Pizza.

13 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Thanks... I'm pissed that the "Heaven on 7” in Naperville closed. Best restaurant I've ever been to... 

@mrflynn03 you would have loved their " Hot Sauce Wall. "

Hu_s-DGjqeakbT-_fS7pAO7GLiKI6Vwz-YybFSv9wM8.jpg.f0a7028617ed9b50f171178aee003e23.jpg

I could never decide between Shrimp and Rice with Ravagote Sauce or the Chicken Voodoo Enchiladas... And the Gumbo 🤩

Weird, I was just talking about the gumbo at Heaven on 7 last week - I didn’t know it closed. I had the hottest thing I’ve ever had in my life here. The ‘Hot as a Mutha’ - it was a fried habanero stuffed with jalapeño cream cheese. I tried just a tiny bit and I was super uncomfortable for 15 minutes. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 11:10 AM, dgambill said:

I love Pizza in all varieties. I don't discriminate. Kind of go through phases too. Right now I have been on a huge Detroit Style Pizza phase. As far as cheap pizza chains I like Jets right now. Their 8 corner detroit style is pretty darn good for a pizza chain. 

pizza.jpg

Detroit style is my favorite. I love the combination of fluffy pan crust with that crunchy frico along the edges. Jet's introduced me to the concept, when I used to live in an apartment complex behind one of their stores, and it's still my favorite chain to order. I'll get an 8 Corner whenever I want to treat myself with greasy, cheesy goodness.

Noble Roman's Craft Pizza & Pub does something similar they call a Sicilian, which is apparently what this style was called early on when some thought "Detroit" had too many negative connotations. It's not as big as Jet's, but they put the sauce on the top, which I like. I think brings out the flavor more than when it's buried under a layer of cheese. 

I recently made the trip up to Fairmount IN to visit Bad Dad Brewing. I'd heard great things about their pizza, and saw they had Detroit-style on the menu. We made the mistake of visiting during their annual James Dean festival, though, and maybe the ensuing rush is why they didn't have any available? We waited about 40 minutes for the Neapolitan pizza we did order, but it was worth it; quality ingredients on a crispy doughy crust, and we got to enjoy some good beer during our wait.

There's a Detroit-style place in downtown Indy I want to try called Futuro. Not as far to drive as Bad Dad, but still more than I would normally drive for pizza. So I'm waiting for an opportunity. If anyone has been, let me know how it was. Futuro is next on my list.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Detroit style is my favorite. I love the combination of fluffy pan crust with that crunchy frico along the edges. Jet's introduced me to the concept, when I used to live in an apartment complex behind one of their stores, and it's still my favorite chain to order. I'll get an 8 Corner whenever I want to treat myself with greasy, cheesy goodness.

Noble Roman's Craft Pizza & Pub does something similar they call a Sicilian, which is apparently what this style was called early on when some thought "Detroit" had too many negative connotations. It's not as big as Jet's, but they put the sauce on the top, which I like. I think brings out the flavor more than when it's buried under a layer of cheese. 

I recently made the trip up to Fairmount IN to visit Bad Dad Brewing. I'd heard great things about their pizza, and saw they had Detroit-style on the menu. We made the mistake of visiting during their annual James Dean festival, though, and maybe the ensuing rush is why they didn't have any available? We waited about 40 minutes for the Neapolitan pizza we did order, but it was worth it; quality ingredients on a crispy doughy crust, and we got to enjoy some good beer during our wait.

There's a Detroit-style place in downtown Indy I want to try called Futuro. Not as far to drive as Bad Dad, but still more than I would normally drive for pizza. So I'm waiting for an opportunity. If anyone has been, let me know how it was. Futuro is next on my list.

I can attest to Futuro. Pricey but if Detroit style is your thing it's very good. That whole area is under construction and it's not the easiest place to find either just heads up.

It's more of a to go eatery but some tables upstairs. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.futuroindy.com/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Weird, I was just talking about the gumbo at Heaven on 7 last week - I didn’t know it closed. I had the hottest thing I’ve ever had in my life here. The ‘Hot as a Mutha’ - it was a fried habanero stuffed with jalapeño cream cheese. I tried just a tiny bit and I was super uncomfortable for 15 minutes. 

I'm going to have to replicate those fried stuffed habaneros. 

40 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I can attest to Futuro. Pricey but if Detroit style is your thing it's very good. That whole area is under construction and it's not the easiest place to find either just heads up.

I think we are going to try it this weekend. We usually take a yearly trip to Huber's, but I think we may alter that instead. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for the tip about it being mostly a to go eatery. Indiana City has a taproom right down the block so now I'm thinking I'll take my pizza there and wash it down with some Wicked Reaper.

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Thanks for the tip about it being mostly a to go eatery. Indiana City has a taproom right down the block so now I'm thinking I'll take my pizza there and wash it down with some Wicked Reaper.

I mean, smart location to have a take out business. Sun King is .3 miles away. 

First time we went to Indiana City, I was not impressed with the beer selection, at all. But... I am more than willing to try it again. Incredibly nice place though, the location you're talking about. 

Edited by btownqb

44 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I mean there are tables there and some single chairs along  window,etc....but like most restaurants in the post covid world....to go, takeout, delivery,etc......is a way some are going. 

On 10/4/2022 at 7:20 AM, tdhoosier said:

Oh man. This might be the greatest thing ever. Two of my favorite things combined.

…..and @IUFLA, next time you’re near a Rosati’s, you can also get a calzone with Italian beef and giardiniera. Also really good, although i recommend getting the giardiniera on the side. 

The Rosatis calzone is pretty good. Joeys Red Hots in the south suburbs is actually a liitle better, IMO

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm going to have to replicate those fried stuffed habaneros. 

I'm not sure you want to. haha. It really doesn't sound too spicy based on the description. I've had habeneros before and I like spicy food.  Maybe it's the deep frying them the sealed in the oils, but it was insane. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have read about doing this for a while but never had. I tried it today and will never do it any other way. Reheating pizza on a skillet on the stove top. Medium heat. A few drops of water on the skillet next to (not on) the pizza. Cover with a large pan lid.  4-5 mins.  It crisps up the crust to perfection. Give it a shot if you’ve never tried it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Bringing this back from the dead. My pizza options are limited.  Ordered a BBQ chicken pizza from Papa John's and added jalapeños.  It was pretty dang good. 

Every pizza should have onions no exception, and most should have jalapeños.

I like papa johns because I like Shaq. One of my all time favorite NBA players.  Larry Bird #1 of course. They say don't meet your "heroes" but Larry was pretty cool when I met him