General Music Thread

IUFLA

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

This is an ‘only if I’m in the car by myself” b/c I don’t want people to see me cry. 

I remember a party I hosted. One not so much a friend hated this song. I had it on vinyl, I kept going back inside to replay the song until he started to complain. It was a good party!

• Haha 3

Sometimes I'll listen to a song more for who is singing it than the song itself.  Heard this one while on my way back from Indy today.  It's Carload of People Approved, for the sole reason that Susanna Hoffs is singing it.  She could sing me the phone book or the Purdue fight song and I would still love every minute of it.  By contrast, if say, Cher sang this song, the channel would immediately get changed.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

Went to the grocery earlier today and this one came on.  I'm not a Springsteen fan at all.  My wife absolutely hates his music.  But, this is one that resonates with me.  By far, my favorite song of his.  I'll listen to it.  I'll enjoy it.  But, Only if I'm in car by myself.  

Edited by 5fouls

6 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

@5foulsmentioned the Bangles lead singer as someone he could listen to all the time sing almost anything and here is mine. Norah Jones has amazing voice. I was happy she came out with a Christmas album this year, which I bought. But here is one of her first songs I ever heard...

I love me some Norah Jones as well.  I have all of her early albums.  XM Radio played a bunch of her Christmas stuff on one of their Christmas stations, but it's rare I hear any of her regular music on any of their channels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Went to the grocery earlier today and this one came on.  I'm not a Springsteen fan at all.  My wife absolutely hates his music.  But, this is one that resonates with me.  By far, my favorite song of his.  I'll listen to it.  I'll enjoy it.  But, Only if I'm in car by myself.  

I like The Boss ok...not an all time favorite, but I the "The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle" is one of the best albums start to finish, ever...I do think he sold out a bit with the "Born in the USA" LP...

My favorite cut off of "The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle"

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

Daily Commute Musical Update

If I'm in the car by myself, this is usually an Immediate Channel Change.  However, if someone is in there with me, it's 100% of the time Carload of People Approved.  by pure definition, not a Rick Roll, but you get to give them a little taste of it by making them listen.

When I heard it today, it also brought a smile to my face.  Several years ago, I Rick-Rolled this board.  I don't recall if presented it as game highlights, a press conference, or something else.  I just remember HTD, bless his Hoosier loving heart, quoting my post and saying, "5fouls, I don't know what's wrong.  All I'm getting is music with some guy dancing around."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/1/2022 at 6:17 PM, 5fouls said:

Daily Commute Musical Update

According to YouTube, this song has had 412,102,438 views.  That means over 400 million people intentionally wasted 4 minutes of their life.  Immediate Channel Change for this crap.

Next time it comes on you should try to stop, collaborate and listen. :coffee:

I remember some kids from my school went to see him in concert when this song was huge...he was touring with MC Hammer. 🤣

• Like 1

What streaming service (if any) does everyone use? Do you like it and what are your pros/cons?

I have a decent sized cd collection and a smaller (but growing) record collection. However, I use streaming quite a bit as well, especially with my young kids, so I can quickly play their favorite/requested songs. Also, I use it to play mix lists, if I don't want to just listen to one specific artist. I also stream using my Iphone with dongle dac and headphones often at night.

Currently I use Apple Music, since they offer "lossless" quality and I received a free subscription when I upgraded my Iphone in the fall. I like it....happy with the sound quality and good sized catalog of music.

I have a 3 month Tidal subscription as well. I wanted to try it out and I like it as well. Again, good sound quality, large catalog of music. I haven't decided if I will keep it beyond trial period yet.

I had a 3 month trial of Amazon Music. Not as good sound quality as the others I mentioned and quirky app. I didn't like it, despite having Amazon Prime, and cancelled it when trial was up.

I don't like Spotify either. Sound quality not as good as Apple and Tidal. I did like using their app better than most, and when I did use them (a year or so back) they had large catalog of music.

