General Music Thread

IUFLA

Daily Commute Musical Update

Okay, no actual commute to work today due to this 'little' ice storm outside today.  But, here's a song I came across earlier this week.  Some background.  XM has a station dedicated to the Beatles.  I love the Beatles.  I should be in heaven.  Correct?    Unfortunately, not.  Apparently, the strategy of this station is to play anything and everything except good Beatles music.  I've probably only heard 'Let It Be' twice in the last 12 months.  The only one of their  best known songs I hear with any regularity is 'Hey Jude'.

What do we hear?  A bunch of obscure, and frankly not that good, Beatles tunes along with anything and everything these guys did as a solo artist.  John has some good solo stuff.  As does Paul.  George has some really solid solo tracks as well.  Ringo?  Ringo sounds like a dying frog.  Hence, when I flipped over to the Beatles channel to see what was on, and it was this tune, we had an Immediate Channel Change.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Spotify is like a bank for me. Maybe I'd switch, but it's too much work. I got Spotify the day it was available in the US. This is where all my playlist are pinned albums/songs are. Also, this is where most of my 'music friends' reside - where we share playlists. 

There are also so many off-shoots that require Spotify premium. During the day while I work I virtually hang out with some music friends in an online DJing room called JQBX. I just got introduced to this awesome new game called Music League where every week a theme is picked and everybody in your league (about 12 people) submits a song anonymously. You then vote on the songs (you have 6 thumbs up votes and 1 thumbs down vote to use). Once everybody votes then the results are revealed. A running tally is kept throughout the weeks. For example, last week's theme in our league was songs with a great saxophone solo. 

I know Spotify has been promising better quality forever, but it's about the community with them. I also think they have better algorithms if you're looking for new music vs just satisfying your thirst for nostalgia. I like their interface a lot too, but that's because I'm very familiar with it.  

...and if you were interested, my 'sax' submission won last week:

It took some work to Finally dig back in my antique mind to remember, but a band I enjoyed back in the 70’s 

IF

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Absolutely.  I doubt many people know Tom Petty worked as a grounds keeper for the University of Florida and had guitar lessons with Don Felder of the Eagles.

Tom Petty is in my top 5.

He’s one of my go to artists. If I’m doing something and want to put on one artist he’s tough to beat. He has so many great songs and about no bad ones. That’s tough to beat. 

• Like 2

Back in the early to mid-80's, I had Hank Jr's Greatest Hits on cassette.  I played the crap out of that album.  I don't listen to Country music much anymore.  But, it's always a good memory when I stumble across one of those country songs of my youth.  Carload of People Approved. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

One of my all time favorites, by one of my all times favorites...Great LP all the way around too...But I love Charlie's lyrics here...

True story.  Other than The National Anthem, 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia' is the only song I've ever memorized all the lyrics.  I think I was 11 or 12 when it came out and I thought it was such a cool song.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

True story.  Other than The National Anthem, 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia' is the only song I've ever memorized all the lyrics.  I think I was 11 or 12 when it came out and I thought it was such a cool song.  

I went and saw The Charlie Daniels Band (along with Sea Level, a band started by former Allman Brothers Band member Chuck Leavell) in 1978 or 79 (Million Mile Reflections tour) at Market Square Arena. When he played "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" he had a lot of rosin on his bow and it looked like smoke coming off of it... surreal...one of the better concerts I went to...The CDB rocked...

• Like 2

Speaking of the Allman Bros, here's one of the all time great jams...two great guitar solos, the first by Duane Allman, who is one of the 3 or 4 best ever, followed by Dickie Betts who was no slouch himself...

23 minutes, but hey, got me charged up for the game 

• Like 1

I never liked this song.  But, the one or two times a year I hear it, I'm compelled to listen to it for some reason.  Acid flashback?  I never did acid, so that can't be it.  And, as far as I know, my parents didn't either.  Whatever the reason, this one falls into a unique category.  Songs I Don't Like but Listen to Anyway

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I never liked this song.  But, the one or two times a year I hear it, I'm compelled to listen to it for some reason.  Acid flashback?  I never did acid, so that can't be it.  And, as far as I know, my parents didn't either.  Whatever the reason, this one falls into a unique category.  Songs I Don't Like but Listen to Anyway

I figured you to be a KISS guy...

Bod Dylan has sold more than 125 million records.  In 2011, Rolling Stone Magazine ranked him as the 2nd greatest artist in music history.  I can't stand Bob Dylan's music.  He's Immediate Channel Change material for me.  So, you can imagine how blessed I was to get a daily double of Dylan tunes during my commute today.  One going to work and another coming home (shown below in order).  The old fingers got a workout changing the channels.  Still got some speed in them old bones as well.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bod Dylan has sold more than 125 million records.  In 2011, Rolling Stone Magazine ranked him as the 2nd greatest artist in music history.  I can't stand Bob Dylan's music.  He's Immediate Channel Change material for me.  So, you can imagine how blessed I was to get a daily double of Dylan tunes during my commute today.  One going to work and another coming home (shown below in order).  The old fingers got a workout changing the channels.  Still got some speed in them old bones as well.

I love Dylan...what is it you don't like? The voice? Lyrics? Not picking at you, just curious (btw, you're not in the minority)...

Listen to "Nashville Skyline" sometime...get beyond the first song (duet with Johnny Cash) and it's great..."Blonde on Blonde" is as well...

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 3:50 PM, 5fouls said:

Back in the early to mid-80's, I had Hank Jr's Greatest Hits on cassette.  I played the crap out of that album.  I don't listen to Country music much anymore.  But, it's always a good memory when I stumble across one of those country songs of my youth.  Carload of People Approved. 

I have the 45 of this and it never fails to bring a smile to my face. If I’ve had a few beers, then it gets a few spins. Loud. 

On 2/8/2022 at 5:38 PM, IUFLA said:

Speaking of the Allman Bros, here's one of the all time great jams...two great guitar solos, the first by Duane Allman, who is one of the 3 or 4 best ever, followed by Dickie Betts who was no slouch himself...

23 minutes, but hey, got me charged up for the game 

God I love this album. Probably my favorite of theirs, though Eat a Peach and Brothers and Sisters gets a lot of rotation around here.

Not sure if you’ve heard of Ween (a lot of people hate them, but they are good musicians and super clever), but they have a song called Dickie Betts that is pretty damn good. 

• Like 2