Butler post game

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

We had 4 players score more than 3 points today. The biggest spot I'd like to see improvement in is more scoring consistency from our 4-8 players. If we can consistently get 4 scoring in double figures, we should do pretty well.

Only got 3 bench points all game. Hunter's 3 in the corner. That won't work going forward...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great second half. I’m digging the idea of a senior Galloway. Seemed like we had a lot of blocks in the second half. 

Armaan is the real deal, but have no idea what’s happened to Rob? Al had some good flashes, but I’m most relaxed when Armaan and Galloway are in there controlling things. 

11 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Missed the game today, grocery shopping and in a downpour.... I probably would’ve enjoyed the game more....

Franklin’s numbers are looking impressive. He could not shoot outside in the first few games but is now knocking them down. Consistent going forward or just good shooting days?

Broken record but I’m frustrated Hunter isn’t playing more — however it’s clear now CAM is heavily emphasizing a 3-guard 2-forward look with TJD and Race getting the lion share (deservedly) of forward minutes. I do think we’re going to lose B1G games we could’ve won unless CAM adds more outside scoring to the minutes, but also see we’re going to be scrappy and tough defensively and rely on that to win.
Really would like to see Lander getting more run, and at least from the box it looks like Rob struggled, 1 basket, 4 fouls. Why did Lander play only 2 minutes?

Hunter gets backed under the basket way too much for easy scores and Lander gets caught out of position on D

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe I'm just cranky today, but some things about this game bugged the crap out of me...

@mchenry34 summed up a lot of how I feel. We looked lethargic at times, got out rebounded, turned it over 15 times, and left a lot of points at the FT line... Glad we won, but if we think that is going to cut it in the B10, we've got another think coming.

Glad Armaan had a great shooting day, and his defense was good most of the day, but turnovers... Geez...

Didn't get much from Rob, and Al was Al...

TJD and Race, especially on the defensive end, drove the big run. 

And Galloway continues to impress me...he always seems to know where the ball is, and where it needs to go...and his defense is scrappy...

How many of those turnovers were BS travel or charging calls?

Armaan is quickly becoming a very consistent player/scorer for us. Hit another 5 for 7 today. Defense was lagging a little today, but he's been very good defensively for the most part so far this year, and late last year.

Still perplexed by Al playing point. Rob seems to be locked into 1st gear for tempo. Hope that changes soon.

Galloway will be the player all non-IU fans will hate. I LOVE IT!

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Missed the game today, grocery shopping and in a downpour.... I probably would’ve enjoyed the game more....

Franklin’s numbers are looking impressive. He could not shoot outside in the first few games but is now knocking them down. Consistent going forward or just good shooting days?

Broken record but I’m frustrated Hunter isn’t playing more — however it’s clear now CAM is heavily emphasizing a 3-guard 2-forward look with TJD and Race getting the lion share (deservedly) of forward minutes. I do think we’re going to lose B1G games we could’ve won unless CAM adds more outside scoring to the minutes, but also see we’re going to be scrappy and tough defensively and rely on that to win.
Really would like to see Lander getting more run, and at least from the box it looks like Rob struggled, 1 basket, 4 fouls. Why did Lander play only 2 minutes?

If you watched Hunter play you would see why he didn’t play more. He looked out matched, got dominated on defense, took bad shots, and just had no impact. To me Lander isn’t ready yet and if he was CAM would play him but the fact is he’s barely 18 and he needs to keep practicing and getting better. He doesn’t drive with confidence and isn’t a great shooter yet so why play him when winning is the goal. He can still learn in practice without the pressure especially since this is a free year for him. 

2 minutes ago, madmax said:

Armaan playing 36 minutes probably has more to do with Landers lack of playing time then anything else. And I don’t disagree with CAM’s decision- AF plays tough D and is lights out lately.

Or the fact that he is currently our best shooter and in the past few games most consistent scoring guard.

I would hope Archie has certain things he wants Lander to do to earn more minutes. Thus far, he is not seeing those things, so Lander doesn't get much time. I support making him earn his minutes. I still think he's the guy we need to step up on the offensive end if we have a legit shot at being a sweet 16 team, but he has to earn it.

4 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

How many of those turnovers were BS travel or charging calls?

