What is the current team lacking?

I don't know that this is the right place to put this, but I think this thread is close to running it's course anyway.  I know it's not a very popular system, but when you have a poor shooting team like this, you need easy shots in my mind.  Defense can create that and I think our defense is good enough.  I just sometimes think what if we ran and pushed it every single possession miss or make all game long?  It would require playing more guys more minutes to keep them fresh and demand maximum effort on both ends every possession.  We would certainly have more turnovers and frustrating times, but we'd be even more fun to watch, score more easily, and get more guys more experience.  It would be gold for Lander's and Galloway's game and allow Geronimo to run and use his athleticism.  Give us an identity.  Back to the Hurryin Hoosiers!  Right now we don't have an identity.  We aren't known for toughness or defense.  We aren't known as a team who executes extremely well.  We're not a pound it inside team.  Lord knows we're not a deadly shooting team.  I know this isn't going to happen.  Coaches don't just suddenly change their system, but it would be a system top recruits would want to play in as well.  If we pushed it every possession with Franklin, Al, Galloway, Thompson, TJD, then when someone gets a little tired bring in Lander, RP, Hunter, Geronimo and leave TJD or Race and keep the tempo up... sprinkle Leal in a little and we're developing guys and scoring an fun to watch.  Sorry, just a long daydream that I frequently have.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said in the beginning of the season that we’ll need a healthy and productive Rob if we are going to over achieve. Well, we got one of the two (so far).

That said, if I could pick one role to fill, we need a shooting point guard in the mold of Yogi, Hulls, Alford, etc. A PG that defenders will be forced to guard closely on the perimeter, but also one that’s more aggressive, is consistent and has vision. I realize that those are big names, but just get me someone that hits 3s in the low 40% and has ability to knock down a shot in crunch time. It’s one change that would do wonders for our offense. 

56 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I don't know that this is the right place to put this, but I think this thread is close to running it's course anyway.  I know it's not a very popular system, but when you have a poor shooting team like this, you need easy shots in my mind.  Defense can create that and I think our defense is good enough.  I just sometimes think what if we ran and pushed it every single possession miss or make all game long?  It would require playing more guys more minutes to keep them fresh and demand maximum effort on both ends every possession.  We would certainly have more turnovers and frustrating times, but we'd be even more fun to watch, score more easily, and get more guys more experience.  It would be gold for Lander's and Galloway's game and allow Geronimo to run and use his athleticism.  Give us an identity.  Back to the Hurryin Hoosiers!  Right now we don't have an identity.  We aren't known for toughness or defense.  We aren't known as a team who executes extremely well.  We're not a pound it inside team.  Lord knows we're not a deadly shooting team.  I know this isn't going to happen.  Coaches don't just suddenly change their system, but it would be a system top recruits would want to play in as well.  If we pushed it every possession with Franklin, Al, Galloway, Thompson, TJD, then when someone gets a little tired bring in Lander, RP, Hunter, Geronimo and leave TJD or Race and keep the tempo up... sprinkle Leal in a little and we're developing guys and scoring an fun to watch.  Sorry, just a long daydream that I frequently have.

Would love to see this.  I like archie’s focus on defense but do wish that could translate to a higher energy, attacking offense.  It would obviously result in some TOs but we need some pace with an attacking mentality...not just dribble fast up the court only to dribble for 8 secs out top.  I have heard others say we run NC transition.  I may be missing it but would Love an aggressive transition O with aggressive secondary options.

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

That style is fun to watch and is successful when shots are falling. It's not so much when shots aren't falling.

Arkansas is an uptempo team that has a lot of "shooters". Against Missouri, they lost by 13 even though Ark attempted 20 more shots (71 to 51). One Ark player was 0-11, another was 1-10. They were a combined 0-9 from 3. Their two leading scorers in the game combined to shoot 10-33. As a team they shot less than 27%.

But I agree that pushing tempo, when possible, can lead to more scoring opportunities for a team that is challenged in its half court offense.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

That style is fun to watch and is successful when shots are falling. It's not so much when shots aren't falling.

Arkansas is an uptempo team that has a lot of "shooters". Against Missouri, they lost by 13 even though Ark attempted 20 more shots (71 to 51). One Ark player was 0-11, another was 1-10. They were a combined 0-9 from 3. Their two leading scorers in the game combined to shoot 10-33. As a team they shot less than 27%.

But I agree that pushing tempo, when possible, can lead to more scoring opportunities for a team that is challenged in its half court offense.

and you probably know me from my comments... when i say run every miss or make all game long, it doesn't mean i want to shoot a ton of 3s.  i want them to be easier, open shots or going to the basket.  the style i play when i coach my travel team and the style i'm talking about here should get easier, better shots, but not necessarily 3s.  more turnovers drives me absolutely crazy though.  i didn't used to play this style and now that i do, i often forget we're going to make more mistakes.  

Needs. 

