Butler post game

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

There's absolutely no evidence that this is the case. 

Al Durham started the first 9 games as a freshman and played 19mpg. The next year both Langford and Phinisee (when healthy) started as freshman. Last year TJD started and played as much as anyone, and while his minutes certainly fell off Armaan Franklin started the first 9 games. 

Also, this year Galloway is arguably our 6th man and playing wing minutes ahead of Hunter who is a RS sophomore. 

Its unfortunate, but guys like Geronimo and Lander aren't ready yet and they had the cupcake portion of the schedule eliminated. Most years there would have been 5 more "North Alabama" type games to get them right. This year we only had 2 of those games. 

At least from what I was saying earlier, that's not what I said. I didn't say he plays frosh less because they're frosh. I said he puts frosh on a short leash particularly as to defensive mistakes, and there is a great deal of evidence of that at IU and pre-IU. Hunter last year, for example. He yanked Hunter from games and sat him on the bench and played him less when Hunter made defensive mistakes, when he was out of position, etc., and as his D improved so did his minutes. In the Butler game, as Adragna's well put together (as usual) breakdown showed, CAM yanked Lander shortly after 2 very bad defensive mistakes and after screaming at him, over and over again, on the sideline, and then never put him back in. I hadn't watched the game so I hadn't seen that when I was posting about why in the world he only played 2 minutes -- Adragna's breakdown answered that loud and clear.  

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I love seeing that out of this young man...seems like he gets it.  Can't wait to see him flip the switch.

i am super excited about him!  he's quick as lightning, seems to see the floor very well, and has some nice looking passes.  he's not ready to score at this level yet, but i'd be willing to bet it won't be long until we see that coming around.  just adjusting to the size and speed of the game and a new system.  if he has this attitude (which he should since he should still be in HS), he'll be really good next year and likely be in the NBA after that.  all that said, he's not ready to play in critical points of B1G games right now.  

Just re-watched the game, trying not to look at the ball. Focused on Armaan, Rob, Al, Race, Trey.

Granted it is only one game, but what I saw was Armaan, Trey, and Race played defense (for the most part) to try to deny their man getting the ball. Al & Rob (to an extent) played defense after their man got the ball.

In the first 10 seconds of the game, Armaan put a body block on a Butler guy trying to cut from the left wing to the right. Completely took away the cut, and disrupted the entire offensive movement by Butler. You'll never see that on a stat sheet.

Race & Trey made a point of putting a body on a guy to block out consistently for rebounds.

The more I watch Trey, the more I like him. Good things happen when he's on the court. If he could improve his ball handling skills, I'd rather see him play point, instead of Al. On one play Trayce and Al have everybody else beat down the court. Trayce sets up in the post, and Al dribbles the ball until the other 3 guys are set, rather than feeding Trayce with only one guy on him, and the entire lane wide open to work. Trayce was visibly upset with Al not getting him the ball. You can bet Trey would have fed Trayce in a milli-second.

Sloppy turnovers will be the death knell for this team, unless they eliminate them now...

34 minutes ago, DWB said:

Just re-watched the game, trying not to look at the ball. Focused on Armaan, Rob, Al, Race, Trey.

Granted it is only one game, but what I saw was Armaan, Trey, and Race played defense (for the most part) to try to deny their man getting the ball. Al & Rob (to an extent) played defense after their man got the ball.

In the first 10 seconds of the game, Armaan put a body block on a Butler guy trying to cut from the left wing to the right. Completely took away the cut, and disrupted the entire offensive movement by Butler. You'll never see that on a stat sheet.

Race & Trey made a point of putting a body on a guy to block out consistently for rebounds.

The more I watch Trey, the more I like him. Good things happen when he's on the court. If he could improve his ball handling skills, I'd rather see him play point, instead of Al. On one play Trayce and Al have everybody else beat down the court. Trayce sets up in the post, and Al dribbles the ball until the other 3 guys are set, rather than feeding Trayce with only one guy on him, and the entire lane wide open to work. Trayce was visibly upset with Al not getting him the ball. You can bet Trey would have fed Trayce in a milli-second.

Sloppy turnovers will be the death knell for this team, unless they eliminate them now...

I like to watch them twice, too...I see a lot of things I didn't see the first time...

Yogi Berra was right..."You can observe a lot by just watching."

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i am super excited about him!  he's quick as lightning, seems to see the floor very well, and has some nice looking passes.  he's not ready to score at this level yet, but i'd be willing to bet it won't be long until we see that coming around.  just adjusting to the size and speed of the game and a new system.  if he has this attitude (which he should since he should still be in HS), he'll be really good next year and likely be in the NBA after that.  all that said, he's not ready to play in critical points of B1G games right now.  

I don’t disagree but I’d say it’s more mental.  When he calms down and the game slows down for him, he can score and develop a well rounded game.  As you said, the way he moves is special.  

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t disagree but I’d say it’s more mental.  When he calms down and the game slows down for him, he can score and develop a well rounded game.  As you said, the way he moves is special.  

for sure mental.  in the aspect that he has to slow the game down in his mind a little and understand the things he can't get away with in college that he could in HS, etc.  

Archived