General Music Thread

IUFLA

I was going to say there's only a handful of artists that you could get 30 (good) days out of...

Springsteen would be the logical next choice simply because I see him as the east coast, more urban Mellencamp. But I don't know if you're a fan or not. He's certainly got the library...

Or you could go genre... Southern rock, pop, progressive, metal... 

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was going to say there's only a handful of artists that you could get 30 (good) days out of...

Springsteen would be the logical next choice simply because I see him as the east coast, more urban Mellencamp. But I don't know if you're a fan or not. He's certainly got the library...

Or you could go genre... Southern rock, pop, progressive, metal... 

Actually, probably going to take a break with trying to post something every day.  Maybe at the beginning of the year, I start a one a week theme for 2023.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, rico said:

That has me thinking about what artists/groups would qualify?

Obvious ones like The Beatles, Elvis, The Rolling Stones, Springsteen, ect...

Some, like Bowie or Dylan (and I like both very much) might not have a mass appeal library because some simply don't like their music... 

• Like 1

Okay, I was thinking last night about my next music list and came up with an idea I'm excited about.  I'm not going to post very day, probably something like twice a week.  That does two things.  First, it takes pressure off of me to remember every day (if you look at the time stamp, I almost forgot Day 30 of Mellencamp, for instance).  The second reason is that this can be more of an interactive exercise, where the rest of you can contribute as well, if you so choose.

Anyway, so here is the idea I came up with.  I was born in 1965.  Yes, that was a long time ago.  But, during that time, there has been a lot of great music.  So, my thought is that a couple of times each week, I will post a song from each year of my life, starting in 1965.  The song will have some sort of meaning to me which I will try to articulate.  The next song I post in a few days will be from 1966, etc.

For the most part, I will likely be choosing a song from the Billboard Top 100 list of that year.  This is primarily because I don't necessarily recall what years songs came out.  Unfortunately, the list does not cover every genre.  So, I will not limit myself to that list.  If there is a song that I want to make sure gets posted, and it's not on the list, I'll go find what year it came out and post it accordingly.

Anyway, below is a link to the list I was working from for 1965.  A handful of candidates were considered, especially some of the Beatles stuff.   I really got into the Beatles later in life.  But, they weren't really something I listened to when I was young, so I decided to go that route instead.

Also, if there is something on the list, or any song from 1965 that you would like to mention, share it.  Let's not just have this be my list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1965

Songs of My Life:  1965

My parents listened to country music when I was growing up, and a lot of it.  So, when I was super young, I was not exposed to other types of music.  But, at some point when I was about 8, I got a record player of my own and one of the first albums I got was a collection of songs by various artists from the 50's and 60's presumably hand selected by Dick Clark to put together on an album.  

This song was one of my favorites on that album and is #30 on the list of top Songs of 1965.  And, the video has some nice moments as well, if you are inclined to watch.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Okay, I was thinking last night about my next music list and came up with an idea I'm excited about.  I'm not going to post very day, probably something like twice a week.  that does two things.  First, it takes pressure off of me to remember every day (if you look at the time stamp, I almost forgot Day 30 of Mellencamp, for instance).  The second reason is that this can be more of an interactive exercise, where the rest of you can contribute as well, if you so choose.

Anyway, so here is the idea I came up with.  I was born in 1965.  Yes, that was a long time ago.  But, during that time, there has been a lot of great music.  So, my though is that a couple of times each week, I will post a song from each year of my life, starting in 1965.  The song will have some sort of meaning to me which I will try to articulate.  The next song I post in a few days will be from 1966, etc.

For the most part, I will likely be choosing a song from the Billboard Top 100 list of that year.  This is primarily because I don't necessarily recall what years songs came out.  Unfortunately, that does not cover every genre.  So, I will not limit myself to that list.  If there is a song that I want to make sure post, and it's not on the list, I'll go find what year it came out and post it accordingly.

Anyway, below is a link to the list I was working from for 1965.  A handful of candidates I considered, especially some of the Beatles stuff.   I really got into the Beatles later in life.  But, they weren't really something I listened to when I was young, so I decided to go that route instead.

Also, if there is something on the list, or any song from 1965 that you would like to mention, share it.  Let's not just have this be my list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1965

Songs of My Life:  1965

My parents listened to country music when I was growing up, and a lot of it.  So, when I was super young, I was not exposed to other types of music.  But, at some point when I was about 8, I got a record player of my own and one of the first albums I got was a collection of songs by various artists from the 50's and 60's presumably hand selected by Dick Clark to put together on an album.  

This song was one of my favorites on that album and is #30 on the list of top Songs of 1965.  And, the video has some nice moments as well, if you are inclined to watch.

Ahh the 60’s when undergarments were optional.

• Haha 1

The first song on the album, Rubber Soul, that transitioned The Beatles from essentially a 60s "boy band" to the cultural and music icons they are...this song was not on the initial North American release... Released in December, 1965... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The first song on the album, Rubber Soul, that transitioned The Beatles from essentially a 60s "boy band" to the cultural and music icons they are...this song was not on the initial North American release... Released in December, 1965... 

In My Life is probably my favorite song off Rubber Soul.

• Like 1