Izzo Hot Seat

1 hour ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

Is Coach Izzo going to get fired? He is losing games and his offense looks terrible. He has missed on a couple recruits as well. Wouldn't be surprised if Michigan State made a change at the end of this year.

I have heard from a very reliable source that this is true. Izzo is gone and MSU is going hard after Archie as his replacement and get them back on track!

Southern I was just being a smart???. No pun intended.

Izzo to me seems tired. Probably a combination of the Covid, all the sexual assault stuff and age.

Many of us believe Izzo is a great coach, (incl me) even if he might be a sleeze bag personally. But he is proving one of my theories wrong...I used to think Knight believed he could take 5 guys off of a street corner, take 3 weeks to practice and he would be able to beat almost anybody. Guess that isn't true, since Izzo appears to be testing the same theory this year.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

While I understand the OP was posting in jest, I do think Izzo is on the down slope of his career...He just doesn't seem to have the fire in the furnace he used to have...

Who could blame him?  Honestly, at this point in my life I would not be interested in a job where I had to kiss teenager's butts every summer and then stroke their over-inflated egos 24/7, 365 in order to earn a paycheck.  The fact that the paycheck is several million a year probably helps at first, but after awhile I would think it would get old calling up some kid and begging him to come play for you every day.

It is only going to get worse when these kids are able to monetize themselves too.  

15 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Who could blame him?  Honestly, at this point in my life I would not be interested in a job where I had to kiss teenager's butts every summer and then stroke their over-inflated egos 24/7, 365 in order to earn a paycheck.  The fact that the paycheck is several million a year probably helps at first, but after awhile I would think it would get old calling up some kid and begging him to come play for you every day.

It is only going to get worse when these kids are able to monetize themselves too.  

Point taken...But I've always believed that in almost any profession, some more than others of course, there's the ascent, the plateau, and then the descent...Coaching in particular...RMK suffered it...I think the Texas Tech gig reinvigorated the fire for a time, but he was past his greatness at the end of his IU tenure...

He was still damn good, but he had set his own bar pretty high...

1 minute ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I think you are missing that there was a class from 2010-2014 that peaked at an elite 8... 

i will give you that, but he did just come off a National Title Runner up followed up by a Final 4. 

He then followed that up with a mediocre year, a S16, S16, E8 and then Final 4.  Not sure what you're driving at.  But if CAM does that, i think i give him a few more year to i guess turn it around?  Not exactly sure what you're driving at other than you think CAM needs more time.  I wouldn't have used Izzo having 2 mediocre years as the benchmark.

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i will give you that, but he did just come off a National Title Runner up followed up by a Final 4. 

He then followed that up with a mediocre year, a S16, S16, E8 and then Final 4.  Not sure what you're driving at.  But if CAM does that, i think i give him a few more year to i guess turn it around?  Not exactly sure what you're driving at other than you think CAM needs more time.  I wouldn't have used Izzo having 2 mediocre years as the benchmark.

I was joking! Obviously, Izzo has a very elite run record - I agree with you on this.

I remember them always saying about 10 years ago that he never had a 4 year class that did not make the FF. 

24 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Point taken...But I've always believed that in almost any profession, some more than others of course, there's the ascent, the plateau, and then the descent...Coaching in particular...RMK suffered it...I think the Texas Tech gig reinvigorated the fire for a time, but he was past his greatness at the end of his IU tenure...

He was still damn good, but he had set his own bar pretty high...

Yeah, I completely agree with that.  At a certain age I think the push stops because you are content with where you are at and you start thinking of an exit plan.  

2 hours ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

Is Coach Izzo going to get fired? He is losing games and his offense looks terrible. He has missed on a couple recruits as well. Wouldn't be surprised if Michigan State made a change at the end of this year.

I think you should post this another two or three times.  Twice already wasn’t enough spam yet.  We need more. 

Archived