, and then thought 'You know what.  I think i kinda want to listen to it.'  And, I did.  The whole song. And, I enjoyed it.

Why do I bring this up? I do because there is no way in hell I'm listening to this song if someone is in the car with me.  it got me thinking, what other songs are out there that fit in that category.

So, I've decided to make it a habit of posting songs I hear on the radio coming home from work, and giving those songs one of these three categories.

As mentioned, this one fell into the highlighted category.  So, I ask HSN.  Would you vote the same?  Or, do you have a song that would also fall into that category?

I love The Nitty Gritty Dirt band, so "carload of people approve." 

If you like older country music this is one of the great albums of all time...NGDB with plenty of help...

• Like 1

Daily Commute Music Update

I'm not sure there is another musical act that makes my ears bleed more than Coldplay.   This one, along with every other Coldplay song I run across, falls into the Immediate Channel Change category.

Edit:  I've never actually heard anyone say they LIKE Coldplay.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Daily Commute Music Update

I'm not sure there is another musical act that makes my ears bleed more than Coldplay.   This one, along with every other Coldplay song I run across, falls into the Immediate Channel Change category.

Edit:  I've never actually heard anyone say they LIKE Coldplay.

Used to be a huge Coldplay fan.  Have been to a few concerts.  Actually the best concert I have ever been to was them at Freedom Hall.  It was just magical.  Right before they exploded.  It was like he was performing with ever fiber in his being.  

I saw them at deer creek once too, not as good as indoor.  The sound and energy just wasn't as thick. 

I got jealous when he married Gweneth.  Haven't listened to them in 13 years.  

• Like 1

Daily Commute Musical Update

Heard this one today.  This song is Carload of People Approved and has a special place in my heart

We have been semi-regular visitors to Disney World as the kids grew up.  During the fall, Disney has an annual Food & Wine Festival at Epcot.  In addition to a lot of good eats and drinks, they have free concerts.  The festival lasts for the better part of 3 months and 25-30 'name' musical acts perform 3 mini-concerts a night for 2-3 nights in a row.

So, about 10 years ago, when my daughter was 4-5 years old, we were there on a night Sugar Ray was performing.  We managed to finagle seats in the 2nd row on the right-hand side of the stage. I had to hold my daughter up so she could see, but was she really into the performance...smiling, laughing, and dancing in my arms. 

Since we were in the 2nd row, she caught the attention of the guitar player on that side of the stage.  He started interacting with her (pointing, waving, etc.).  That got her even more into it.  To make a long story short, when the band played this song, lead singer Mark McGrath meandered over to our side of the stage, and the guitar player directed him to my daughter. 

At that point, McGrath serenaded my daughter for a full verse of the song, and as he walked away told her she was cute.  To make an already special moment even more memorable, the guitar player gave my daughter his guitar pick at the end of the show.    

How could I not like this song after that.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 4

This is one of those songs that falls into one category, but belongs in another.  It's such a great song, it easily qualifies as Carload of people approved, but it's a much better fit for Only if I'm in car by myself.  I like to block out the rest of the world when this one comes on, and that's hard to do when someone else is in the car.

XM radio has several stations 'devoted' to a particular artist (Beatles, Tom Petty, Garth, etc.).  In Garth's case it's not a station I go to a lot.  I like early Garth, but the station is found on the 'dial' with the country centric stations, and I don't venture in their direction that often.  I could program my setup so Garth's is with other stations I listen to, but I'm pretty anal when it comes to certain things, and my stations need to appear in strict numerical order.

The 'Garth' Channel is a little misleading,  They usually only play one or two of his songs an hour, and the rest of the time is filled with songs by other artists.  And, occasionally there are short snippets where Garth talks about his music or the music of someone else.  The trick to catching his songs on the station is to listen around the top of the hour.  The vast majority of time, they play his song in the window between 5 till the hour and 5 after the hour.

Today, I got in the car after work and had a hankering for Garth, so I flipped back to his station.  Hit the jackpot when they played this one.  Probably my favorite of his. 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

Took the day off work, but was still out and about, and I know how important this is to your day.  I have several friends that consider this a classic.  I just don't get it.  When it came on this afternoon, the result was Immediate Channel Change.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2022 at 6:01 PM, 5fouls said:

This is an ‘only if I’m in the car by myself” b/c I don’t want people to see me cry. 

• Like 1