Pizza.

On 6/27/2021 at 11:53 PM, mrflynn03 said:

So maybe not with my next bonus check but before this year is over I'm getting one of these 

An OONIE pellet fired pizza oven. 

image.png.17913eeb701870cbd1951865fa4e6e2b.png

How long does it take to get one of those up to temp? Just wondering if it's worth all the work. We've looked at a few different ones but cleaning/maintaining/waiting for it to get to temp....just wondering if it's worth it....for a homemade pizza.

I love Pizza in all varieties. I don't discriminate. Kind of go through phases too. Right now I have been on a huge Detroit Style Pizza phase. As far as cheap pizza chains I like Jets right now. Their 8 corner detroit style is pretty darn good for a pizza chain. When I think pizza I also love cheese sticks....so the best I've ever had (and really solid pizza) is from Matt B's in Murray, Ky. They serve it with sauces but you HAVE to do it with the Honey Butter.....OMG life changing. Dipping a cheese stick or even the pizza crust in that...heavenly stuff. Down here in SWFL I've really been disappointed in the pizza. All these NY/Chicago natives and I struggle to find a really good place (would thought it would be out of this world)...maybe my expectations are too high. Any suggestions to those fellow SWFL people I'm up for it.

pizza.jpg

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

How long does it take to get one of those up to temp? Just wondering if it's worth all the work. We've looked at a few different ones but cleaning/maintaining/waiting for it to get to temp....just wondering if it's worth it....for a homemade pizza.

I have no idea. I imagine with using pellets not too long. They also have a propane fueled version but out of my price range. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I looked it up. Takes about 15 min to preheat. And extra 5-10 if it's cold enough out. 

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
17 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Waiting on some Avers pizza right now. 

Recently found out I like anchovies. 

Avers was always a favorite when we lived in Bloomington. Still have some of their plastic cups. 

We had a LOT of pizza during our latest trip to Italy. Much more than last year’s trip. Southern Italy knows their pizza like nobody’s business and we didn’t have a bad pizza the entire trip. We ended our trip with two nights in Rome and the first day we got there, I was kind of getting tired/cranky so we plopped down at one of the first little outdoor places that were serving pizza. 

They also had horrid techno music blaring and my wife didn’t like the glasses they used for our drinks, but that pizza when it came was piping hot and perfect. Must have had ten margherita pizzas during the trip, but they were all killer. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So here's a new one, ever heard of or had a pickle pizza?

Wife wants to try one. I guess I'll give it a go. 

I've had cheeseburger pizza with pickles on it... Are pickles the star of the show in the one you and your wife are going to try, or are there other ingredients? 

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Lou Malnati's/Portillo pizza

You might like this one, shipping nationwide,

Oh man. This might be the greatest thing ever. Two of my favorite things combined.

…..and @IUFLA, next time you’re near a Rosati’s, you can also get a calzone with Italian beef and giardiniera. Also really good, although i recommend getting the giardiniera on the side. 

• Like 2

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Oh man. This might be the greatest thing ever. Two of my favorite things combined.

…..and @IUFLA, next time you’re near a Rosati’s, you can also get a calzone with Italian beef and giardiniera. Also really good, although i recommend getting the giardiniera on the side. 

They just opened one in Kingwood, about 10 miles from my house...

We're frequent visitors 🙂 

I'll try the calzone... But I'll order me and m'lady a Windy City Classic too which has giardiniera along with their killer Italian Sausage... 

16 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Lou Malnati's/Portillo pizza

You might like this one, shipping nationwide,

OMG...

I love Malnati's for Chicago style deep dish... I'll be up there in November. Have to give it a whirl...

As far as Portillos goes, I like the ones that have a Barnelli's pasta attached... The Peasant Pasta is my 2nd favorite Italian dish of all time (wife's Chicken Tetrazzini is in a league of its own)... 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

OMG...

I love Malnati's for Chicago style deep dish... I'll be up there in November. Have to give it a whirl...

As far as Portillos goes, I like the ones that have a Barnelli's pasta attached... The Peasant Pasta is my 2nd favorite Italian dish of all time (wife's Chicken Tetrazzini is in a league of its own)... 

The article Q&A says it's only available thru Tastes of Chicago for online ordering. Give it a whirl anyway.

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Yea, but I ordered them mostly for my son and DIL. They lived several years in the western suburbs of Cook County. Besides they have a Freezer, I don’t.

I looked, and I can fashion a "build your own" deep dish that has the same toppings when I go to see my middle daughter in November...

The difference is Portillos Italian an Beef vs, well, I guess regular old Malnati's Italian beef...

They have a really cool Malnati's in Naperville, housed in what used to be a firehouse... Always packed... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I looked, and I can fashion a "build your own" deep dish that has the same toppings when I go to see my middle daughter in November...

The difference is Portillos Italian an Beef vs, well, I guess regular old Malnati's Italian beef...

They have a really cool Malnati's in Naperville, housed in what used to be a firehouse... Always packed... 

Goldbelly doesn’t seem to have the Portillo’s, not yet at least. Enjoy your trip!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

Goldbelly doesn’t seem to have the Portillo’s, not yet at least. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks... I'm pissed that the "Heaven on 7” in Naperville closed. Best restaurant I've ever been to... 

@mrflynn03 you would have loved their " Hot Sauce Wall. "

Hu_s-DGjqeakbT-_fS7pAO7GLiKI6Vwz-YybFSv9wM8.jpg.f0a7028617ed9b50f171178aee003e23.jpg

I could never decide between Shrimp and Rice with Ravagote Sauce or the Chicken Voodoo Enchiladas... And the Gumbo 🤩

• Like 1