Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc

Any Gulf of Mexico folks on here? Headed down in late June. Apparently ( I know nothing) Red Snapper season is a big deal and there are quotas, rules,etc...

Anyway. I love boats and water and lakes and oceans....but have never fished before out in the ocean. Any tips? I'm seeing the average size can be as much as 50lbs. Just curious. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Any Gulf of Mexico folks on here? Headed down in late June. Apparently ( I know nothing) Red Snapper season is a big deal and there are quotas, rules,etc...

Anyway. I love boats and water and lakes and oceans....but have never fished before out in the ocean. Any tips? I'm seeing the average size can be as much as 50lbs. Just curious. 

What part of the Gulf Coast?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We are staying in St. George Island. Have some couples that have fished before for Red Snapper but we are the amateurs. 

I've never been there, nor have I fished for red snapper, but it's some tasty eating...might have some tonight at Pappadeaux's...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

We are staying in St. George Island. Have some couples that have fished before for Red Snapper but we are the amateurs. 

Know a few people that love St George. They say it’s much more relaxed than the other places. Way back in the day my friends and I would go to the keys. Fish for tarpon at night and then in the day find a coral head to fish for red snapper like pan fish. Nothing as big as what you said. But we would catch enough to sell to the fish market when it was still allowed. Then use the money to buy more beer and bait for the tarpon! Fun times!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Know a few people that love St George. They say it’s much more relaxed than the other places. Way back in the day my friends and I would go to the keys. Fish for tarpon at night and then in the day find a coral head to fish for red snapper like pan fish. Nothing as big as what you said. But we would catch enough to sell to the fish market when it was still allowed. Then use the money to buy more beer and bait for the tarpon! Fun times!

Love the Keys....and love all of SW Florida. St George is a little hideaway that I'm still amazed hasn't been run over by the masses. The guy that cooks at our church has probably lived about 20 lifetimes. He has shared similar stories where he would wake up, fish, sweat out the night before...sell it to the chefs in town.....buy beer and rinse wash repeat for about 7 years. Haha.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I've got this place down in Mobile, but I haven't figured out the fishing yet. I've mostly concentrated on Blue crab. Good luck though !

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Love the Keys....and love all of SW Florida. St George is a little hideaway that I'm still amazed hasn't been run over by the masses. The guy that cooks at our church has probably lived about 20 lifetimes. He has shared similar stories where he would wake up, fish, sweat out the night before...sell it to the chefs in town.....buy beer and rinse wash repeat for about 7 years. Haha.

A warning about some of the small backwater towns near there. A friend of mine has a place near Port St Joe. He says don’t let them see you have a full set of teeth! Next thing you know some mama is going to be inviting you over to share a bottle with her daughter! Not kidding!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

IMG_0116.thumb.jpeg.4207fa599cb2bc4f81b65d3746ac6a4f.jpegJust seconds after this picture, these two female Mergansers clucked and hid under the neighbor’s dock. Looked out about 20 yards and saw a black and white bird roll and dive. Didn’t see the head but think it was a male Merganser. I guess the girls don’t like the guy?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

That's a heck of a pile of lumber, should we expect a new project on the DIY thread soon?

We were at Tammy's friends place.  It is a campground on the lake.  They are putting a deck on their camper.  I helped them for a few hours then it was time to play(fish, swim, drink, and smoke).  Supposed to go back this coming week-end to do it again.  Speaking of which,  Does anyone here have any tips for fishing for perch?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rico said:

We were at Tammy's friends place.  It is a campground on the lake.  They are putting a deck on their camper.  I helped them for a few hours then it was time to play(fish, swim, drink, and smoke).  Supposed to go back this coming week-end to do it again.  Speaking of which,  Does anyone here have any tips for fishing for perch?

Sm hooks, light line is all I remember. But I’m not really a fisherman?!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Sm hooks, light line is all I remember. But I’m not really a fisherman?!

Small hooks I have heard as well.  I use 2 lb. test.  I think I am gonna drop shot for them with crawlers or redworms.  Perch is my favorite to eat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Small hooks I have heard as well.  I use 2 lb. test.  I think I am gonna drop shot for them with crawlers or redworms.  Perch is my favorite to eat.

A guy I went to church with in Georgia is a guide for crappie fishing. He said fish the valley created by the influence. Said fish both in the valley and the edges until you figure out what’s working. I said  our lake is spring fed. His response 🤷‍♂️