Butler post game

26 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

he obviously was today, but be careful.  everyone got so excited about Race after one big game and he's come back down to earth now.  both guys are undoubtedly greatly improved, but we'll see which players show up next game.

But he’s had 3 great games in a row. Not sure if you could put anybody other than race in front of him. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Ok...

His defense was awful again...Butler keyed on him and kept going at him, and he was no match...he made a boneheaded play diving on a pile for a loose ball and picked up a foul...and his hands are still a question mark...

Galloway is getting some of his time simply because he plays defense, values the ball, and makes heady plays... 

Yes.  Hunter is a four now.  He eliminated himself as a three so he’s the backup four.  If TJD comes out, Race slides to the 5.  As a four Hunter  needs to get more physical. But there’s potential there because he can stretch the floor and fire off 6-8 points in a flurry.  That can be weaponized.  

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

But he’s had 3 great games in a row. Not sure if you could put anybody other than race in front of him. 

Franklin is now 2nd in scoring on the team and Race is 3rd. To my mind, the same 3 players are clearly our best defensive players as well (not sure of the order there), so I don't see how anyone could argue for anyone else. I think Durham gets a bad rap by some here, but I don't see him as part of this discussion. 

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I disagree..no since arguing. Their guards weren’t pressuring the ball...weren’t anything special imo. You have to bring Khristian along somehow...today was a perfect opportunity imo. Just my humble opinion. You know I respect you Bgleas...I know the game has been a little fast for him but to me Butler plays methodical..I think he could have handled the competition.

Not arguing at all. It's all good, we're allowed to disagree, it would be boring if we didn't. 

I just don't think Lander is ready yet, and I felt the reason we were down early was mainly because of defense, not offense. You don't really put Lander in at this point for a defensive spark. 

I'm with you guys though, the ceiling of this team goes up if the light goes on for Lander, it helps tremendously if he figures it out, but it's tough to give him time to figure it out in a game where IU needs to win and was struggling through the first half defensively. 

I would love to see him settle in, especially with Phinisee not making the leap we all hoped he would. Tough situation for Lander coming in young and then not have the 6-7 cupcake games to get comfortable. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He played 2 minutes. You can’t determine if he’s lost in 2 minutes, respectfully. We’ve seen him in early games show very good floor awareness.

Galloway light years better? He’s not a point guard and, clearly, not a scorer. Apples and oranges. He looks solid in the games I’ve watched and excellent downhill, but he hasn’t shot well at all, and has a bad release. His shot needs a lot of work. Again though it’s just not a comparison Galloway is not an on ball player - the players Lander would come in for are Rob and Al.

I disagree he’s show good floor awareness. He doesn’t drive ever, passes to the wings, or dribbles and takes a terrible 3 with bad form. He’s young so practice fixes that but him on the floor is pointless until he is more aggressive. Him and Leal are both afraid of making mistakes.

45 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Franklin is now 2nd in scoring on the team and Race is 3rd. To my mind, the same 3 players are clearly our best defensive players as well (not sure of the order there), so I don't see how anyone could argue for anyone else. I think Durham gets a bad rap by some here, but I don't see him as part of this discussion. 

I think Al is just inconsistent and settles for the 3 too much.... things happen when he drives and he should be drive first oriented with occasional 3 pointer... he’s even really good with his opposite hand on the drive

i don't really disagree about Franklin being the 2nd or 3rd best player.  i guess i do agree.  all i'm saying is Race had one huge game and everyone exaggerated him like he was NBA bound after this season.  Franklin has looked pretty good and i'm just warning not to expect him to be an All American all of the sudden.  

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't really disagree about Franklin being the 2nd or 3rd best player.  i guess i do agree.  all i'm saying is Race had one huge game and everyone exaggerated him like he was NBA bound after this season.  Franklin has looked pretty good and i'm just warning not to expect him to be an All American all of the sudden.  

If our second best player is an all American we are in REALLY good shape! 😀

If Brunk wasn't out, would Hunter be getting more wing minutes? I think Hunter should get some minutes at the 3 with Trace and Race.   Getting his perimeter shot going would be huge for him.  He may be having to adjust his game more than some of the others. Instead of defending from more of wing where he defends with his length to playing more physical in the paint defensively.  He was really frustrated when he made that turnover in the 1st half.   He could be pressing.

Rob could be playing better but glad he is healthy.  I feel a lot more comfortable when Rob is running the offense than Al or Armond. He was running it when they had the run to start the 2nd half then they had a small letdown when he went to the bench.  Franklin and Al can certainly get the ball up the court and are really needed for their scoring.  Seems  they make bad decisions trying to create offense for others. 

It is easy to see that Lander is comfortable handling the ball so hopefully he develops sooner rather later.    I cannot keep up with the COVID rules.  Will he get 5 years of eligibility?  I expect in his mind he won't use all his eligibility but just in case might be nice if this year is a mulligan year for him.   

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Its not even that he played bad D, it's that once Hunter came into the game Butler purposefully gave his man the ball and cleared out to attack him 3-4 times in a row. 

It wasn't just a bad possession or two where he got lost, you could tell Butler specially game-planned to go at him, and when they did they usually scored or got fouled. 

On Lander, im not as high on him currently as other. I'm high on him long term but I think he's in over his head right now. With that said, I'd like to see him play with the starters some to see him with some experience with him. It seems right now that he's on the floor a lot with TJD out and Galloway and Hunter in. That's not giving him a lot of support out there. 