Not that many from what I saw...I saw 1 charge that was bogus, but we were sloppy with the ball and our passing wasn't good and snappy...

I actually think we played better against a higher caliber opponent in the loss to FSU than we did today...

23 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hunter in the first half got  lost on defense a few times so that is why he didn't get more minutes today.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Hunter in the first half got  lost on defense a few times so that is why he didn't get more minutes today.

He’s going to have to up his D to see more floor time, appears.
Hope AF’s shooting is consistent going forward and not aberrational and that Rob and Al get their shooting going, if Hunter isn’t playing much and that doesn’t change we’re going to lose B1G games for lack of outside scoring 

I’m not trying to be overly critical when we won the game but with what Rob and Al gave us and have been giving us...I just don’t understand why Kristian can’t get 4-5 mins each half minimum. If he isn’t playing well take him out but I think he can give us a spark and at the minimum not hurt us. Pull my hair out watching Al run the point and dribble the ball into the dirt.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I’m not trying to be overly critical when we won the game but with what Rob and Al gave us and have been giving us...I just don’t understand why Kristian can’t get 4-5 mins each half minimum. If he isn’t playing well take him out but I think he can give us a spark and at the minimum not hurt us. Pull my hair out watching Al run the point and dribble the ball into the dirt.

Agree. Especially when it appears Rob is having an off day and in foul trouble. 

I’m not trying to be overly critical either, we got the W, but we did it while a key on ball guard wasn’t hitting shots and got to 4 fouls, and while I didn’t watch the game that to me is opportunity lost to continue to develop Lander, who could help later in the year. Not a game - imo - where playing only 8 guys and limiting Lander to 2 min will help the team.

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

Agree. Especially when it appears Rob is having an off day and in foul trouble. 

I’m not trying to be overly critical either, we got the W, but we did it while a key on ball guard wasn’t hitting shots and got to 4 fouls, and while I didn’t watch the game that to me is opportunity lost to continue to develop Lander, who could help later in the year. Not a game - imo - where playing only 8 guys and limiting Lander to 2 min will help the team.

IMO, Lander limited his minutes, not Archie. Lander looked lost out there today. We have to remember this is a 17 year old kid playing with grown & experienced men. He'll come around, but "for the team's sake" he wasn't helping. Galloway was light years better than Lander, even though he didn't score, he impacted the game immensely.

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not that many from what I saw...I saw 1 charge that was bogus, but we were sloppy with the ball and our passing wasn't good and snappy...

I actually think we played better against a higher caliber opponent in the loss to FSU than we did today...

They had 2 steals - the sloppy passing didn't hurt us much.

edit: I don't disagree that it was sloppy.

2 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I’m buying the Franklin hype. His shot being off was always weird to me - he has solid form. If he adds a consistent outside shot, he’s an All-B1G player. 

Too early for me - offensively. He shot poorly in the early games, it’s been 2 games now. His D and overall play though is legit.
AF has never - by CAM or any of the players - been talked about as one of the best shooters. That’s not saying he might be turning into one, but thinking he is on a couple or 3 games is premature. Def think he’s become one of the key players regardless 

I don’t think he’s a knock down shooter, per se. I think he’s an incredible passer and defender. If he adds that outside shot, he jumps from “consistent starter” to “All-B1G” for me.  Even if he only adds a decent outside shot (and he hasn’t been decent thus far in his career, to be fair) he really transforms as a player 

1 minute ago, DWB said:

IMO, Lander limited his minutes, not Archie. Lander looked lost out there today. We have to remember this is a 17 year old kid playing with grown & experienced men. He'll come around, but "for the team's sake" he wasn't helping. Galloway was light years better than Lander, even though he didn't score, he impacted the game immensely.

He played 2 minutes. You can’t determine if he’s lost in 2 minutes, respectfully. We’ve seen him in early games show very good floor awareness.

Galloway light years better? He’s not a point guard and, clearly, not a scorer. Apples and oranges. He looks solid in the games I’ve watched and excellent downhill, but he hasn’t shot well at all, and has a bad release. His shot needs a lot of work. Again though it’s just not a comparison Galloway is not an on ball player - the players Lander would come in for are Rob and Al.

Archived