General Music Thread

IUFLA

Music related….

I was tasked with trying to find Taylor Swift tickets for my wife, daughter, sister in law and nieces. Haha. Tall order.

I’m no dummy. I knew there was a slight chance of finding any, let alone 6 right next to each other’s. I still find it funny (but welcome) that all the Swifties are up in arms about Ticketmaster. I remember Pearl Jam fighting the good fight back in the 90s.

Anyway, I think it would be interesting for her to answer questions about about her relationship with Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster testified in front of Congress that they protect the artists, venues, promoters, labels and brokers by being the ‘bad guy’. Everybody has their hands in the cookie jar and as usual the consumer gets screwed. But nobody (all media outlets covering this hilarious outrage) are asking the simple questions: who dictates the service charges (they were 20% for the Swift concert) and why can you buy tickets on Stubhub and other ticket brokerages BEFORE the pre-sale? How many tickets were released to these brokerages and/or what percentage of tickets were released to the general public?

There is the valid opposing argument of supply and demand: if she can get much for tickets then that’s what they are worth. And I agree.

But what I don’t like is that artist are hiding behind Ticketmaster when they are complicit because they are all making money on the service charges and get a cut of sales on the secondary market. Them, the organizers and the labels determine service charges (it says so on Ticketmaster’s site). Artists want to be able to throw up their hands and say the have no control. I say bullshit. They want to say ‘we are trying to make these tickets affordable for our fans’ when they benefit from putting ticket prices out of reach through these hidden ways. Bieber’s team even had the gull to reserve huge sections of seats for his shows and then use ticket brokerages to sell them at obscenely inflated rates.

Artists can make tickets non-transferrable while working with Ticketmaster, which will drastically reduce the gobs of tickets getting sucked up by brokerages like stub hub, but they don’t. Hmmmm….I wonder why? Or artist can do what Pearl Jam does, allow ticket exchanges BUT cap service fees at 5% and do not allow them to be sold over face value. 

(I’m also not saying Ticketmaster is blame free in all of this. They built this cesspool. And the fact that they charge an additional fee for you to print the ticket out on your own computer makes me want to punch them in the nuts.)

Happy Friday.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Music related….

I was tasked with trying to find Taylor Swift tickets for my wife, daughter, sister in law and nieces. Haha. Tall order.

I’m no dummy. I knew there was a slight chance of finding any, let alone 6 right next to each other’s. I still find it funny (but welcome) that all the Swifties are up in arms about Ticketmaster. I remember Pearl Jam fighting the good fight back in the 90s.

Anyway, I think it would be interesting for her to answer questions about about her relationship with Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster testified in front of Congress that they protect the artists, venues, promoters, labels and brokers by being the ‘bad guy’. Everybody has their hands in the cookie jar and as usual the consumer gets screwed. But nobody (all media outlets covering this hilarious outrage) are asking the simple questions: who dictates the service charges (they were 20% for the Swift concert) and why can you buy tickets on Stubhub and other ticket brokerages BEFORE the pre-sale? How many tickets were released to these brokerages and/or what percentage of tickets were released to the general public?

There is the valid opposing argument of supply and demand: if she can get much for tickets then that’s what they are worth. And I agree.

But what I don’t like is that artist are hiding behind Ticketmaster when they are complicit because they are all making money on the service charges and get a cut of sales on the secondary market. Them, the organizers and the labels determine service charges (it says so on Ticketmaster’s site). Artists want to be able to throw up their hands and say the have no control. I say bullshit. They want to say ‘we are trying to make these tickets affordable for our fans’ when they benefit from putting ticket prices out of reach through these hidden ways. Bieber’s team even had the gull to reserve huge sections of seats for his shows and then use ticket brokerages to sell them at obscenely inflated rates.

Artists can make tickets non-transferrable while working with Ticketmaster, which will drastically reduce the gobs of tickets getting sucked up by brokerages like stub hub, but they don’t. Hmmmm….I wonder why? Or artist can do what Pearl Jam does, allow ticket exchanges BUT cap service fees at 5% and do not allow them to be sold over face value. 

(I’m also not saying Ticketmaster is blame free in all of this. They built this cesspool. And the fact that they charge an additional fee for you to print the ticket out on your own computer makes me want to punch them in the nuts.)

Happy Friday.

The combo of Ticketmaster and Live Nation is a bridge too far for me. That should never have happened. I don’t buy anything from Ticketmaster. My wife will, but I’m a serial boycotter.

One thing in all this is that if any musician can break the Ticketmaster monopoly and strike out on their own, it’s Taylor Swift. Love her or hate her, the woman has some major power in the music industry. 

Saw this today from her. Not quite enough, but it sounds like they asked for assurance from TM and they said they could handle it. They could not and did not. 

A045CC1C-8872-4C13-A3D9-47701D9B6830.jpeg

Edited by Lostin76
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

The combo of Ticketmaster and Live Nation is a bridge too far for me. That should never have happened. I don’t buy anything from Ticketmaster. My wife will, but I’m a serial boycotter.

One thing in all this is that if any musician can break the Ticketmaster monopoly and strike out on their own, it’s Taylor Swift. Love her or hate her, the woman has some major power in the music industry. 

Saw this today from her. Not quite enough, but it sounds like they asked for assurance from TM and they said they could handle it. They could not and did not. 

A045CC1C-8872-4C13-A3D9-47701D9B6830.jpeg

I don’t doubt the frustration, but I still want to know what percentage of tickets were available for that pre-sale. How many were pre-pre-sold (or held) to stubhub…..to corporations…to Capital One (who endorse Swift). Perhaps next time make tickets non-transferable. And perhaps that will clear up some website traffic from the thousands of ticket brokers with multiple accounts who are not interested in going to the show…just turning a profit. 

She is one of the very few artists who has the power to be a part of the solution. 

22 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I don’t doubt the frustration, but I still want to know what percentage of tickets were available for that pre-sale. How many were pre-pre-sold (or held) to stubhub…..to corporations…to Capital One (who endorse Swift). Perhaps next time make tickets non-transferable. And perhaps that will clear up some website traffic from the thousands of ticket brokers with multiple accounts who are not interested in going to the show…just turning a profit. 

She is one of the very few artists who has the power to be a part of the solution. 

We only know two people who were able to get tickets, out of about 20 who tried. And these are people who know how to get tickets. 

She really could step in and say, “You know what? I’m going to hire a team and create a system to sell tickets to MY fans.” I’m sure her handlers would not like that, but she should do it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 12:55 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Metallica just dropped a song out of nowhere. 

You can buy tickets I believe starting today for Soldier Field. Here's something I haven't seen before. Concert isn't until August 11th of 2024.....not 2023. Don't recall booking that far out ever. I'll be in attendance but I think I'll wait until next summer at the earliest before buying.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

You can buy tickets I believe starting today for Soldier Field. Here's something I haven't seen before. Concert isn't until August 11th of 2024.....not 2023. Don't recall booking that far out ever. I'll be in attendance but I think I'll wait until next summer at the earliest before buying.

Good to know. I'll keep an eye on it but no rush to get tickets. Plenty of time to think about it/save up. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

One of my favorite JB tunes...

Elton John (credited as Rockaday Johnnie) on the piano... 

No offense brother and thanks for bumping this thread, but every time Browne is mentioned my mind goes to Savoy Brown. Interesting that at the end credits it seems that Fleetwood Mac was part of the act?

• Like 1