A few I am interested in finding more about are Qobuz, Deezer, and Pandora Premium. Sound quality and large music catalogs are important to me. When I was younger, I played lots of music on crappy MP3s and am at a point in my life where I appreciate the better quality sound (although I'm no audiofile).

After trying all of them pretty much, I’ve settled on Apple Music. I did like Qubuz for the high quality of files, but the iPad app was supper buggy for me. So much so, that I cancelled my subscription twice in the last 6 months. Kept going back for the quality and deep jazz selection, but just too annoying to use on a daily basis.

Apple Music has been pretty great so far. We also had family plan Spotify, but cancelled after trying Apple Music. 

for your growing record collection you might want to check out Discogs if you haven’t already. Great for cataloging your collection and maintaining a want list of albums. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

After trying all of them pretty much, I’ve settled on Apple Music. I did like Qubuz for the high quality of files, but the iPad app was supper buggy for me. So much so, that I cancelled my subscription twice in the last 6 months. Kept going back for the quality and deep jazz selection, but just too annoying to use on a daily basis.

Apple Music has been pretty great so far. We also had family plan Spotify, but cancelled after trying Apple Music. 

for your growing record collection you might want to check out Discogs if you haven’t already. Great for cataloging your collection and maintaining a want list of albums. 

Appreciate the input. I have bought records from Discogs before, but I haven't organized my records yet. I still have under 150, so not too hard to keep tabs on so far. I do like having a "want list" on Discogs, to keep track of albums I am looking for.

Qobuz is irritating me at the moment. I received a free three month trial when I bought a new SVS subwoofer in November. I went to redeem it the other day and it is trying to only give me 30 days. Oh well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Appreciate the input. I have bought records from Discogs before, but I haven't organized my records yet. I still have under 150, so not too hard to keep tabs on so far. I do like having a "want list" on Discogs, to keep track of albums I am looking for.

Qobuz is irritating me at the moment. I received a free three month trial when I bought a new SVS subwoofer in November. I went to redeem it the other day and it is trying to only give me 30 days. Oh well.

One thing to note with Discogs is that it’s MUCH easier to input albums when you are still at 150 albums. It gets to be a lot more work once you have hundreds of albums. Learned this when I spent several weekends entering over 500 albums! 

Also nice to be able to track the value of your collection. Plus, I just love seeing the grid of album covers in my collection. 

Bummer about your Qubuz trial. They do have a great selection. I’ve not found much that isn’t in Apple Music though. 

• Like 1

I use YouTube music (formerly Google Play Music) simply because I have an Android phone and it works better with Google Assistant, especially when using Android Auto. I think Apple music works as well, and 4 of the 6 on my streaming family plan use Apple phones, but I PAY the bill...

To the payer goes the spoils 😁

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 1

Spotify is like a bank for me. Maybe I'd switch, but it's too much work. I got Spotify the day it was available in the US. This is where all my playlist are pinned albums/songs are. Also, this is where most of my 'music friends' reside - where we share playlists. 

There are also so many off-shoots that require Spotify premium. During the day while I work I virtually hang out with some music friends in an online DJing room called JQBX. I just got introduced to this awesome new game called Music League where every week a theme is picked and everybody in your league (about 12 people) submits a song anonymously. You then vote on the songs (you have 6 thumbs up votes and 1 thumbs down vote to use). Once everybody votes then the results are revealed. A running tally is kept throughout the weeks. For example, last week's theme in our league was songs with a great saxophone solo. 

I know Spotify has been promising better quality forever, but it's about the community with them. I also think they have better algorithms if you're looking for new music vs just satisfying your thirst for nostalgia. I like their interface a lot too, but that's because I'm very familiar with it.  

...and if you were interested, my 'sax' submission won last week:

• Like 2

I don't stream because just about the only time I listen is in the car, and we have XM for that.  I have a very nice CD collection, but only pull it out if I'm home alone, especially when doing work around the house.  I like to have it loud so I can hear it when I move from room to room.  And, with the wife working from home full time, and with two kids hanging around (when the hell they moving out), being home alone just doesn't happen that often.  

• Like 1