General Music Thread

IUFLA

32 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There is a short list of songs that, when I hear them on the radio, I hope I'm alone so I can take all the words in.  I heard this one today.  Unfortunately, my wife was in the car with me and talked through the whole thing.  Maybe next time.

Time to get a new wife.

16 hours ago, 5fouls said:

There is a short list of songs that, when I hear them on the radio, I hope I'm alone so I can take all the words in.  I heard this one today.  Unfortunately, my wife was in the car with me and talked through the whole thing.  Maybe next time.

I cannot keep it together any time I hear this song. Based on your parameters from this thread, this is definitely a song that I listen to with an empty car.

• Like 2

Speaking of sad songs and exposing my music obscure 'dorkism', Pitchfork asked on social media the other week: what are your favorite sad songs. These 4 immediately came to mind. Sure, they are off the beaten path but with pre-text may be worth the listen if you're on the hunt for new music to listen to. I also like to reiterate my point to people who say 'music is not good anymore': there's outstanding and innovative music out there you just need to be open to it and look for it. If you give the songs a shot, I hope you enjoy them.....

1 Jason Isbell - Elephant: The elephant in the room is that she is dying of cancer. Death is uncomfortable to talk about and sometimes we think that be comforting to the dying is not talking about it at all. "surrounded by her family, I saw that she was dying alone."

2. Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day: From the first verse you'll know the song is about losing someone to cancer. But what gets you is the imagery and his struggle with God for taking ones we love. 

3. Bright Eyes - Poison Oak: This song is about the song writer (Conner Oberst) losing his cousin, who struggled from depression and drugs, from suicide. He sings: "I'm glad you got away, but I'm still stuck out here. My shirt is soaking wet, from your brother's tears."

4. Typhoon - Empiricist: This song is off of a concept album called Offerings. Just listening to the song is like plucking a scene out of a movie. The whole album is an emotional trip that tells a story about a man who's losing his memory. The album takes you all the way up to his death and into the after life. The imagery on this particular song of a man waking up in the middle of the night in the dark not knowing where he is and then being at his birthday party and not knowing anyone is crushing. "So blow out your past lives like they're candles on the cake"

Edited by tdhoosier

Special category for tonight.

Going to call this category 'The 10 Second Rule'.  Not an immediate channel change, but not one I'm going to listen all the way through.  I have to listen to about 10 seconds to get a couple of shimmies in, but there is no way I'm listening to the whole song.  More than 10 seconds and it becomes a turnover.  

• Like 2