On Lander - but we’re really not disagreeing, the point is he should be getting run now in the early part of the schedule to help him acclimate. We know how talented he is, and Rob was struggling and in foul trouble, a good time to get Lander in with the other guards.  and Butler is not on the level of the teams we’ll be competing with in the B1G. 2 minutes? Wonder how guys like Izzo will use that in recruiting. 
Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like Hunter has more work to do defensively than I thought. My concern is we will need his shooting (and he hit his 3 today I see), and as we’re playing 3 guards / 2 forwards and as he’s not getting much floor time that’s going to hurt us later.

I am not worried about Butler, if we played more guys to help get them ready I wouldn’t care if we lost. Really like the way AF has stepped it up, but unless his shooting has taken a sudden real jump, I don’t expect him to shoot like this consistently going forward, and we may well be offensively challenged again in B1G play, really on coaching decisions made early 

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Wonder how many P5 teams, who have played 7 or so games, have only played two on their home court?

Answered my own question from ESPN:

As for the Hoosiers, along with North Carolina and Stanford, they're among the only Power 5 teams to play at least five of their first seven non-conference, home games on an away or neutral court.

I’ve seen several comments about how Lander and/or Hunter should be getting more minutes. But so far this year, I don’t think their play has warranted it. I understand you want them to develop (especially Lander), but that’s what practice is for, not games that could make a big difference come tourney time. I hope they both improve this year and start earning more minutes. If they do we become a very dangerous team.

I really hope Armaan’s shooting is for real. Obviously 60%+ from 3 isn’t sustainable, but if he can be near a 40% 3 pt shooter the rest of the way, that will make a massive difference for our offense.

Lastly, I really hope Brunk is coming back soon. I think we’ll need him to play some important defensive minutes against some of the B1G bigs.

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He played 2 minutes. You can’t determine if he’s lost in 2 minutes, respectfully. We’ve seen him in early games show very good floor awareness.

Galloway light years better? He’s not a point guard and, clearly, not a scorer. Apples and oranges. He looks solid in the games I’ve watched and excellent downhill, but he hasn’t shot well at all, and has a bad release. His shot needs a lot of work. Again though it’s just not a comparison Galloway is not an on ball player - the players Lander would come in for are Rob and Al.

In the two minutes I saw today, he was totally lost. Including one play where he left a Butler shooter wide open for a practice 3. Surprisingly he got to stay in a while longer after the play but didn't make an impact.

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

8 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

also, i really like the uniqueness of Galloway.  he plays with a lot of pace on the offensive end and is not only pass first, but almost pass only.  he needs to be a little bit of a scoring threat against good teams, but it is nice to see how he sets everyone up.  i think people are going a little overboard with him, but he is a very nice surprise to me.  

Galloway is solid on D and offensively is like a point forward. The scoring isn't there yet, but the passing and decision making is.  If Rob isn't in, I think we need TG there to settle down / organize the offense. Much rather see the ball in   his hands than Al. Let Al bring the ball up but use TG to get the O going. I think it's apparent CAM trusts his decision making.  His drives will start to pay off in time. If that scoring starts to come, I think he will take some of Al's minutes. I am worried B1G teams will learn to play his passes. He does move the ball quick and his passes are usually on target.

As for Lander, he got the couple minutes in the first half but that was when we were falling behind. Remember, we were down 5 at the half- after a small run. It is easy to see why he didn't go back in that half. In the second half, we made our run and guys were playing well so I can't fault CAM for sticking with them. The last thing we needed was a poor sequence turning a 4 point lead into a 4 point deficit. I would have liked him to get a couple minutes late when Rob went to the bench with 4 fouls. Current reality is Lander is not being productive scoring or on D which limits his minutes. 

Rob plays great D and is a nice ball handler. Just wish he would pick a few spots during the game to be more aggressive. I wish we could count on him for 8-10ppg. 

Kind of surprised we have not seen any Geronimo lately. With Brunk out, I'd like to see Geronimo get 1-2 minutes per half in case we need some physicality with TJD and / or Race on the bench. 

13 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Galloway is solid on D and offensively is like a point forward. The scoring isn't there yet, but the passing and decision making is.  If Rob isn't in, I think we need TG there to settle down / organize the offense. Much rather see the ball in   his hands than Al. Let Al bring the ball up but use TG to get the O going. I think it's apparent CAM trusts his decision making.  His drives will start to pay off in time. If that scoring starts to come, I think he will take some of Al's minutes. I am worried B1G teams will learn to play his passes. He does move the ball quick and his passes are usually on target.

As for Lander, he got the couple minutes in the first half but that was when we were falling behind. Remember, we were down 5 at the half- after a small run. It is easy to see why he didn't go back in that half. In the second half, we made our run and guys were playing well so I can't fault CAM for sticking with them. The last thing we needed was a poor sequence turning a 4 point lead into a 4 point deficit. I would have liked him to get a couple minutes late when Rob went to the bench with 4 fouls. Current reality is Lander is not being productive scoring or on D which limits his minutes. 

Rob plays great D and is a nice ball handler. Just wish he would pick a few spots during the game to be more aggressive. I wish we could count on him for 8-10ppg. 

Kind of surprised we have not seen any Geronimo lately. With Brunk out, I'd like to see Geronimo get 1-2 minutes per half in case we need some physicality with TJD and / or Race on the bench. 

Great point about the game flow keeping Lander out. It was critical enough that CAM played TJD with two fouls, which he doesn't normally do, and it paid off as it kept us in striking distance. I was worried when TJD got his second that Butler would push it to double digits before half. 

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Answered my own question from ESPN:

As for the Hoosiers, along with North Carolina and Stanford, they're among the only Power 5 teams to play at least five of their first seven non-conference, home games on an away or neutral court.

How many non conference games do we play in a normal season? Because at 5-2 if we go 10-10 in the big ten we are only 15-12 and that’s tough record to get into tourney

Archived