1.  Playmaking guard.   Rob averages 2 assists.  Of course you’re going to have trouble in that case.  He’s like the qb who checks down every time.  Watch him. He’s at top with no creativity.  So you might say, “well Bob, there’s nobody around him to get the ball.”  My answer is why do Franklin or Galloway see the floor and find passes for buckets?  We also know how frustrated TJD when he doesn’t get it.  Need creativity to create opportunities.  It’s lacking. 

2.  Need a wing who can go get a bucket a variety of ways.  This limits us too.  We get bogged down and go into a funk if TJD or Franklin are out or covered.  We have a number of complementary scorers like Thompson or Hunter.  But I’m talking about a guy who can go get a bucket practically on command and can score a variety of ways.  

3.  We could use another big man who can play capable minutes.  

Regarding running, Archie has steadfastly said from the beginning that he wants a hard nosed defensive team that runs.  Sounds good to me.  We haven’t seen it in practice and I think my points one and two above are salient on this.  An athletic wing can do a lot to help there too.  It’s also reason 1001 I would play Lander more  because he can get up and go with his speed with the ball.  Galloway pushes too as end to end he’s very fast too.  Lander is raw and we have to live with some OTJ but there’s obvious untapped potential.  

30 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

A united fan base interested in backing the university they purportedly love. 

i think this is it!  if people on the message board would just stop being negative and critical, recruits would want to come and the guys on the team would feel supported and better about themselves and we'd be National contenders.   

14 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think this is it!  if people on the message board would just stop being negative and critical, recruits would want to come and the guys on the team would feel supported and better about themselves and we'd be National contenders.   

It wouldn't hurt

15 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Sure as hell wouldn’t hurt.

I mean, what does your sarcasm bring to the table? What pearls of wisdom do you have that any coach would embrace and say “ huh, that random message board guy knows something I don’t.”

You can choose to be part of the problem but it means nothing to the program 

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I mean, what does your sarcasm bring to the table? What pearls of wisdom do you have that any coach would embrace and say “ huh, that random message board guy knows something I don’t.”

Better watch out because I have the same concerns about the so called fan base and get lambasted for it.  I know all fan bases have their lunatics but it doesn't mean we have to be just like everyone else.

40 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

you mad bro?  i don't have any delusions that Coach Miller is going to listen to what i have to say on a message board.  like you or anyone else, i just give my opinions.  i would guess that i have 30 more years of coaching experience than you do, but it doesn't mean my pearls of wisdom mean anything.  i personally find it comical that you and Scott think that this message board is any different than any other school.  some who are positive all the time.  some are negative all the time.  some are more in the middle.  isn't that okay?  i'm almost honored that you think my opinions on this message board are part of our program's problem.  it means nothing to the program?  of course it doesn't.  why would it.  sorry you are so angry.  

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

you mad bro?  i don't have any delusions that Coach Miller is going to listen to what i have to say on a message board.  like you or anyone else, i just give my opinions.  i would guess that i have 30 more years of coaching experience than you do, but it doesn't mean my pearls of wisdom mean anything.  i personally find it comical that you and Scott think that this message board is any different than any other school.  some who are positive all the time.  some are negative all the time.  some are more in the middle.  isn't that okay?  i'm almost honored that you think my opinions on this message board are part of our program's problem.  it means nothing to the program?  of course it doesn't.  why would it.  sorry you are so angry.  

Right “bro.” 

Not mad at all. In fact never better.

Decided to take a step back from this board and all negativity. Today was the first I have posted on the basketball forum because of all the bitching.

You go ahead and enjoy your negativity, “bro.”

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Right “bro.” 

Not mad at all. In fact never better.

Decided to take a step back from this board and all negativity. Today was the first I have posted on the basketball forum because of all the bitching.

You go ahead and enjoy your negativity, “bro.”

thanks bro!  have a great day!

I can sum it up in one word. Romeo.

We have enough to be a top half of the B1G good team with more consistent guard play.  But if we want to be elite team we need two huge improvements. Better pg play(someone that can break down a defense and finish or create for others). The other thing is a guard that can get his own shot. Just a guy that can take his man and rise up and score or get all the way to the rim and finish. Like UI has in Dosunmu. I mean for real if we had Rob playing at a high level and say we had Romeo...this would be a team that could win the B1G and make a run in the tournament....even without elite shooting...because our guys can shoot when they are spotted up...just not off dribble or movement.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I can sum it up in one word. Romeo.

We have enough to be a top half of the B1G good team with more consistent guard play.  But if we want to be elite team we need two huge improvements. Better pg play(someone that can break down a defense and finish or create for others). The other thing is a guard that can get his own shot. Just a guy that can take his man and rise up and score or get all the way to the rim and finish. Like UI has in Dosunmu. I mean for real if we had Rob playing at a high level and say we had Romeo...this would be a team that could win the B1G and make a run in the tournament....even without elite shooting...because our guys can shoot when they are spotted up...just not off dribble or movement.

i think we are perfect!  can't get any better.  i have a feeling we will win the rest of our games this year.

Archived