General Music Thread

IUFLA

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Despite their name, their best work was not their surf music.  Before his breakdown, Brian Wilson was truly a genius.  In my opinion, the harmonies he compiled are unmatched. 

Great article on The Beatles-Beach Boys rivalry and how "Rubber Soul" spurred "Pet Sounds" which in turn led to "Revolver" and "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club." 

Note: the website that article is on is called "Brooklyn Vegan." @Lostin76, you didn't write that, did you? 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Great article on The Beatles-Beach Boys rivalry and how "Rubber Soul" spurred "Pet Sounds" which in turn led to "Revolver" and "Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club." 

Note: the website that article is on is called "Brooklyn Vegan." @Lostin76, you didn't write that, did you? 😉

I always enjoyed this story. 

The Beach Boys are one of my favorite bands ever. As well known as they are, I still think they’re under-rated in music history. The Beatles were able to escape their boy band/‘bubble gum’ period. The Beach Boys never could escape that label even though their late 60s songs were just as deep and complex. The layers of sound and harmonies that make up Good Vibrations, never cease to amaze me. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

So I have to post a song off of "Blonde on Blonde" (released in 1966) by Bob Dylan...

I know, I know... The voice is hard to get over... But his influence is undeniable, and he's the master of ambiguous lyrics... I love this line from this song... 

"Waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of
Going through all these things twice" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Ha, no but they are a good music-focused website. That’s where I found the Cliff Burton action figure for @mrflynn03. That was a great read. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So I have to post a song off of "Blonde on Blonde" (released in 1966) by Bob Dylan...

I know, I know... The voice is hard to get over... But his influence is undeniable, and he's the master of ambiguous lyrics... I love this line from this song... 

"Waiting to find out what price
You have to pay to get out of
Going through all these things twice" 

Tangled up in Blue was always my favorite Dylan song.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Tangled up in Blue was always my favorite Dylan song.

I like "Blood on the Tracks" as a whole...and "Tangled Up in Blue" is an awesome number...

I think my favorite Dylan LP is "Nashville Skyline." The first number on the album "Girl from North County" is a little uneven, but the rest of it is awesome stuff... More country slanted than stuff he did before... 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I like "Blood on the Tracks" as a whole...and "Tangled Up in Blue" is an awesome number...

I think my favorite Dylan LP is "Nashville Skyline." The first number on the album "Girl from North County" is a little uneven, but the rest of it is awesome stuff... More country slanted than stuff he did before... 

Hurricane was always a top choice as well.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Dylan was not someone I could ever get into.  Just couldn't get past the voice to hear/understand the message.

Yeah, like I said, I understand...

22 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Hendrix covered 5 of Dylan’s songs like All along the Watchtower. Maybe you prefer those.

Whole lot of musicians have covered a whole lot of Dylan's songs...

The late Olivia Newton-John's first hit single was a Dylan cover..."If Not For You." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Do you remember??

https://youtu.be/Gs069dndIYk

To tie this up in a neat bow 🙂

So, two songs on The Beatles 1966 album "Revolver" were basically odes to weed... First, Lennon's "Doctor Robert" ... 

And McCartney's "Got To Get You Into My Life" (which was issued as a single 10 years after "Revolver")

Which was covered by Earth, Wind, and Fire"

I just love happy endings 🙂

• Like 2

This week in my music league we did Album closers: songs that conclude an album brilliantly. I thought for sure people were going to submit the low hanging fruit, obvious choices like 'A Day in the Life' or 'Purple Rain', but we reached deep for other songs.

I went with Sir Psycho Sexy off of Blood Sugar Sex Magic. If you can get past the vulgarity, the outro to this song is one of brilliance. The Hendrix-y chord progression doesn't seem to follow any rules and I love it: [Em] [Eb] [Bb] [D] [Ab] [Eb] [Cm] [Ab] [G]

What epic album closers do you have? 

Here is just the outro because the beginning may not be safe for work. haha.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

This week in my music league we did Album closers: songs that conclude an album brilliantly. I thought for sure people were going to submit the low hanging fruit, obvious choices like 'A Day in the Life' or 'Purple Rain', but we reached deep for other songs.

I went with Sir Psycho Sexy off of Blood Sugar Sex Magic. If you can get past the vulgarity, the outro to this song is one of brilliance. The Hendrix-y chord progression doesn't seem to follow any rules and I love it: [Em] [Eb] [Bb] [D] [Ab] [Eb] [Cm] [Ab] [G]

Did anybody in your music league mention "Rock and Roll Suicide" from Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust"?

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Did anybody in your music league mention "Rock and Roll Suicide" from Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust"?

No, but this would've done really well. Maybe I need to consult you before my my picks. haha

Next week is duets: I'm anticipating some Bowie (Under Pressure) for that theme. I'm personally leaning towards 'If I Could' by Phish.

or I'll just troll them with this.

https://youtu.be/oflbCHWZCBU

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Hurt by NIN is pretty dang good. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

No, but this would've done really well. Maybe I need to consult you before my my picks. haha

Next week is duets: I'm anticipating some Bowie (Under Pressure) for that theme. I'm personally leaning towards 'If I Could' by Phish.

or I'll just troll them with this.

https://youtu.be/oflbCHWZCBU

As far as weirdest (but actually pretty good stuff) there was the Bing Crosby/David Bowie Christmas collaboration on "Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth" 

🙂