Pizza.

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

I only do delivery on Lous for a bday or holidays.  By the time I get to Indy and get Lous I've been to a dozen other places and I'm out way more than delivery. 

There is a grocery store in Bloomington called Fresh Thyme that sells Gino's frozen pizza. I prefer Lous but that's a good backup. 

There was a Gino East a few blocks from my house many years ago. Unfortunately they closed after a couple years and I've only had their frozen pizzas since. They were my #1, followed by Giordanos and then Lou Malnatis.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Indy and Bloomington had a place called King Dough that done wood fired pizza. Good stuff

So back in Georgia my good work friend, refugee from Kosovo, introduced us to a local pizza place run by Albanians?? They were known for making true Italian pizza? Went so far as to buy their wood fired ovens from Italy! Bought their Italian meats from a Wisconsin business that cured meats the Italian way! Used the specialty ground pizza flour, Nationally recognized! By all accounts their pizza was as close to Napoli pizza as being there!!

I understand why Italian’s hate American pizza! For me while still good, their pizza was NOT my cup of tea!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Pizza Hut reveals Americas favorite pizza styles, seasoning, consumption, etc.

some of the items people said NO to I never heard of on a pizza! Beets, Blueberry?

Ricotta cheese, bacon, jalapenos, spinach--- of course-- ham, pepp, and sausage. Those are my favorites. 

4 cheese is great

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I eat a lot of pizza. Had some last night, actually, Ballsagna from Hot Box Pizza. Hot Box has 50% off everything on Mondays during football season. I'm a pretty big fan of their pizza.

They have many specialty pizzas my wife and I love. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Sorry if already mentioned but, have ya'll heard of Pizza Cones? ... mind blown.

56613t2.jpeg.fd08acfdaea2b8b34e63decaa5b30800.jpeg

Yep! All kinds of fun stuff you can do with pizza, which is basically just dough, cheese, a sauce and any number of possible toppings.

Makes me think of the pepperoni pinwheels I had at the New Holland Brewpub in Holland MI years ago:

image.png.441405d98774fb0f71c181a9cdaa7c7c.png

Somehow there aren't any great pictures online, certainly not as pretty as yours, but it's basically those same ingredients wrapped up together like a cinnamon roll. Extremely east to make at home, though I remember New Holland's being spectacular.

Noble Roman's here in Indy does a pepperoni slider, which is essentially a pizza cupcake. I love the soft chewy dough and the crispy frico. One of my go-to orders:

image.png.7cffb28afb2d9f5a0cc06b1e6d975160.png

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Yep! All kinds of fun stuff you can do with pizza, which is basically just dough, cheese, a sauce and any number of possible toppings.

Makes me think of the pepperoni pinwheels I had at the New Holland Brewpub in Holland MI years ago:

image.png.441405d98774fb0f71c181a9cdaa7c7c.png

Somehow there aren't any great pictures online, certainly not as pretty as yours, but it's basically those same ingredients wrapped up together like a cinnamon roll. Extremely east to make at home, though I remember New Holland's being spectacular.

Noble Roman's here in Indy does a pepperoni slider, which is essentially a pizza cupcake. I love the soft chewy dough and the crispy frico. One of my go-to orders:

image.png.7cffb28afb2d9f5a0cc06b1e6d975160.png

I'm going to have to try these from Noble Romans. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 10:19 AM, btownqb said:

Ricotta cheese, bacon, jalapenos, spinach--- of course-- ham, pepp, and sausage. Those are my favorites. 

4 cheese is great

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I eat a lot of pizza. Had some last night, actually, Ballsagna from Hot Box Pizza. Hot Box has 50% off everything on Mondays during football season. I'm a pretty big fan of their pizza.

Ricotta cheese is bomb. I would eat it off the floor 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 10:19 AM, btownqb said:

4 cheese is great

I spent $50 last night. I eat way too much. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’m also a Pizzello owner, but I went for the dual fuel pellet/propane model. Starting to get the hang of it, but realized this thing just rips through pellets, and there’s no auto-feed hopper. 

Biggest thing….making homemade dough. All the difference in the world. I could seriously make a batch of dough and throw sauce on it and eat the whole batch. 

IMG_7228.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Here's a pro tip on Pizza gang. Let it cool. Was out all day Monday with yardwork and played pickleball for a few hours was so hungry I just threw a Digiorno's in the oven and took a bite a bit early. 

I'll save the board the photos but the pizza incinerated my bottom lip. Easily 2nd if not 3rd degree burns. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Naturalhoosier said:

What type/brand of flour do you guys use to roll out your dough and keep it from sticking in the wood stove?  I've watched some vids and it the flour I'm seeing is different than the standard white all-purpose flour.  Thoughts?

Pretty sure that's semolina. It's the flour used for english muffins to keep them from sticking.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Pretty sure that's semolina. It's the flour used for english muffins to keep them from sticking.

I am probably wrong but isn’t semolina course ground? Pizza flour is usually more like 00 fine ground?

• Like 1

Semolina is simply used to keep the dough from sticking...it does become part of the crust, but only surface level...

Worked at Dominos for a couple of years, and that's what they use it for...They keep the dough itself cold, and that helps with the stickiness too...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Semolina is simply used to keep the dough from sticking...it does become part of the crust, but only surface level...

Worked at Dominos for a couple of years, and that's what they use it for...They keep the dough itself cold, and that helps with the stickiness too...

That makes sense, thanks for the lesson.🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maedhros said:

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Thanks fellas.  I will keep an eye out for this Semolina.

Another vote for semolina. Makes great homemade pasta as well.  I've also heard you can use course ground corn meal. 

If it's the first time you've used the oven or if you just cleaned your stone, doesn't hurt to toss a tiny bit on the stone before your first pie. 

The dough itself, I use 00.  After they've proofed for a 2nd time, I coat the outside in AP flour before rolling, then the semolina on the peel.  Pizza dough can get a bit involved, but sweet baby Jesus is it good. 

Edit: I've got a batch in the fridge for tomorrow night.  Hosting a neighborhood FF watch party. 

• Like 2