Outdoors - Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Etc

2 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

One of my goals this fall/ winter is to brush up on and expand my knowledge of bushcraft.  It's alot cheaper than my other hobbies. 

Thought is was pretty cool idea.

I wonder how many younguns know what a bow saw is or more importantly how to properly use it?

9 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I wonder how many younguns know what a bow saw is or more importantly how to properly use it?

I'm guessing very few. I'm pretty decent with firebuilding and shelters. Need more work on building and setting traps and tying different kinds of knots. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 6:40 PM, rico said:

I have never hunted turkeys.  One of these days I am gonna have to give it a try.

I've never hunted turkeys during spring season but fall archery season overlaps with deer archery and on private property they sometimes get in the way. 

As for hunting I haven't really been in a few years but plan on getting back to it next season.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Another skill, and one that I'm particularly good at is map reading and compass navigation. 

My friend was a competition shooter (was invited to the Olympic trials), so the school ROTC recruited him to be on the team. One of the classes he took to qualify was Map Folding?

17 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

My friend was a competition shooter (was invited to the Olympic trials), so the school ROTC recruited him to be on the team. One of the classes he took to qualify was Map Folding?

Probably because military uses topographical maps and they are 24" by 27 or 29" for proper scale. You can fold maps in ways that allow you to access quadrants without unfolding the entire map. 

31 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've never hunted turkeys during spring season but fall archery season overlaps with deer archery and on private property they sometimes get in the way. 

As for hunting I haven't really been in a few years but plan on getting back to it next season.  

Archery?  The heck with that.  I am gonna use a shotgun!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Archery?  The heck with that.  I am gonna use a shotgun!

I bow hunted for a long time. I started hunting with shotgun well before that. About 10 yrs ago I switched to muzzleloader for all firearms deer seasons. 

Bought an 18.5" barrel for my shotgun and turned it into a mossberg persuader. I have a cerakote kit to refinish it in OD green/desert tan. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

You planning on going off the grid?

Lol, not unless I'm forced to. If I do, the inlaws have the place to stay and I just brings tools and know how. 

It's been a few years since I've been camping so thought I'd spend winter upgrading my gear and getting things I don't have. When I go camping I like to practice some bush skills. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Some. It's pretty basic. More geared toward escape and evasion. 

An old German toolmaker taught me most of what I know about tooling. He was an admitted hellion. Told the story of him and his friend being chased by nazis with tracking dogs. As they ran through a field an old woman shouted from the house they need to crap on the trail. It throws the scent off. Does your manual teach you that?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

An old German toolmaker taught me most of what I know about tooling. He was an admitted hellion. Told the story of him and his friend being chased by nazis with tracking dogs. As they ran through a field an old woman shouted from the house they need to crap on the trail. It throws the scent off. Does your manual teach you that?

That one's new to me. I'll put it in my memory bank. 

• Like 1