General Music Thread

IUFLA

Songs of My Life:  1972

My favorite Elton John song.  This song puts me in a reflective mood like no other can.   I think I said it before in this thread, but it's worth saying again.  The piano is the perfect musical instrument.  A well-played piano performance elevates a song like no other instrument can.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Songs of My Life:  1972

My favorite Elton John song.  This song puts me in a reflective mood like no other can.   I think I said it before in this thread, but it's worth saying again.  The piano is the perfect musical instrument.  A well-played piano performance elevates a song like no other instrument can.

Love this song so much. Are you a jazz fan at all? I took a jazz class at IU (David Baker - and AJ Guyton was in my class)and fell totally in love with jazz - much of the reason is that piano in jazz is such a central part. Thelonious Monk, Bud Powell, Bud Evans, Sonny Clark, etc. those dudes can make a piano sing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Love this song so much. Are you a jazz fan at all? I took a jazz class at IU (David Baker - and AJ Guyton was in my class)and fell totally in love with jazz - much of the reason is that piano in jazz is such a central part. Thelonious Monk, Bud Powell, Bud Evans, Sonny Clark, etc. those dudes can make a piano sing

I really enjoy live jazz music and I have a handful of old jazz cds.  But, I dont listen to it on a regular basis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Love this song so much. Are you a jazz fan at all? I took a jazz class at IU (David Baker - and AJ Guyton was in my class)and fell totally in love with jazz - much of the reason is that piano in jazz is such a central part. Thelonious Monk, Bud Powell, Bud Evans, Sonny Clark, etc. those dudes can make a piano sing. 

I took that class and Jared Jeffries was in it. Jared Jeffries actually mentioned it in a podcast. 

The class was great but it was on Friday morning and you couldn't skip it because he'd have quizzes. I was hungover for most of those Friday classes and never learned my lesson because Thursday night was the best night to go out! Priorities. 

David Baker always reminded me of Leon Phelps, the Ladies' Man because he talked just like him and referred to cool people as 'cats'. A true jazz legend. Would have loved to share a glass of Courvoisier with him. haha.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

1972 was a good year 

My Georgia neighbor told me the girl I bought the property from was friends with the Allman Brothers. Whenever they were touring close by they would park thier busses on the property. One night she came outside and fired off several rounds from her pistol. Soon the busses fired up and left never to return.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I took that class and Jared Jeffries was in it. Jared Jeffries actually mentioned it in a podcast. 

The class was great but it was on Friday morning and you couldn't skip it because he'd have quizzes. I was hungover for most of those Friday classes and never learned my lesson because Thursday night was the best night to go out! Priorities. 

David Baker always reminded me of Leon Phelps, the Ladies' Man because he talked just like him and referred to cool people as 'cats'. A true jazz legend. Would have loved to share a glass of Courvoisier with him. haha.  

Ha, I thought the same thing about him. Loved that dude. And honestly, the class was tough. You had to pay attention. But I learned a lot about jazz and developed my taste a bit more. I was mostly into Metallica and grunge back then. 

I actually have an album of his on vinyl. Found it in the West Village at a record shop. 

• Like 1

Songs of My Life:  1973

Kind of feel like I'm cheating here since I featured a piano based song for 1972, but this is one of my favorite songs of all time, so it has to be included on my list.  I love the piano, of course, but I also really the conversational tone of lyrics.

A little story on this one as well.  I literally have no idea what kind of music my kids (18 and 16) listen to.  They have headphones and/or air pods, so you can't hear what they are listening to.  They have playlists on their phones, so you can't see what they are listening to.  And, of course, they don't share any information with dad and mom.  

Anyway, this song comes on the radio a few months ago with my daughter in the car.  She starts singing along.  I ask, "You like this song?"  She says "Yeah."  I ask "Where have you ever heard it?"  She says "On some TV show.".  Nothing super earth-shattering about that, but, it was nice to find out that she and I had a least one common song with both liked.

• Like 3

Songs of My Life:  1975

I was 9 years old when this song came out.  It was one of the first songs that I can recall actually being interested in at the time it was released.  All of the other songs I've listed so far are ones that I came to enjoy as I got older, or are remembered from what my parents listened to.

I wasn't good with lyrics (never have been), so I walked around singing the words 'Like a Rhinestone Cowboy' over and over.  I knew some of the other words, but not well enough string them together in the order they went.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Songs of My Life:  1975

I was 9 years old when this song came out.  It was one of the first songs that I can recall actually being interested in at the time it was released.  All of the other songs I've listed so far are ones that I came to enjoy as I got older, or are remembered from what my parents listened to.

I wasn't good with lyrics (never have been), so I walked around singing the words 'Like a Rhinestone Cowboy' over and over.  I knew some of the other words, but not well enough string them together in the order they went.

Glen Campbell is grossly underrated as an entertainer and especially as a guitar player... 

Playing Mason Williams' "Classical Gas"

• Like 1