General Music Thread

IUFLA

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Fair enough...I've tried to convert a few people, but the only one that fell for it was my youngest daughter...

It's not any single thing.  The voice is different, but so is Tom Petty's.  And, I love Tom Petty.  Could be as simple as he broke out a little before my time.  So, I never really listened to him growing up.   

• Like 1

I mentioned my music league a few pages back. This week's theme was 'deep cuts' - songs many may not know by a well known band. My music OCD-ness forced me to create a list of all the songs that I was considering. I ultimately went with Suzanne by Weezer for my submission (which for some reason is not doing so hot in the voting). Here's my list...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Did you watch Get Back yet? It was so interesting for me to see their dynamic as a group. Kinda felt bad for George, but his confidence seemed to be shot. 

I haven't...Netflix?

The very first 45 I ever bought was "Eight Days a Week" with a flip side of "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party." I was 7.

Paul and John were great songwriters, but most of my favorites are written by George...Including "What is Life?" (solo) which is my favorite song of all time...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I haven't...Netflix?

The very first 45 I ever bought was "Eight Days a Week" with a flip side of "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party." I was 7.

Paul and John were great songwriters, but most of my favorites are written by George...Including "What is Life?" (solo) which is my favorite song of all time...

Disney Plus. Luckily we got that for free with our cell phone deal. It is long, but definitely worth the watch and it shows the moment George quit the band for a short time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I haven't...Netflix?

It's on Disney+. I'd recommend getting the free trial just to watch the documentary. But you have to be really into the Beatles, which I believe you are. Some have said it's boring, but if you know the back stories pretty well then it's really interesting. It's one thing to read about it in books, but to see their personalities and how they interacted with each other was awesome, IMO. 

Also awesome to see the creation of the songs on Let It Be, but you also see a lot snippets of songs in their infancy that made it onto Abby Road. Paul really pushed the band (for good or bad), but that guy is just a genius. 

edit: Warning - watching that documentary may make you sick of the song Get Back. haha.

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

Daily Commute Musical Update

Heard this one on the way home tonight.  Steve Winwood is an underrated artist, who is mostly forgotten today.  He had some better-known songs (While You See a Chance, Higher Love, Back in the High Life, and Roll With It).  Higher Love even won a couple of Grammys.  This one is not as well known.   But, it is unique, and I will listen to it when it comes on.  That said, it's one I would probably prefer to listen to Only In Car By Myself.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Heard this one on the way home tonight.  Steve Winwood is an underrated artist, who is mostly forgotten today.  He had some better-known songs (While You See a Chance, Higher Love, Back in the High Life, and Roll With It).  Higher Love even won a couple of Grammys.  This one is not as well known.   But, it is unique, and I will listen to it when it comes on.  That said, it's one I would probably prefer to listen to Only In Car By Myself.

Thank you my friend, if I’m in the car, Car Load Approved!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Thank you my friend, if I’m in the car, Car Load Approved!

Don't get me wrong.  I like it well enough for it to be Carload of People Approved.  But, to enjoy it to the greatest degree, it's better if you are alone.  Better environment to take in the unique quality of the song. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Winwood is phenomenal. He was singing with the Spencer-Davis Group when he was 14, and co-wrote this classic at the tender young age of 18...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I used to listen to Winwood a decent amount back in the day. I'm glad you posted this...I will give him a listen this weekend. And I agree, he is underrated.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I inherited a bunch of his vinyls from my Dad.....along with the Traffic and Spencer Davis albums. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I inherited a bunch of his vinyls from my Dad.....along with the Traffic and Spencer Davis albums. 

My parents were 100% country music, with some gospel thrown in if it was sung by a country artist.  Dad passed when I was in college back in the 80's.  But mom didn't pass until last year.  I now have literally hundreds of Country music albums from the 60's and 70's.  I think I counted over 20 Johnny Cash albums alone.  Cash was my dad's favorite.  At some point I need to sort through and decide which ones I want to keep, which ones might fetch something if tried to sell it, and which ones aren't worth keeping or trying to sell.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

My parents were 100% country music, with some gospel thrown in if it was sung by a country artist.  Dad passed when I was in college back in the 80's.  But mom didn't pass until last year.  I now have literally hundreds of Country music albums from the 60's and 70's.  I think I counted over 20 Johnny Cash albums alone.  Cash was my dad's favorite.  At some point I need to sort through and decide which ones I want to keep, which ones might fetch something if tried to sell it, and which ones aren't worth keeping or trying to sell.  

You'd be surprised at how little most albums are worth on vinyl. The ones that fetch a lot of money are certain pressings from date x to date y. My Dad was even an audiophile who went out of his way to get the British imports because they sounded better. He thought he had a rare pressing of The White Album that he kept in a plastic jacket and it only ended of being valued around $25. The most valuable one that I found was the Axis Bold as Love BackTrack 11 (with green cover) and it probably fetched only $50 when all is said and done. Sellers ask a lot for it, but don't necessarily get what they are listing it at. 

Another interesting thing I found in my research is the the Sticky Fingers with out the real zipper is pretty valuable, which is funny because many think that zipper makes it rare, but that's how they were all sold. 

• Like 1