General Music Thread

IUFLA

37 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In My Life is probably my favorite song off Rubber Soul.

Great song... And there are a lot of them on "Rubber Soul."

Another reason that LP holds a special place for me... In the mid 2000s my youngest was taking riding lessons at a barn about 30 minutes from our house... My wife and I would take turns taking her out there. She liked country music at the time, but I put on "Rubber Soul" during one trip. She was usually very talkative, but she was silent pretty much the whole trip. On the return ride I tried to take the CD out, and she said, no, she'd like to listen to it again. From there she went through pretty much the entire catalog.

To this day, The Beatles are her favorite group... and one of our bonds... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My contribution for 1965. My grandpa didn't pay much attention to the radio but always turned it up when a Roger Miller song came on. 

My mom had this great idea when I was growing up to put my sister and I in piano lessons.  My sister became quite accomplished over the years.  I dropped out after one year.  But, the song I played in my year-end recital was none other than King of the Road.   it was bad.  Your grandpa would have probably turned the radio off if it was playing my version of the song.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The 60's is one of my favorite eras particularly for rock music. 

Yeah.  I'm going to have a hard time narrowing it down to a single song for each of the years in the 60's.  So many choices.  I suspect that when I get to the early 2000's, I'm going to be struggling to find ANY song worthy of listing in some of those years.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yeah.  I'm going to have a hard time narrowing it down to a single song for each of the years in the 60's.  So many choices.  I suspect that when I get to the early 2000's, I'm going to be struggling to find ANY song worthy of listing in some of those years.  

@tdhoosier is a great reference point for that era. He's turned me on to some good stuff from the 2000s... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thats pretty cool

My favorite Elton song is 

Probably my favorite of his, but that’s a really hard call. 

Have you ever seen Sara Bareilles doing Goodbye Yellow Brick Road? Her version is so haunting. I saw an interview with Elton and he said that no one, including himself, has ever done the song so well. That’s pretty high praise! 

She’s a songwriter, singer, pianist, Broadway producer and just an all around cool person. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

@tdhoosier is a great reference point for that era. He's turned me on to some good stuff from the 2000s... 

My brain works like a Pandora algorithm. Haha.

Modern music gets crapped on because as radio stations have been consolidated, their playlists have become more ‘pop-centric’ and lack diversity. You basically have proven classic rock, new pop and new country pop. The classic rock, of course is great, and the rest is formulaic music specifically written to get radio play: “it goes like this: the 4th the 5th, the minor fall and the major lift.”

That said, music is more accessible now more than ever. And there is tons of great post 2000’s music that is somewhat unknown because it doesn’t get a lot of radio play. You just need to look for it and have an open mind. I will say that I find it ironic that people admire the Beatles or Nirvana for their innovation have a hard time branching out of the classic rock era.

….think about that.

Musical innovation, creativity and skill is in abundance right now. Maybe now more than ever. Up to the early 2000’s radio has always been the gatekeeper…and so have record labels. Today, thanks to the internet, the gates are wide open. And because of that, boundaries are being pushed. 

(Anybody) Always feel free to hit me up for ‘modern music’ recommendations. I love sharing bands. 

I think @IUFLA’s favorite of my recommendations so far has been Gimmie Friction by Spoon. (Spoon is not some super-unknown band either - they can sell out 3 nights in Chicago, easy)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

My brain works like a Pandora algorithm. Haha.

Modern music gets crapped on because as radio stations have been consolidated, their playlists have become more ‘pop-centric’ and lack diversity. You basically have proven classic rock, new pop and new country pop. The classic rock, of course is great, and the rest is formulaic music specifically written to get radio play: “it goes like this: the 4th the 5th, the minor fall and the major lift.”

That said, music is more accessible now more than ever. And there is tons of great post 2000’s music that is somewhat unknown because it doesn’t get a lot of radio play. You just need to look for it and have an open mind. I will say that I find it ironic that people admire the Beatles or Nirvana for their innovation have a hard time branching out of the classic rock era.

….think about that.

Musical innovation, creativity and skill is in abundance right now. Maybe now more than ever. Up to the early 2000’s radio has always been the gatekeeper…and so have record labels. Today, thanks to the internet, the gates are wide open. And because of that, boundaries are being pushed. 

(Anybody) Always feel free to hit me up for ‘modern music’ recommendations. I love sharing bands. 

I think @IUFLA’s favorite of my recommendations so far has been Gimmie Friction by Spoon. (Spoon is not some super-unknown band either - they can sell out 3 nights in Chicago, easy)

Very important post - there is so much amazing modern music out there. But, you won’t hear it much on the radio. 

We saw Spoon and Interpol at MSG several years ago. Not a great show - my wife practically fell asleep during Interpol - but I love both bands. 

6 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Very important post - there is so much amazing modern music out there. But, you won’t hear it much on the radio. 

We saw Spoon and Interpol at MSG several years ago. Not a great show - my wife practically fell asleep during Interpol - but I love both bands. 

Haha. I can’t get into Interpol either. Never got the appeal, but that’s the great thing about music - I don’t need to ‘get it’. If a song makes you feel good then it can’t be ‘wrong.’ 

Songs of My Life: 1966

I listened to a lot of The Beach Boys growing up.  I wasn't born or too young to know any better when the bulk of their music was originally released, but I bought several compilation albums in the mid-70's.  Despite their name, their best work was not their surf music.  Before his breakdown, Brian Wilson was truly a genius.  In my opinion, the harmonies he compiled are unmatched. 

This song is #97 on the linked list for 1966.  How about you guys?  What do you have for 1966?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1966

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Songs of My Life: 1966

I listened to a lot of The Beach Boys growing up.  I wasn't born or too young to know any better when the bulk of their music was originally released, but I bought several compilation albums in the mid-70's.  Despite their name, their best work was not their surf music.  Before his breakdown, Brian Wilson was truly a genius.  In my opinion, the harmonies he compiled are unmatched. 

This song is #97 on the linked list for 1966.  How about you guys?  What do you have for 1966?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_1966

Concerning your list number 1 California Dreaming was actually recorded and released in 65. Number 2, 96 Tears I used to have the album. It was the only song on the album worth a flip.